Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Unrealistic bike build expectations?
  • granny_ring

Anyone else had preconceived ideas on how a custom bike build might turn out and then had that bubble burst?
    Well it’s not totally burst yet but wanted build up a lightish weight fs 29er for sometime and been looking out for frames for quite a while and in the end bought a carbon scalpel frame and lefty off here which arrived today.
    You know the feeling of excitement waiting for things to arrive….
    weighed them both and they came to 10lbs, that is with the OPI stem and front mech fitted. But I was absolutely gutted, I was expecting them to weigh around 8.5lbs.
    Back in the real world, the potential rider is carrying 21 lbs excess weight so does it really matter…..shattered dreams that’s all 😀

I’m going to start another specific thread on the bike to help get some more info to decide whether to keep it or not…..but not the best of starts. 🙁

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

weight is just a number 😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

The mistake was weighing it.

It would have been a light bike if you’d just not checked.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Don’t worry putting on some foam grips and making it tubeless will save 2 pounds….according to most on here!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I thought age was just a number?

Yak

Seems reasonable. Don’t forget there’s a headset, shock and probably axles there too. Definitely keep it. You’ll struggle to go much lighter.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Mister P – Member
    I thought age was just a number?

Age is the woman you feel.

granny_ring

It felt ‘heavy’ taking it out of the box!
    Trying to remember how much my flux and sids weigh, sure it’s quite a bit less than that, admittedly yes a 26er but thought this would be around the same or less tbh.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

But I was absolutely gutted, I was expecting them to weigh around 8.5lbs.

Why ?

Did you actually obtain, and add up the claimed weight of each part before you made the purchase, or were you just being hopeful ?

mb51
    Free Member

Worry about how it rides not if it’s a bit heavier than you thought. Don’t forget the rider makes the bike, not the bike makes the rider

granny_ring

Pretty sure I read a review saying the frame was 4.5-5lbs and thought that the lefty would be around 3.5lbs…..

jonnyboi

Scalpel frame 2118g (2016 model)
    XLR fork (carbon) 1402 g
    Opi stem 280g including steerer etc

Thats up to 8.3lbs already, if it’s a carbon fork.

you’ve got a headset in there, a front mech.. anything else maybe BB or seat clamp… not long until your at 10lbs. Which is still damn light

I think your expectations are unrealistic

br
    Free Member

Pretty sure I read a review saying the frame was 4.5-5lbs and thought that the lefty would be around 3.5lbs…..

Most advertise the weight of a small, and did you buy a large? 😉

wiggles
    Free Member

easy way to save weight…

granny_ring

It’s a small frame btw.
    Maybe I’ve been carried away with the hype then and assumed that things would get lighter with new ‘tech’ and carbonfibre ……a 2014 frame against a 2004 one 🙂

Even if I factor the weights of headset, stem & f mech to go on top
    of the medium Flux frame and 120mm Sids, I’m convinced that it’ll be lighter than 10lb. We’ll see!

But as others have said it’s maybe not the be all and end all, just a surprised observation.

jonnyboi

you could google all the weights yourself in about 10 minutes and actually have a factual comparison

soobalias
    Free Member

just plan an increased pre ride poo size of 1.5lbs

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Unrealistic bike build expectations?’ is closed to new replies.