Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Upfront apologies, log/multi fuel burner, will I regret buying a 'cheaper' one?
  • jackal
    Free Member

More specifically a Firefox (5 classic) or a Tiger?

Both of these come in around £400, which really is the max I’m looking to spend.
    Anyone got one? What is the build quality like and are spare parts available?
    Any other advice (even if it is ‘spend more’, ha).

😀

Merak

My Aga Little Wenlock was only slightly more than your budget..

ourmaninthenorth

Of course you’ll regret it.

COZ UR BRNR WIL B SARCIN INNIT BRUV

(Proper answer – no idea about those models. Whatever you get it’ll be ace!)

spooky_b329

My Firefox 5 is great, but I don’t need the multifuel so bought the woodburning kit a year later and now its brilliant.

(I’ve got the more rounded (cleanburn) version with three vents on the bottom of the door) Not the Classic.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/firefox-5-multifuel-anyone-bought-the-woodburning-kit

jackal
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yes spooky, that’s the one I’m looking at too. TBH I’m looking to burn mostly wood so would probably benefit from the wood burning kit, it still running ok? Did you fit a liner in the end and did it make a big difference?

I think the cheapest I’ve found it online is £375, the aga appears to be around £550….

Davesport

Leftfield question for Jackal…Have you ever owned a Caterham ? 😀

spooky_b329

No liner and running great on seasoned logs from a local supplier. This reminds me to get the multifuel kit on ebay now everyone is readying them for the winter!

Edit: There is a Firefox 5 on eBay with the woodburning kit included, bids at £23 so far! Only used for wood so presumably not overheated.

jackal
    Free Member

Davesport, errr not specifically a caterham but yes a lotus 7 inspired kit car…..?? 😆

Davesport

Different Jackal then 😀 The one in question used to cut around in a 2 litre Duratec Caterham prior to a big wipeout at Spa.

jackal
    Free Member

Any other options/opinions around this price point?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Yes.

You will regret it.

My advice – is the same I give to any non-bikers thinking of buying a bike:

Get the most expensive one you can afford.

I bought a £400 burner – and regretted it. Should’ve gone for a £800 Norwegian one.. 🙄

bedmaker

My local stove shop sells this Hamlet 5 for £400. The first stove I’d recommend to anyone at that budget.
    It’s the old Aarrow Eco 5 rebadged. A good solid stove with easy spares availability, steel rather than (cheap) cast so more robust.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Upfront apologies, log/multi fuel burner, will I regret buying a 'cheaper' one?’ is closed to new replies.