Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Unlocking Mobile Phones
  • wombat

Has anyone used one of the online mobile phone unlocking sites that sends you a code to put into your handset?

There are a few out there that appear to charge between £2 and £5 and the chap on my local market charges £15 to £20 depending on the handset.

Looks like a good deal but only if it works as it should.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that a lot of phones can be unlocked by the phone company for a similar amount and more reliably.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I used an online unlocker a few years ago and it was fine.

Personally I would use a local shop -ring around?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I used one for my Blackberry a while ago – was a bit worried when I got a whole list of codes, but tried the first one and it worked.
    Sorry, can’t remember what website though.

Cougar

Ring the provider.

Honestly, speaking as someone who’s unlocked a -lot- of phones, why bother to hack something that you can get sorted legitimately for buttons?

wombat

Thanks for the replies.

I found a free site that gives you a code when you enter your IMEI number.

It was free and it worked.

Bargain 8)

Cougar

Well done. I’m fairly sure it won’t get cloned now or anything.

wombat

Cheers Cougar, that’s my conflagration well and truly urinated upon 😕

CountZero

It depends on the network. O2 only have the iPhone locked, all other phones are unlocked, but O2 don’t make it obvious. I was told this by a sales person some years ago, and I’ve put Orange SIM’s into old O2 phones and passed them onto a mate and they’ve worked fine. He’s still using my old K750i from about five or six years ago.

Cougar

Point is,

The original operator will unlock the handsets for you once they’re more than a few months old. Other methods carry risks. Entering the wrong code can lock about the ability to use further codes; cable hacks can brick the phone; giving your IMEI to complete strangers on the Internet, who knows what they can do with that information.

TBH it’s probably fine, and those risks are probably minimal for all practical purposes. But I’d rather not chance it, personally.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Unlocking Mobile Phones’ is closed to new replies.