Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Unruly Kids
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Wow. Quite a debate here. Ok, the road WAS a cul de sac, however they opened up the end, added 40 odd more houses and created a through road. The new part has speed bumps, ours doesn’t, yet, which may be worth mentioning to the council. Traffic calming could be the option here.
    My issue is with the parents, not the kids. But there is a park literally 30 seconds walk away with all a kid needs or wants.
    I think the parents seem to think/treat the road as a cul de sac rather than what it is now, a BUSY through road. As well as cars we have other extra traffic such as delivery vehicles, taxis etc.
    I feel the parents should take responsibility for the kids, teach them road sense, not allow them to play in a busy road, but play on the park where it is safe. Shirley the kids would feel better riding on grass rather than road? I know I do. 😉

I am not a miserable sod, rather the opposite. My feelings are of concern for the kids safety and anger at idle/can’t be arsed parents.

aracer
    Free Member

Through road to where?

amedias
    Free Member

I refer you to my earlier question regarding this:

But there is a park literally 30 seconds walk away with all a kid needs or wants.

But if they are not playing there then it probably isn’t providing all their needs or wants! There is likely to be a reason, kids generally play where they like playing, not where they don’t. Have you tried asking them why they don’t play in the park?

chip
    Free Member

Ask the council to put up some slow down signage and maybe consider a 10mph limit if it is an access “through” road.
    The estate I grew up on all the service roads were 10mph. failing that is there such a thing as a children playing sign.
    But ……. are you sure you are not a grumpy git op.:D

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

If the kids are 4 – 6 I reckon outside the house, where the parents can keep a bit of an eye on them, is better than a park 30 seconds away.

Reading this thread brings back memories of our street when I was that age, it was more of a playground/skateboard run/football pitch than a road for cars.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cheers chip. Didn’t mean to be.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

OP, maybe you should build a bike jump for the middle of the road. You could join in and everyone would be happy.

crankboy
    Free Member

http://www.instantstreetview.com/2ptiwkz3dwc2kz3gqzofzy
    If this works it shows a home zone / play street on a through road close to me . In all honesty I have never seen a child playing on it but it does make for a more pleasant ride / walk to the shops as the traffic calming works well.

I have not posted my street as it is a cul de sac so not relevant to the ops position

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Unruly Kids’ is closed to new replies.