Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Upgrades for 2012 rockhopper
  • goldengus
    Free Member

Hi All

I own a spesh 2012 Rockhpper:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/rockhopper-2012-mountain-bike-ec030686

I was after advice about what to upgrade next, ive had it 2 years and feel like making a couple of changes to improve it. What would you do to upgrade it? Thinking of £200 – £300 budget.

Cheers

cdoc
    Free Member

Depends what it needs, really! What would you like to be better?
    I would look at secondhand forks, brakes(shimano are great value atm),
    or tyres.
    Rear mech and shifters would also be an option, along with pedals too, if still using the plastic ones that came with it.
    Other than that, it looks to be pretty well specced.

Tbh, the most noticeable thing would be forks. XCR’s are a little basic.

goldengus
    Free Member
    cdoc
    Free Member

Yep, look fine. I had some recons which lasted for years.
    Really consider good condition secondhand, though, as you will get a substantial saving on stuff that is only a few months old/taken off a new bike. In fact, there seem to be lots of 100mm forks in the classifieds or on Pinkbike, such as http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1627931/

deluded
    Free Member

As you’ve identified, a lighter more capable fork would make a noticeable difference. I’d be looking at something like this –

http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-recon-gold-rl-solo-air-forks-59434.html

goldengus
    Free Member

Cheers for the links. Defo looking at the forks to upgrade, going to do some research now! thanks again

timidwheeler

I had the same bike. I would agree with the above. I put a cheap Recon silver on mine and it made a massive difference. I also put slx brakes on it as I preferred the shorter levers.

alansd1980

I have the 2012 rockhopper expert and have fiddled with a few bits.

Upgraded the forks to a set of reba team
    Upgraded the wheels to superstar on crests gone tubeless
    Chain, cassette and front mech to xt and taken off the big ring and replaced it with a 36 (If my memory is correct)so now running as a double.

Feels like a pretty competent bike now, have ridden massive natural terrain in the lakes (underbiked but it survived) to black and red trail centre runs and even a handful of xc and endurance races.

Forks made a huge difference, think it dropped 1kg off the weight and as someone that likes mile munching the wheels are a big help as well.

robland
    Free Member

I have the exact same bike i changed the fork to rockshox revaluations made a massive difference its like riding a different bike. I would also consider changing the brakes too.

jairaj

Fork and Wheels are the usual areas where the biggest difference is felt.

You should be able to get a new set of Rock Shox Reba for £300. Not I would recommend Revelations for that bike. Its an XC bike designed for 80 / 100mm of travel. The Reba sounds more suitable to me.

£300 is also usually enough to get a fairly decent wheel set in the sales or on offer.

Best to weight your current wheels so you have a benchmark to compare against when getting a new set.

robland
    Free Member

The revaluation i have on mine are u turn i just have them turned down to 100 the reason i use these fork because i picked them up very cheap second hand. The recons or rebas are probably a better option so i would look at a good second hand fork.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Upgrades for 2012 rockhopper’ is closed to new replies.