Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • updating my fork… is there any point? (26")
  • robgclarkson
    Free Member

so, i can get a 2017 Pike rct3 solo air 160 for a good price, at the moment i have a 2011 fox 36 talas 160-120…. my current fork works well, but there is stanchion wear visible (though it doesn’t affect the ride at all, all still sealed, no loss of air or oil, etc)…

is there much point in upgrading to the latest fork on a 26″ bike? will i notice a difference? am i throwing (yet more) good money after bad?

the bike is a much loved Yeti SB66c fwiw

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

if you intend to keep the bike for a while, then yes in my opinion.

MartynS

What’s a good price??

I’m runnimg a 27.5 MRP stage 150 fork on my 26 pivot Mach 5.7. I came from s fox float 32 so I noticed a huge difference…

I suspect it will be like this for a while.,!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

If you’re happy with the fork why not get new stanchions,or are they to expensive / unobtainium?

RustyMac

What would increasing the ac length by 10mm do to the other geometry of the bike?

AC of a pike 27.5 at 150mm = the same AC of a 26″ pike at 160mm according to SRAM @ 542mm. How does this size up with a 36 talas at 160mm?

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/pike-rct3

@MartynS alloy or carbon pivot? And with a 26 or 27.5 wheel

robgclarkson
    Free Member

a good price is sub £400 for a brand new one, warrantied etc… CRC are knocking them out for £650….

and yes, new stanchions are pretty much the same price as the new fork, so why bother? i still think my existing forks are worth at least £130 as the function perfectly, just look a bit pants (i suppose!)… subtract that away from the purchase price of the Pike and it’s even cheaper still

and i do intend to keep the bike for a while… but the main reason is because it’s worth sweet FA on the 2nd hand market since the advent of 27.5″ wheels…

Rusty, that’s an interesting point…. i’ll get the tape measure out!

MartynS

@rusty
    Carbon, 26in wheel.

Rosss
    Free Member

I’d go for that 100%.

From what I’ve read the sb66c is one of the best bikes going regardless of wheel size. I had 2012 talas 36 on my mojo and went to new pikes. The difference was far bigger than 26 to 650b ever was.

For sub £400 you can’t go wrong. I’ve got a set of 26 pikes for sale and that’s deperessing as I was hoping for £300 for mine!

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Rosss….. yep, it’s a great bike in fairness… once you come to terms with the bearings it eats, and i’ve changed them so often now it’s not really an issue any more!

i’m sorely, sorely tempted… can you tell it’s pay day!! 😳

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes get the new forks. No intention of changing my 2012 Covert 26″ looking at new Forks too. I understand people like changing bikes but if you find a good ‘un just keep it and work with it.

molgrips
    Free Member

What difference does the second hand price make? A bike you like is a bike you like.

Ambrose

Regen suspension did me proud. Great service at very reasonable prices indeed. I opted for a total refurb, they advised me that only one leg needed replacing, I was happy to hear that. Almost a year since the work on my forks was done I have no complaints or worries whatsoever with their work at all and would thoroughly recommend them.

http://regensuspension.co.uk/

robgclarkson
    Free Member

bought the Pikes 😳 , sold the Fox 8)

kelvin

Sub £400?
    Where from?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

alltricks.fr i had a £66 credit note from there, & everyone knows that credit notes aren’t real money!!

even without that, they’re £404

click for a bargain

kelvin

£340 is a no brainer.

I’m twitching at £400.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘updating my fork… is there any point? (26")’ is closed to new replies.