Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Unsolicited phone calls
  • andybrad

So the WiFi has popped some stuff on Gumtree and has put her phone number on there. She’s not Internet savvy and it’s all a big scary thing. This is the first time she’s sold stuff like this.
    (it’s childrens stuff like a grow egg for example)

Anyhow late last night she started getting some very abusive calls from a private number. We can’t seem to block it.

She’s very upset obviously. How can I stop this?

richmars

If you’re on BT you can block it via their web site, and if you know the number.
    Edit do you mean private as in withheld? I think you can still block these with BT.

martinhutch

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisance-calls-and-messages/abusive-and-threatening-calls

Basically your provider should be able to block all anonymous calls, and obviously if it’s a known landline number they should be able to advise as well.

nickjb
    Free Member

Obviously a bit late now but for Gumtree I always use email. They don’t give out your email its just a special Gumtree one. Its much easier to filter out the idiots and time wasters

andybrad

A blocked number. We’re on ee they day they can’t block anything.

martinhutch

Probably the only option is getting hold of a handset that blocks anonymous calls. You could always put it on Gumtree after a few months if the calls stop. 🙂

EDIT: Assuming landline here.

nickjb
    Free Member

Can you block all private numbers from the phone (ie using phone software rather than ee)? Mine you just tap the call in the call history and it gives you some options.

edlong
    Free Member

very abusive calls

Would that not be a police matter?

mattyfez

If it’s a landline number you’re basically stuck with the above options I.e whatever your provider can block.
    Other option might be leave the phone unplugged until they get bored.

If it’s an android mobile, newer handsets have blacklisting features including for withheld numbers. Or for older ones there are apps that you can download that do the same.

stevextc
    Free Member

I can’t block with-held numbers as work always comes through as with-held (presumably they use the same VoIP as the scammers and unsolicited callers … but I also get valid calls from blocked numbers like Dr’s surgery and bank …

I find these really annoying and when trying to get rid of them some quickly turn abusive.
    Really annoying as I have to pay to receive these when I’m abroad (which is often)

My personal no. is also on EE … and only fix (whilst keeping my job) seems to be to change number until EE sell your number to some new organisations… or just hang up. I’ve had a couple where they have asked me to stop shouting at them… and my answer has been to tell them to hang up the phone… and don’t call me back… but it appears many of them are on one script that doesn’t allow them to hang up…?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Unsolicited phone calls’ is closed to new replies.