Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Upgrade to the On One Emmental rims?
  • motozulu
    Free Member

Thinking of keeping the stock rims that came on the Fatty Trail for winter riding but having a better, more tubeless friendly, summer set – any suggestions? not going Whisky or Nexty levels – 500 quid max spend, less for a good second hand set.
    150/15mm front – 170 QR rear.

Any suggestions?

motozulu
    Free Member

Found a set of Halo Tundra wheels for a good price – anyone ran them? opinions? Look good – hopefully a upgrade on the Emmentals?

wwaswas

tbh, a lot of those ‘stock’ wheels are going to be much of a muchness.

You talk about new rims but do you want a new wheelset?

Not sure what tyres you run but for 4″ tyres Stans Hugo’s have been good for me (I have a pair of 65mm Carbon ones too and have used the On-One rims). JRA do some cheapish Fat hubs for about 200/pair and spokes should be about £70. I reckon you’d get a lighter, better sealed wheelset if you went down that route.

They’re dead easy to set up tubless too which none of the drilled/cut out rims seem to be.

JoeG
    Free Member

I upgraded from the On-One rims to Sun Mulefut Rims which are 80 mm wide. Using their tubeless tape, the tires (Floaters) went on easily. They have a fantastic bead lock to keep the tire on at low pressure, to.

I actually bought that On-One 29er wheelset for the Fatty and used those hubs along with new spokes to build up the wheels,

dovebiker

If you’ve got the decent El Guapo hubs made by Chosen, ditch the Emmental rims and rebuild with something like DT BR710 rims and if you’ve got some money spare, buy some better tyres. You’ll ditch a lot of weight by going tubeless and rolling resistance of a better tyre will be a lot less too – you’ll never want to go back to heavy rims and tyres so little point in keeping them.

bri-72

Avoid halo tundra. I bought as an upgrade to the stock O-O wheels but they share a very similar internal profile and so all the same issues to get tyre seated ok or to run tubeless.

Bought some dtswiss Br710s and never looked back. Light, sturdy and tubeless a breeze.

motozulu
    Free Member

So what size tyre can the Hugo’s take?

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m running a set from JRA that are based around Mulefut 80 rims and they tubeless well.

DT 2250’s (the wheelset) or 710 rims (same rim without hub as individual purchase)_ built on whatever hub you like are probably the best non-carbon option. The ‘710’ is the g weight of the rim. They’re reputed to be tough and they tubeless very well.

motozulu
    Free Member

Oh well, thanks anyway – saw a set of Tundras at Slam69 for a really good price with the added bonus that the Halo hubs allow me to convert the rear to a 10mm bolt thru – which is deffo an upgrade to the QR it currently is.
    I’ll see if I can get them tubeless and stick the JJ’s on as a summer wheelset – sure I can do it as I did the On One rims.

Northwind

TBH the “emmenthal” rims are just a cheap OEM that they’ve put in a wheelset and pretended are something better than they are. They’re actually perfectly fine but not really an upgrade unless your current rims are junk- I was happy getting them in my £500 bike but I wouldn’t choose them. They’re heavy, dent a bit easily and a pain in the arse to tubeless. I think it’s actually the same rim as the Halo Tundra, just with different cutouts.

motozulu
    Free Member

Thanks. Least the Halo ones have funky spokes and better hubs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Upgrade to the On One Emmental rims?’ is closed to new replies.