Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Updating an old road bike- law of diminishing returns (advice)
  • hora
    Free Member

So I quite like this bike. The wheels are good. No flex, no problems, true etc.

I was thinking could I upgrade the forks to carbon?

Could I add a later crank (compact) and groupset? Currently on Shimano 600 groupset. The cassette is 6-ringed. Possible?

Everything else really I’d keep. As I like the bike overall.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Having briefly considered doing something similar with an old steel frame… you could but it’s a PITA. The steerer tube is probably not the right size for a modern headset or fork but that can probably be bodged.

Modern group, you could fit one, but you would probably need a new rear wheel (or at least a new free hub on the old wheel). And your frame might need a bit of spacing out to fit new hub width.

I’d leave it as is, enjoy it for what it is. If you want a “modern” road bike, buy that RT-58 🙂

Is there a problem with it that you are trying to solve?

crispycross
    Free Member

That’s lovely. You sure you want to change the forks? You may find it a bit tricky to find carbon forks for a 1″ steerer. That was the only problem I had when I refurbished an old steel road bike. Tifosi make some but that was all I could find. You’ve also got a pretty high crown on those forks so you might fiddle with the handling if you can’t match it. You’ll be able to add any modern groupset – I’m using 10 sp 105 – with cable stop/adjusters on the downtube shifter mounts. You probably won’t be able to put a 10sp cassette straight on – if you’ve got a freehub you may only need to replace that. I’d be surprised if you could find a compact square taper chainset so you’ll need a new BB too.

hora
    Free Member

If you want a “modern” road bike, buy that RT-58

Is there a problem with it that you are trying to solve?

I was about to buy a RT57 but they are out of stock until June. Brant should airfreight them in 🙂

I’ve done two rides on it so far- one 33mile last Sunday and 27miles last night.

mrblobby
    Free Member

So what is it you want to change? Want STIs? Want to lose some weight off it? Want easier gearing?

hora
    Free Member

Not sure- I really like it. Its in great condition. It’d be criminal to singlespeed it as its not a ratback and neither are any of the components.

jonathan
    Free Member

That’s a bit of a classic there – I’d just ride it and enjoy it for what it is. Everything on it looks great kit (for its time) and it all obviously works well. It would be a bit of a shame to start chopping it about. Be patient, wait for a “modern” bike and think of it as a reflection on the modern bike experience – so you’ll appreciate the differences even more.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cranks yes, they’ll be fine. Probably with a new front mech though as old ones are much much smaller so can’t reach a 36t chainring.

Threaded carbon forks are available, but are pretty niche and likely won’t add much to the ride (just save some weight).

If the rear has a freehub it might be internaly threaded for a modern cassette, old ones are externaly threaded (smallest sprocet is a lockring), otherwise it would need a new hub, but the mech and shifter will still work in friction mode.

hora
    Free Member

jonathan True/agree. Will keep it as is. I should be its careful custodian not a chopper/wrecker.

plus-one

Gorgeous old bike I’d keep as is and use it on nice sunny days for a gentle poodle/cafe run 🙂

Failing that if you do upgrade I may be interested in groupset 😉

TiRed

Keep it as it is. Shimano 600 is Ultegra and very nice it is too.

If you really want to go the upgrade route, first thing I’d change is the tyres to something a lot more modern. Schwalbe Durano S in 25c or even nicer Schwalbe Ones. There has been a huge change in quality of rubber.

Shifting with that groupset was excellent with downtube shifters. But if you want to upgrade it won’t be cheap: I’d look for used Ultegra 6600 10 speed shifters and a new wheelset. The rear can be respaced for 10 speed with ease. (Or grunting and a piece of wood).

One inch carbon forks are available. But please don’t.

Tyres will be the biggest upgrade.

RustySpanner

I started off like that and ended up with this 🙂

Ended up replacing the knackered drivetrain and wheels, bar tape, pedals etc.
    Now got a Rolls on it too.

Cost a lot more than it’s worth, but it’s a bit different and fun to ride.

On the other hand, I could have had a nice Decathlon or discounted Allez for the same price.

But yours really is a nice frame Hora, if it was mine I’d go for it without a second thought.

crispycross
    Free Member

^ That’s quite tidy. I did a similar job on a 20 yr old Pinarello. Respray, new steel aheadset forks as the old ones had shagged chrome, 105 groupset, new 3T bars and stem – kept the old Shimano 600 chainset though as I think it’s a very elegant shape. It’s like having it new all over again 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Id put modern tires on and a modern shaped bar simply because its not 1982 any more.

Possibly some modern brake pads

Everything else id leave

Certainly wouldnt get into new gruppos and wheels for it

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d say keep it original.

If you want to replace stuff that doesn’t work very well, then replace it with like for like but better quality (ie: NOS or hardly used stuff)

Putting carbon anything on it will demote it to shiteheap within seconds of taking it out on the road.

But I agree to some extent it does look heavy, so start with some NOS/classic wheels/wheelbuilds then move to seatpost/bars keeping it all true in nature to that was intended when new.

DOn’t start polishing it, the minuite you do you’ll get a horrid mix of stuff that comes up well and stuff that doesn’t and it’ll look like tarts handbag.

HTH

tonyg2003

I have a 653 road bike that I have owned since 1995. It now has 1inch carbon fork (you can find them), 1inch a headset (cane creek) and OS ritchey stem/bars and match seatpost. It rides beautifully.

ahwiles
    Free Member

while we’re all here…

what chainset would look nice / work well on my dad’s old dawes?

i’d post a picture, but flickr’s changed, and now i don’t know how.

(i’ve got no idea how that happened)

RustySpanner

bikebouy – Member

If you want to replace stuff that doesn’t work very well, then replace it with like for like but better quality (ie: NOS or hardly used stuff)

That frame & fork of Hora’s is lovely as it is.
    Local maker too.

Loads of NOS out there.
    Chainset & cassette from Spa, kept the 8 speed shifters, brakes, forks etc.

Wheels are ugly but were cheap from Merlin and are very tough. Impressed.

Cost £400 all in, saddle, tape, cages, pedals etc…
    Bought it for £120.

faustus

It’s worth sticking with the old bits for a while. But, my brother has a number of late-80’s peugeot race bikes in various reynolds flavours, and he uses them with a mix of old and new kit. He built one bike up with Campag veloce transmission (new hubs), and it’s a really nice classic looking setup but with compact rings and crisp ten speed STI style shifting (and a nicer looking lever). Ribble do excellent deals on this stuff. It’s really worth keeping the frameset as it is, it’s lovely looking and probably quite forgiving. A carbon fork might make it feel quite harsh.

brant
    Free Member

Brant should airfreight them in

That is with airfreighting them in.

We might have got a chance of some in sooner.

Preorders are being taken though.

RustySpanner

Oh, btw, according to frame size, awhiles dad, Hora, me;

hora
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – nothing is worn though. Its literally like its been stored in garage for over two decades (the seller said this- I was abit sceptical but the first ride showed how much grease/how smooth etc etc it rolls and shifts gear and between front rings).

We might have got a chance of some in sooner.

Oh hello, possibly next month?

brant
    Free Member

Oh hello, possibly next month?

I’m hearing that we may have some qty shipping at end of this month, for middle of next month.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

while we’re all here…

what chainset would look nice / work well on my dad’s old dawes?

If you want something modern the campag athena non carbon cranksets are beautiful and would probably look good. If they’re too much I’d look at old school stuff or NOS. Modern shimano or SRAM stuff would look out of place.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Where’d you find that?

My memories of Chris was he was a bit moody, he’d just scowl at you when you were in the shop.

Don’t think he liked teenagers.

The shop’s still around so get it in there, they might buy it off you.

RustySpanner

He told me off for taking my bike into the shop. 😀

eyerideit
    Free Member

Glad to know it’s not just me then.

Service with a scowl. 😉

hora
    Free Member

As soon as I get a carbon road bike I’ll be selling it.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Just make sure the saddle is horizontal and all will be well.

Looks like it’s owned by a student like that.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks like it’s owned by a student like that.

Not helped by those pedals.

acjim
    Free Member

If it was me I would probably get some bar end shifters, alu beaten mudguards and a nice coordinated set of tape and saddle in tan – go retro!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Updating an old road bike- law of diminishing returns (advice)’ is closed to new replies.