Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Up Yours from Widgit
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

I took delivery of a Widgit the other day, only to realise I didn’t need it…

So, I contacted Widgit (Australia) – Paul Haggarty the owner, to inquire about a return/refund (£100)

He replied to my second email and his short one line reply was ‘…we don’t do returns, bye, Paul’

I sent him another mail saying I hadn’t opened the packet, and that I would pay postage both ways. He has not replied so I thought I would post up my experience for the whole world to Google from here on when they search for Paul Haggarty’s Widgit customer relations

Cheers Paul

Bazz

Post in more places for maximum googleness!

Seems like a good product, but based on that level of customer service he won’t get any trade from me!

alexonabike

Is there such thing as an AUS equivalent to the distance selling regs here in the UK?

woody2000

He’s selling into the UK, so has to comply with local regs, doesn’t he?

Andy

‘…we don’t do returns, bye’

Hmmm where have I heard that before Nigel? 😆

big_scot_nanny

i haven’t had to return anything, but my buying experience was great. wanted a silver coloured one to match the bike, he had one made and charged me the same price. I was happy. Just for a bit of balance mind, but that does sound a bit off.

Kev

neninja
    Free Member

Perhaps there should be a group email to him ‘We don’t buy from tossers, bye, STW collective’

theotherjonv

£100!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why should he accept a return? No ;legal or moral obligation if the product is as described – just because you changed your mind. Many retailers will not do returns for goods correctly supplied

ojom
    Free Member

TJ – DS regs in this country allow you 7 days to return no question.

How this translates to Aus selling into UK i am not sure.

In person in a shop – you have no right to change your mind.

I changed our policy to 14 days on line and in person to make it simpler to manage.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed TBC – But DS does not cover stuff from out of the country IIRC

ojom
    Free Member

Worth a bit of research i would say.

Gordy
    Free Member

Credit card company might be able to sort it.

PS – that’s pretty shit customer service btw.

keavo
    Free Member

be aware that the widgit doesn’t work on all bikes and you’ll lose out taxes and postage both ways if you need to send it back.

andyl
    Free Member

Doesnt look like anything that can’t be done with a couple of bash rings anyway. But then I guess the Aussies aren’t really known for their innovation.

Looking at their design I would have done it a lot differently. If you want a nice light XC product I bet you could get a nice British company like fibrelyte to make you up some nice carbon fibre plates that would weigh and cost less.

kamina
    Free Member

Well it’s not exactly easy with just bash rings. The ring mounts on the granny place, but slightly outbound to have clearence. With a diy job you would either mount in the middle (worse chainline) or granny (won’t fit a lot of frames). It’s also pretty light.

That said, despite having the appearence of something with a bash, it does not actually. To save weight the alloy on the sides is very thin and can’t really take any hits. A few friends killed theirs, and I had to work it with pliers after almost every ride. I ended up modding it and a bash so that I can actually allow it to touch things. I do think that should be more clearly emphasized in their marketing.

But other then the weakness and crazy price it is actually a nice product. As is I would not purchase another, but if they made one with a proper integrated bash and a bit of a lower price I could reconsider.

cynic-al
    Free Member

so the OP ordered something and made a mistake?

Sorry, tough cheese. No DS regs apply, it’s back to contract law like it used to be.

Just ebay it.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Too true al, but still pretty sh1te PR

Also what about the devise not working on every bike as talked about above and here, with no mention on his site…?

Oxboy
    Free Member

I reckon he’s still smarting because we won the ashes in his backyard!

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Australian distance selling laws (its a commonwealth country after all).
    One thing; isn’t widget based in flooded brisbane or weather batter QLD?
    http://www.laposte-export-solutions.co.uk/uk/markets/country-profiles/australia/regulations-of-distance-selling
    (not read them, so can’t comment)

cynic-al
    Free Member

bonesetter – Member
    Too true al, but still pretty sh1te PR

Have you considered that consumer stuff may be entirely different in Aus and this would not be viewed so badly over here?

If it’s incompatible then you may have a point (if he advised you it was compatible) – but that’s not what you said at the start.

Commonwealth = one Jurisdiction LOL

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’m giving feedback on my buying experience.

I think potential buyers would like to be forewarned about possible pitfalls buying from Paul Haggerty and the fact Widgits simply just do not work on some bikes

keavo ended up stuck with his, being incompatible with his bike. I am stuck with mine

takisawa2

I wouldnt have risked £100 unless I knew it would fit.
    Tis crap service though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

poor service he may be within hid sleagl rights but still poor Happy to ignroe everything they ever do and slag them off from now on as it is just not cricket is it Paul

keavo
    Free Member

i got a refund minus post and taxes. no mention that the item might not work on the website. no suggestion from paul that it might not work when i emailed him before i bought it. haven’t checked recently but the website wasn’t updated with further info after i returned it. it appears paul will happily sell the widgit to anyone, but its all at the buyers risk. it felt like i had done some r&d on the product and paid a small price for the privelidge of doing so.
    however, its a reasonable product that will probably work on most bikes.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

@cynical

Commonwealth = one Jurisdiction LOL

I assume that was aimed at me. I never said it was one jurisdiction did I. Had you read the page I linked and engage your small brain, you would have been able to find all the information regarding Australian trade law.
    My comment about it being a commonwealth country was made because therefore Australia has strong trade agreements with the UK, and many of its laws are similar.

Consumer law in Queensland
    http://www.consumerlaw.gov.au/content/Content.aspx?doc=current_laws/qld.htm
    Loads of info. links to everything. Can be found from the link I posted before
    Also this one
    http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/268478

boblo
    Free Member

Awww diddums… So Australia is a Commonwealth country…so what? Even if their trade laws were an exact facsimile of the UK’s… so what? It’s a sovereign counry as is the UK. There are no cross border distance selling regs to hide behind in order to escape from your mistake.

You bought the wrong thing from the other side of the world without a) checking it would fit and b) the returns policy if it didn’t. Then you come here bad mouthing a supplier because he won’t compensate for your screw up?

Why should he? Customer service? I’m pretty sure your sort of customer he could do well without.

Oh, and BTW, just wait till Elf finds out about your carbon footprint. oooo eck….

Bloody whingers, take some responsibility for your actions.

keavo
    Free Member

don’t think i’m whinging. i lost a bit of money and put it down to experience a long time ago.

khani
    Free Member

Awww diddums

I’m pretty sure your sort of customer he could do well without.

Bloody whingers, take some responsibility for your actions.

😯 Bad day?

boblo
    Free Member

khani – Member

Bad day?

OK, perhaps it was a bit strong. Sorry 🙂

But c’mon, who buys something from Autralia and then expects ‘distance selling’ regs (bloody great distance) to cover them for buying the wrong thing? Really! (best Linda Snell impression required).

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hey, it’s a global village, right?

My Nightlightling light I bought from NZ. Have bought many frames from US, and sent some back for warranty, all without problem. May as well have been from CRC – heck across the channel, across the pond, or the opposite hemisphere, all’s the same

I suppose you’ll be listening to that edition then 😉

boblo
    Free Member

I suppose you’ll be listening to that edition then

I did.. and it was shite… Lines delivered in a robotic monotone, fair spoilt my daily fix it did.

Yeah, I know we can (and do) buy allsorts from everywhere now but, but, but… If your’re nor sure about fit/form/function, you should really be sure when buying outside of ‘our’ jurisdiction. Yes, traders do change stuff but that’s their choice and comes under goodwill.

When you think of all the aggro of posting something out for overseas, the customs declaration etc, you can understand why they may not wish to take things back.

I just though it a bit unfair badmouthing a trader because the OP had failed to ensure the kit was right and returnable before buying it.

That’s all. 🙂

khani
    Free Member

Some traders are good some traders are bad, you live and learn.
    That’s where forums are useful, I think the op’s gripe was more the unhelpful curt response rather than the lack of a refund. No info about incompatibility probs on the website either,
    But ultimately you risk it for a biscuit when buying from small traders overseas.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dirtynap – Member

I assume that was aimed at me. I never said it was one jurisdiction did I. Had you read the page I linked and engage your small brain, you would have been able to find all the information regarding Australian trade law.
    My comment about it being a commonwealth country was made because therefore Australia has strong trade agreements with the UK, and many of its laws are similar.

Please stop the personal attacks, can you not take a joke? You want to battle me? 😉

What strong trade agreements does Aus have with the UK? It’s about the farthest nation away from us, has high labour costs, I’d guess it’s way down the list of countries we trade with. Yes the laws have the same roots but that applies to case-law more than statute, and IIRC UK has cross-jurisdictional distance-selling regs of sorts due to being in the EC but Aus has nothing comparable.

Happy to be corrected.

LoCo
    Free Member

Fail I’m afraid, I have customers from various countries and all would recieve a refund (less postage) if the item was still in the condition it left the workshop in as would most if the other companies I have worked for ( as long as you caught them on a good day 😯 )

Not @ Al, he’s a feisty one tonight 😀

druidh
    Free Member

boblo – Member
    I just though it a bit unfair badmouthing a trader because the OP had failed to ensure the kit was right and returnable before buying it.

The reason for returning it subtly changed as the thread developed though – just in order to get more folk on-side? First of all, it was “I didn’t need it”, now it’s all about the fact that it’s not suitable.

boblo
    Free Member

@ DruidH Yep, never let the facts get in the way of a good whinge 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

I (OP) don’t now need it.

Keavo – came in with similar handling who found his Widgit didn’t work on his frame

Both of us have received the brash end of Haggerty’s PR

cynic-al
    Free Member

LoCo – you noes it, DO NOT MESS 😡

LoCo
    Free Member

Mummy! 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Up Yours from Widgit’ is closed to new replies.