• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gb1m.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Upgrade Fox 2013 Evo 34 TALAS 29 140mm or new Pikes RCT3 ?
  • As per the tile (it’s what came on my Cube Stereo).

Should I upgrade (FIT only or Kashima as well) , buy new Pikes RCT3 or other (suggestions welcome) and sell on the old (if I can)?

Ride mainly trail / quarries and some rocky downhill over the Pennines near Oldham and Rochdale, but I’m not light at 18st and 6’3 ish.

Thanks in advance for you feedback.

chestrockwell

Think it all comes down to what you want to spend. Upgrading the ones you have is the cheaper option but if you have the available funds I’d be getting the Pikes.

br
    Free Member

I’m guessing that there isn’t much difference in the price, so buy Pikes and put the Fox’s in the garage – a spare pair of forks WILL always be handy.

rhayter

Yeah, doing the FIT and kashima upgrades will cost you almost the same as a pair of Pikes from CRC. But then you probably know that already.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Pikes all the way, just changed my Foxs to them, best change I’ve ever made

jairaj

Not sure the kashima coating is worth it. Many people stating the new low friction seals are where most the performance gain is.

I would get the price of a custom tune on the fork and compare that with the price of a Pike. I think a custom tune would be more beneficial as your weight is on the upper end of the scale so the fork may not perform well even with a FIT damper.

julzm
    Free Member

Try j-tech. They sometimes do trade ins. Depends on age and condition of your current forks.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

+ 1 for Pikes.

I’ve only just got mine & not actually built the bike up as I’m waiting on my frame.

But looks wise, they are very nice indeed! 🙂

Cheapest I found:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/64996/RockShox_Pike_RCT3_Solo_Air_51mm_Offset_Taper_29er_2015_Forks

Just need to decide on a 46 or 51mm offset……

chakaping
    Free Member

Pike RC from Alltricks and sell your Fox on eBay.

Probably work out cheaper than getting the Fox poshed up.

Onzadog
    Free Member

In true stw style, I’ll suggest neither of the options you have asked us to consider and recommend what I have!

For both my Fox 36 forx, I’ve fitted avalanche dampers. They make kits for both the pike and the Fox 34 as well. The damping is way better than my mates pike, we’ll worth it I think.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m with jairaj and Onzadog. At your weight I think tuning is a good option and in my experience a Push tuned 34 will feel better than a standard Pike, (although a standard Pike will most likely feel better than your 34), and if you don’t mind spending a bit more an Avalanche open bath cartridge is a good shout too. I’ve had my Avalanche 150mm 29er Pike since April, and as far as I’m concerned it was worth every penny, but having said that my mates recently Push’d 34 Float feels bloody good too. It’s certainly making me think twice about ordering another Avy cartridge for my 29er 140mm 34 Float.

Many thanks for the feedback and yes you’ve now got me thinking of a Push or Avalanche upgrade instead.

Any companies that you can recommend for me to make enquiries with to get the upgrades done ?

Again many thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated.

I’m also keen to understand the workings or a fork and so any links to good explanations on the web would be appreciated.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I don’t like the linear spring in a talas. I find the progressive spring in a Float to give far better feel and Im able to get in to a turn at a higher speed and get better small bump compliance.

So: I’d convert the Talas to Float (£70 for the kit) or go for the Pike, which I found to be about as stiff as the 36 Floats they replaced and a good deal lighter.

jairaj

Not sure if you are still shopping around Ernie?

But if you are talk to any suspension tuner eg Loco Tuning, J-tech etc … They can help you get a custom tune on your forks. You don’t necessarily need a whole new damper. I think Fox use shim stacks, these can be adjusted by someone who knows what they are doing so the normal operating window of the fork suits your weight and riding style better.

I’m not saying don’t get a new damper, just that you maybe able to get a more cost effective performance upgrade. Avalanche dampers and others have very good reputations so I’m sure they’ll give you better performance but I also think factory set forks are made for Mr Average and if you are not Mr Average the forks may not work as well as intended.

mildred

How do folk get their forks tuned by Avalanche? Stendec used to be listed as their UK agent, but I’ve emailed them a few times and had no replies.

br
    Free Member

I’m also keen to understand the workings or a fork and so any links to good explanations on the web would be appreciated.

If this is the case, forget spending any money until you’ve set them up ‘properly’. Start with Fox’s website, as it explains exactly how your forks work and how to set them up.

http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/013/index.html

Also worth looking at the shock too.

Jairaj, i was thinking along those lines and having read other suspension posts had Loco and j-tech on the radar. The fork needs a service and I was thinking of combining a tune and service as one option, or maybe a change to a float and a tune as another option, or maybe a change to the newer FIT talas or float with a tune as another option. Just want to make sure the money I spend is not wasted.

b r, I have done the fox setup, a few times to be honest, but not having ridden a float or newer FIT version of foxes fork I assume I’m missing out. I’m swayed by all the reviews to try and get an improvement, as everyone says the 2013 fox forks are lacking and the 2014 / 2015 foxes are more sorted, ditto the original pike option. I guess I’m guilty of wanting to have a good parts list from which I can start to hone to my taste / riding etc. As for the shock, I managed to pick up as new fox factory ctd one recently, to replace the evo ctd that is stock on the cube stereo. I’m assuming I can get this tuned at the same time as the fork.

Again, many thanks for the feedback it is appreciated.

gb1m
    Free Member

I’ve also got the same dilemma. I have a set of talas 34’s on one bike and a set of pikes on the other.

The Pikes do feel really good but I’m not to happy with the quality , they’ve got 5mm play in the top of the travel and the paint chips off them far to easily . A few friends of mine have there’s sinking about 10 – 15mm into there travel .

The foxes on the other hand seem to better made although feel crap on the damping in comparison. February edition Mbr mag came through the door the other day and there’s an artical in there titled “Make your old fox fly” . It goes on to say that mojo can put in a shorter negative spring and Rad valve to improve mid stroke support. Not cheap mind , £225 but that does included a full service .

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Upgrade Fox 2013 Evo 34 TALAS 29 140mm or new Pikes RCT3 ?’ is closed to new replies.