Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Unremovable rotors?????
  • stompy

Howdy

Got a wee problem with my buddies wheels. The story goes a little something like this…….

I have some old Hope M4’s that I have kindly donated to a good friend to fit to his hardtail. He has a Scott Reflex 45, not the greatest hardtail but light and solid. Now when i popped round to fit the brakes i found that the rotors, although still a 6 bolt, had been fixed permenantly to the hubs…….????

Is there any way to get them off and still be able to fit new rotors. Or do we have to stick to those rotors (sizes:160mm F & R) and get some adaptors??

Cheers 😀

nickc

fixed how?

jfeb
    Free Member

If the bolts are stuck try: penetrating oil, knocking them with a hammer, tightening them before losening, dremmelling a slot in them for a screwdriver or finally drilling them out.

stompy

Looks to me like where there should be rotor bolts there are just shiney flat…. well M6 size discs. It’s almost like some sort of polished rivot or a compression fit.

totally bizarre

Just wondered that if I ground them off I’d still be able to fit new rotors, ie: there’d be a thread there? spose i could tap it out…. just don’t wanna screw it up and leave him with no wheels….

JamieMc
    Free Member

might seem like a silly suggestion but might they be centre-lock rotors rather than standar 6 bolt?

JamieMc
    Free Member

yeah that does sound like centre-lock rotors…

stompy

jfeb…. there are no bolts…it’s like they are meant to be permenantly fixed, which seems fec*ing stupid

Speshpaul

“tightening them before losening,”
    that might not be such a great idea with steal bolts and alloy hubs. Could easily rip the threads out of the hubs.

Whta fixing is it. I’m guessing they are not allen bolts, are they Torque Drive wihich is uses a 5 point drive.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

The other thing you could do is to file straight sections on either side of the bolt and then use an adjustable spanner to get them off. Done a few that way my self, but needs caution to get a big enough surface for the spanner head to grip on whilst leaving enough material on the bolt for it to work.

beinbhan

Photo ?

jfeb
    Free Member

Center lock is a good point. Does it look like this…

stompy

Woah there guys…….is this a lesson in butchery?? 😀

If they were sheared or fouled bolt heads we’d be ok (got extractors)…..

Centre lock rotors, ha ha, didn’t think of that, haven’t seen those for ages….. cheers Jamie, genius 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

I saw something like this in my LBS a while ago, at first glance they looked like six bolt rotors that had been riveted on instead of bolted, but a closer inspection showed that the rotor used center lock type mounting.

JamieMc
    Free Member

well if they indeed are centre-lock (which it sounds like they are) i guess you will either need new hubs or a DT-swiss converter type thingy to fit the hope M4 rotors.

johnners
    Free Member

…and TORX bolts are 6 point.

stompy

I think they are centre-lock’s………sh*t!!!

Looks like it’s gonna cost money either way, there’s not really a cheap fix is there???

Cheers for your help chaps 😆

Dibbs
    Free Member

Drill out the rivets and use the center of the old rotor as a centerlock to six bolt adapter.

crazy-legs

How close in design are the Hope rotors you’ve got and the Shimano rotors that are already fitted to his wheels? You can sometimes get away with mixing and matching rotors between brands.
    Otherwise you can buy adaptors that allow 6 bolt rotors to be fitted to a centre lock hub.

Centre lock is way better than 6-bolt anyway, much easier to fit and remove rotors.

stompy

Hey up crazy-legs….. Not sure how similar they are, am home now. The front hope is a 180mm rotor though so dunno in you can get the right caliper mount adaptors for the sizing.

Had a look at the adaptors, about 15 to 20 notes each…. not sure he’s gonna like that (He’s having his own personnal credit crunch!!)……. Might just see if i can get some wheels for him cheap…

Cheers

igm

Speaking as someone running a pair of Juicy 7s with a Code 180 (or 183 or 185 or whatever) on the front and a Hope 180 on the back you can mix and match but do beware. There was enough difference between the Code adaptor and an aftermarket Juicy one that I needed to use the Code one.

At the rear surely you can just take the 160 to 180 mount adaptor off the M4 and use the existing disc – you shouldn’t need more than 160 at the back of a hardtail. I think at the front you are stuffed IIRC, unless you can get a bigger rotor on. I might check for a secondhand centrelock 180 though rather than a centrelock adaptor.

james
    Free Member

“You can sometimes get away with mixing and matching rotors between brands.”
    what?
    Its a piece of flat metal with holes in? So long as its the right radius, or the brake doesn’t use oversize pads (though will still work) any rotor/capiler combination should work.
    The rotor size doesn’t neccessirly have to be exact. I’ve got a 164mm rotor running in a 160mm hope caliper at the moment to save buying a 160mm.

“Drill out the rivets and use the center of the old rotor as a centerlock to six bolt adapter”
    Aren’t they on completely different radii?

wwaswas

all I can say is.

good job the OP asked before getting the angle grinder out. How many don’t, I wonder?

stompy

Haha, angle grinder??? was gonna use my teeth 😆

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Unremovable rotors?????’ is closed to new replies.