Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Unwanted random cog changes.
  • jerrys
    Free Member

Just taken my recently built up Kaff 2 for a shakedown spin. generally okay, although the bike occasionally changed gear on me automatically (or attempted to). I know that I have a slightly stiff chain link as i could hear it. Is this likely to have caused the problem, or do I need to tweak the derailleur? It seemed to be a bit arbitrary on whether it was trying to shift up or down and was a bit random (but more occurred more often when I was in the larger sprockets on the back). For info, chain and crankset were brand new, 11/32 cassette has about 400 miles on it (I’ve temporarily borrowed the wheels off my CdF).

Cheers !

wiggles
    Free Member

Try adjusting the cable tension.

jerrys
    Free Member

I did have a fiddle, will do it a bit more 🙂

More or less tension, that is the question – probably less if it was trying to change to a larger sprocket?

chipster

Loosen the stiff link off first, to get rid of that possible problem. (Use the back chain rest on your chain tool to push the rivet one way or the other)

wilburt
    Free Member

Setting up gears it pretty simple, there’s a few bits to look out for but rule#1 is put the rear gears in the smallest cog at which point there should be neither tension nor slack in the cable.

shedfull
    Free Member

Lots of things to check – derailleur hanger alignment could be out, it could be a cassette spacer issue (is it 10 speed on an 11 speed compatible freehub?) or play in the cassette or freehub. Also, I’d be wary of running a new chain on a 400 mile cassette if the previous chain was well worn.

jerrys
    Free Member

Well I seem to have sorted it.

Managed to free up link and played with the cable tension. Took it for a 40 mile spin with no issues – apart from the front mech trying to migrate down the downtube as I hadn’t tightened it enough. Took me ages to work out why it wouldn’t shift into the big ring until I realised the mech was actually contacting the teeth – doh!.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Unwanted random cog changes.’ is closed to new replies.