Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Unlock vehicle in motion on VW
  • j5kol
    Free Member

Has anyone unlocked the vehicle in motion on a VW so that you can play DVDs through the RNS850 head unit whilst the vehicle is moving ?
    Apparently it is possible if you have a VAGCOM and is just a case of altering a parameter.
    Don’t want to attempt it and end up with a knackered head unit, but if its simply changing a parameter then surely it won’t cause any harm ?

scc999

If you can see the screen from the drivers seat then the harm is that it would be against the law so assume there would be some form of penalty if caught.

Si

sbob
    Free Member

What law?
    Not saying it’s a good idea but I’m not aware of any specific law and everything is legal by default.

poly
    Free Member

sbob – off the top of my head there is construction and use regulations about TV screens whilst driving… I generally subscribe to your theory that too many people claim lots of things are “illegal” which are actually not – but on this occasion I believe it is correct. If nobody has posted a better answer I will look it up later.

grantyboy
    Free Member

it’s illegal for a driver to see a TV while a vehicle is in transit, hence the VW feature. Other brands link it to the handbrake being on, Range Rover have a clever screen depending on the viewing angle.

I wouldn’t risk it as you’ll be charged with careless/dangerous driving if caught

scc999

This one?

Under Regulation 109 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, it is an offence to drive a motor vehicle on a road if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television screen showing anything other than information:

(a) about the state of the vehicle or equipment;
    (b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;
    (c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle;
    (d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

sbob
    Free Member

Nice one. 🙂
    I likes to knows me laws.

j5kol
    Free Member

Thanks for pointing out the legalities, not sure how many cops will be able to see it operating though as you drive past and then being able to prove it ?

molgrips
    Free Member

It really is incredibly distracting btw.

j5kol
    Free Member

Have you done it molgrips ?

nickdavies

but if its simply changing a parameter then surely it won’t cause any harm ?

Depends on who you’re harming when you’re watching TV not the road while driving… 😉

meehaja
    Free Member

SCC999, gutted by the specifics of that, a little glimmer of hope that the data screens in ambulances might be illegal (they are dangerous and distracting) and I could have some weekend fun with management! Oh well, back to moaning about broken seat bases!

molgrips
    Free Member

Not on a VW headunit but someone once watched a film on a laptop whilst I was driving. Despite my best efforts to not watch, I couldn’t. I had to ask her to stop. Frightening really.

I did play movies on a different head unit once in extreme circumstances (18 hour road trip with 2yo kid) and the only reason I agreed was because we watched films I’d seen a million times so didn’t need to look at.

Re the law, it’d be pretty obvious to spot a film being played in a car, so any plod (undercover or not) would be likely to pull you over I reckon. Risky.

Keva
    Free Member

I wouldn’t risk it as you’ll be charged with careless/dangerous driving if caught

I wouldn’t risk it as it’s likely to cause an accident.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Are you really that stupid to be wanting to have a DVD playing that is visible to the driver whilst driving?
    Can I have you’re bike when you kill yourself (hopefully only you) driving off the road into a wall?

WORDS. FAIL. ME.

sbob
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member

Are you really that stupid to be wanting to have a DVD playing that is visible to the driver whilst driving?

Some people are more distracted than others by different things. I’ve forgotten that I’ve had my satnav on before yet can’t even hold a conversation when I’m concentrating.

brakes
    Free Member

j5kol, you might be better off asking on pistonheads or somewhere rather than righteoustrackworld

andybanks
    Free Member

Yes you can do it. I’ve not personally, but it all Touareg’s come with RNS850 and it’s commonly done by guys on the Touareg forums.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f45/watching-videos-in-2013-r-line-124290.html

There’s a lot of other things that can often be enabled depending on your car. Some Touareg’s come without Bluetooth for the phone kit. The hardware is actually installed by default and just needs enabling in VAGCOM. Same with some models and the parking heater and offroad sat nav.

bencooper
    Free Member

VAGCOM

Snigger.

Carry on.

andybanks
    Free Member

Lots of other common VAGCOM mods here

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36478

globalti
    Free Member

I once had the pleasure of being driven through the Pakistani city of Lahore by a guy who was watching the BBC news on a small TV balanced on his dashboard. It was the day Mrs Thatcher reigned; I will never forget the terror of that drive.

bigyinn
    Free Member

To be fair, that was probably more due to the place you were in, rather than the presence of a TV in the car!

j5kol
    Free Member

Thanks for the info andybanks

deadslow

So much energy is devoted on this forum to outrage when cyclists are hurt/killed by motorist, especially when distracted i.e. on the phone. I cant believe that some members are prepared to help j5kol become more distracted at the wheel. God forbid he should be in an accident and this be a contributory factor.
    j5kol, please do not do it!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bought an M3 Convertable back in 09 and it had the TV screen in the dashboard, the TV bit would not work if the handbrake wasn’t on which I thought was a GOOD idea.
    I got told off by the Cops though whilst sat in a traffic jam on the M27 sitting with the handbrake on and watching the Simpsons. I told him it only came on if the handbrake was on, he told me to turn it off..
    So I did.
    Best option, I learned my lesson.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Unlock vehicle in motion on VW’ is closed to new replies.