Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Unpleasant man (warning: lycra content)
  • limburger
    Free Member

Bimbling along in Dalby today. Behind me, lycra-clad semi-serious guy came up – deep tan, Spanish labels on his spandex… you know the type. I looked over my shoulder, said hi, and pulled over as soon as I could (within 5 seconds or so). As he passed, I said hello, and he just ignored me completely – nothing at all, no acknowledgment, nothing. I felt really subhuman. Ten minutes later he was on the side of the trail, fixing his cleat with his fingers (no room for tools in his tights, obviously). I slowed down, ask if he needed anything, and he just stared back from behind his Oakleys – nothing. I just rode off, of course. Another ten minutes and he was on my back wheel again. This time, I decided to ignore him. After about a minute, his front wheel actually buzzed my rear wheel, that’s how close he was. I decided it wasn’t worth it and just pulled over. He passed me and stared blankly ahead – no human contact was made. I then wanted to shout “asshole” but I actually shouted “Thank you” (my upbringing, I know) as he just rode off into the distance. No acknowledgment, nothing. I know I should just ignore it and get on with it, but the **** ruined my day. Rant over. I am going deep into the Moors tomorrow where I won’t see a living soul, only friendly sheep.

tjagain

I would have brake tested him if he got that close – after a warning. I will not let anyone I don’t know slipstream me. wouldn’t spoli my day tho

Rubber_Buccaneer

friendly sheep

How friendly exactly?

matt_outandabout

Splash-man
    Free Member

I get embarrassed if I buzz the rear wheel of a mate let alone a stranger !
    I think I would just just slowed down on purpose to piss him off.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Foreign maybe? Cannock?

limburger
    Free Member

friendly sheep
    How friendly exactly?

I’ll find out tomorrow. Wet lube packed, as always.

ads678

Ruined your day? Really?

devash
    Free Member

It might have been some sort of mtb terminator, back from the future to neutralise the trails of yesterday.

tdog
    Free Member

Sure he was n’t actually Spanish heehee!

tpbiker
    Free Member

I would have given him the benefit of the doubt that he was foreign and could not understand you..

Until the tyre buzz..

Burn him..

mikey74
    Free Member

I felt really subhuman

Seriously? You need to grow a pair.

tdog
    Free Member

Please no! Sheep, friendly and arseholes.

Your future looks bright op, your future looks brown

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sounds like your typical Ebiker.

Chances are he was a fat sack of shite a couple of years ago, but he got an Ebike and that enabled him to get out on the trails and gain some fitness.

Fast forward two years and he’s lost the weight, lost the Ebike, but kept the attitude. Some things you can’t change unfortunately.

Poopscoop

May well have been a non English speaker from the sounds of it.
    That said, still a total **** as a friendly smile or gesture is universal.

I think the ex e-biker thing is a bit of a stretch to be honest though.

On the road sections I ride to my local natural trails I no longer say hi to the serious looking types unless they do first as I virtually never get a response. Most mtb riders, lycra or otherwise, do tend to say hi back though. Make of that what you will.

I’m sue there are plenty of civil road riders out there, just I don’t bump into them here in the South East. 😀

Inbred456
    Free Member

I’m a bimbler, I only have one speed. The amount of Lycra clad warriors who think the trail is there own personal race track and wip past me on the flat and downhill “passing on the right” they shout, only to be passed back on the long climbs. ****ts all of them!
    Hahahaha.
    It would never spoil my day though!

martinhutch

Sorry. Probably me. Never remember anything after about mile 10 at Dalby, just pedal on in a dreamlike state. 🙂

limburger
    Free Member

Sorry. Probably me. Never remember anything after about mile 10 at Dalby, just pedal on in a dreamlike state.

It wasn’t you – I recognize a Dalby Zombie right away – they’re harmless, in their own space, celebrating the drudgery in trail and mind – indeed, I am often with them. This, however, was a positively, actively, affirmatively, nasty man.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Bimbling along in Dalby today. Behind me, lycra-clad semi-serious guy came up – deep tan, Spanish labels on his spandex… you know the type.

Spanish Fly?

limburger
    Free Member

Bimbling along in Dalby today. Behind me, lycra-clad semi-serious guy came up – deep tan, Spanish labels on his spandex… you know the type.
    Spanish Fly?

I will ask the sheeps’ opinion tomorrow. They won’t remain silent, I hope.

martinhutch

This, however, was a positively, actively, affirmatively, nasty man.

Probably still smarting at the price to drive up to the visitor centre.

wilburt
    Free Member

I dont get this need to give a cheery wave to all and sundry and the last I want to do when out on the bike is get into small talk with strangers.

I wouldnt let it bother you, go to the pub for chat if youre lonely.

anagallis_arvensis

Was out on a shop ride yesterday about 20 of us were stopped watching someone fix a puncture 🙂 when a rider came past. Morning loads if us said…he didnt even acknowledge our existence. Not to worry didnt spoil our day..

Maybe this bloke didnt speak english?

crazy-legs

I dont get this need to give a cheery wave to all and sundry and the last I want to do when out on the bike is get into small talk with strangers.

You should write a letter to that effect to Cycling Weekly. Their letters page has at least one missive in it every single time from some moany **** about how they waved and no-one waved back.

I’m with you on that, I might wave if I’ve got nothing better to do but otherwise I couldn’t care less!

roger_mellie

I’m sue there are plenty of civil road riders out there,

<waves at Poopscoop, but is equally not fussed if no-one waves back> 🙂

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

You might not want to say hello to everyone. In the sales today that Wouk become like greeting Tourette’s. But your not going to become less pro by lifting a hand. I dispair of twits with such a high opinion of them selves.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Quite cockish behaviour at Cannock Chase yesterday (punting nippers off bikes). The perps seem to be about my age (late 40’s > 50’s).

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

Dealing with **** is very much a normal part of life (unfortunately). Don’t take it to heart.

I definitely would not be asking if he needed a hand with his cleat after the first snub.

singletrackmind

ok , so is he still a twunt if he is deaf , or deaf and dumb?
    Maybe throat cancer has effected his voice box..maybe

Drac

Maybe he was deaf?

zanelad
    Free Member

Perhaps the OP should tell his mummy about the nasty man.

For **** sake, grow up.

markrh
    Free Member

Years ago me and my friend came across a rider who i thought was just being ignorant when he didn’t respond when we said hello but when we saw him at the carpark later without his helmet on we could see his cochlear implant. Felt very guilty about remarks we had made about him.
    Now I’m partially deaf myself and wonder how many people i’ve blanked while out riding. Don’t tend to ride with the hearing aid as it tends to **** it up.

philxx1975
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKMR39pbCfE[/video]

701arvn
    Free Member

Quite cockish behaviour at Cannock Chase yesterday (punting nippers off bikes). The perps seem to be about my age (late 40’s > 50’s).

Do Tell. This sounds more like it, something we could get genuinely outraged about.

Sorry OP, the non speaking Spaniard is just not doing it for me.

wilburt
    Free Member

As he passed, I said hello, and he just ignored me completely – nothing at all, no acknowledgment, nothing. I felt really subhuman

This is either a troll or the OP is going to struggle with life.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Unpleasant man (warning: lycra content)’ is closed to new replies.