Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Upgrade my road wheels please?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Currently have these;

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/15273/mavic-ksyrium-elite-s-700c-clincher-road-wheel

Would like a stiffer pair and willing to pay about £850

BadlyWiredDog

I thought the Ksyriums were considered to be quite stiff for the weight? The Bikeradar review actually says:

‘Even when you give it the full ‘Cav’, they feel flex-free, so powerful riders will love them. They’re responsive too.’

I’ve got an older set and never found them flexy, though I guess everyone’s different.

aP
    Free Member

Campagnolo Shamal Ultra – should be under budget as well.

richardthird

SLRs would be the obv choice?

jacob46
    Free Member

Not sure if spokes need tightening but I have a buzzing noise when I’m out the saddle and put the power down. I’ve never messed with a wheel before.

geetee1972
    Free Member

How many road wheel threads lately?

First off check CRC as they have a sale on wheels currently.

Then have a look at Wheelsmiths Aero 50 Clincher

The Wheelsmiths rims are made by Gigantex. I’ve got a set of the 60mm tubulars and am very happy with them. They brake well and have remained true so far.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stiff’s probably the rule rather than the exception. No one wants floppy wheels and with the exception of weight it’s not traded off against anything really. There’s other crieria to considder:

Aero
    Comfort
    Width
    Weight
    Crosswind stability.

If it’s just for occasional 100mile sportives with headphones in then H+son archetypes or velocity A23 on Novatec hubs will be <£300 and rebuildable when you inevitably get involved in a pileup, the added width makes them comfortable and stiffer lateraly.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve heard a few reports that H Plus Son have been struggling with quality consistency lately. A few builders that have previously promoted the Archetype heavily have now stopped building with it as a result.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Not sure if spokes need tightening but I have a buzzing noise when I’m out the saddle and put the power down. I’ve never messed with a wheel before.

Maybe have them looked at, before splooging £850?

TiRed

Stiff? Or Stiff and light? Stiff I’d go with medium section alloy rims h+son SL42 or CXP33s for example, handbuilt with 28 spokes laced into dura ace hubs.

They’ll be stiff alright. But may be heavier than your Ksyriums. Mine creak too btw.

richardthird

Is this the headphone sportive guy then?

Figures.

freeagent
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

I’ve heard a few reports that H Plus Son have been struggling with quality consistency lately. A few builders that have previously promoted the Archetype heavily have now stopped building with it as a result.

Hmmm… Had a good chat on the phone with the guys at Just Riding Along last week before ordering a set of these on Hope hubs…
    They never mentioned any quality issues…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Might want to mention who/what/where, before you slate a product.

ransos
    Free Member

I have H+ Son TB14s. The spoke eyelets have surface rust in a few places (inside of the rim) and the rear rim has gone a bit milky in places, and it won’t polish out.

Not the end of the world, but they’re not cheap rims and I expected better.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I also heard the same thing. Strada wheels don’t want to do them anymore.

chakaping
    Free Member

If ksyriums are too flexy and you have 800 quid to splash, you need to be looking at carbon surely?

Light bicycle seem to be popular, big thread on here about them.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I also heard the same thing. Strada wheels don’t want to do them anymore.

Yes that’s where I saw it:

Strada Says: Archetype

ahwiles
    Free Member

hmm, i’ve just bought a pair of Archetypes…

as i’m a professional measurement geek i thought i’d test them:

(i test all my rims on a CMM)

rim ‘A’ is not bad, straightness and circularity both around 0.1mm, but rim ‘B’ has a flatness of over 0.2, and a circularity of 0.4.

in comparison, all the mavics i’ve looked at have been around 0.1 for both flatness and circularity, ditto for the chinese carbon rims i tested for a colleague.

well, that’s annoying, the ‘nicest’ rims i’ve ever bought also turn out to be the crappiest.

njee20
    Free Member

What do those measurements actually mean? Do you mean the diameter varies by 0.4mm depending on where you measure it?

I suspect most folk would be happy with that degree of tolerance once built. Doesn’t strike me as all that relevant on an alu rim in an unbuilt state…?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

If they’re not good enough for you you can give them to me for free?

ahwiles
    Free Member

What do those measurements actually mean? Do you mean the diameter varies by 0.4mm depending on where you measure it?

i’m professionally obliged to say that there’s a little bit more to it than that, but yes.

(it’s not an oval, it more ‘star’ shaped)

I suspect most folk would be happy with that degree of tolerance once built.

probably true, but my ‘B’ Archetype is already off to a bad start, it’s only going to get worse from here…

i know that you could probably true-up the rim during building, but only by introducing uneven spoke tension.

and mostly, it’s annoying, i’ve bought better rims for less money. These are supposed to be manufactured with “impeccable workmanship”.

wanmankylung – Member
    If they’re not good enough for you you can give them to me for free?

£100+postage.

njee20
    Free Member

Can the human eye even detect 0.2mm variation in lateral trueness?! How much do you reckon that corresponds to spoke tension variation? 1KgF!?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i know that you could probably true-up the rim during building, but only by introducing uneven spoke tension.

<1mm radial is probably about as tolerant as I could build anyway! Axial I’d aim for perfect but my cheap stand probably limits it to 0.5mm or so.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Hmm – I wonder how much the wheel deforms during use. I’d be guessing that 0.2mm might not be far away.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Upgrade my road wheels please?’ is closed to new replies.