Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Unplumbing a washing machine
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

Giving the keys back to our rental today. We’ve moved our washing machine out but the drain goes into the U bend under the sink. Need to get some sort of cap/plug/stopper to avoid contents of the kitchen sink emptying into cupboard below.

Any idea of the name of the bit I need to look for? There are threads on the end but originally it was a u bend where you have to cut the end first, so no plug supplied originally.

takisawa2

Take a pic & a measurement. Plumbing centre chaps can usually sort you out. Failing that a cork. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

plastic bag and a rubber band over the spigot.

andyl
    Free Member

^^ what stoner said.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don’t bother*, previous tennants in my house didn’t, I didn’t find out untill the previous contents of the sink started to rot in the cupboard!

*tongue in cheek

Taff
    Free Member

An effErvescent bottle with some tape fits a treat! Otherwise go to B&Q and get a stop. Just ask someone in te plumbing dept and they will show you

druidh
    Free Member

A cork?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Taff – experience with B&Q/Wickes plumbing department tells me you need to know exactly what to ask for otherwise they’re useless hence the thread.

thisisnotaspoon – the previous tenants had done that, first time I pulled the plug I emptied the contents into the cupboard below

druidh – unfortunately the bottles of wine I buy don’t possess corks big enough to plug the hole (well in fact most don’t possess corks at all)

Anyway, thanks all, found local plumbing merchant who opens at 7.30 am who found me the right bit

project
    Free Member

Dont forget the washing machine is still holding water, so when its outside, let the hosed drain onto the floor, or plug into the mains and let it spin , dont connect to the water supply though.

Makes it lighter to carry as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Unplumbing a washing machine’ is closed to new replies.