Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • University Students, finance, parents contribution – experiences please !
  • project
    Free Member

Its all very good topping up your kids finances when they go to uni ,but what happens if you loose your job and income, or they decide uni is not for them, let them make their own wage, or dont go.

sadmadalan

I’m a dad with a son at Bath Uni. We pay his accommodation costs and he has to live off his loan, plus anything else he saves from working etc. We do help out every so often, if we are visiting we take him to the supermarket and pay for a load of shopping and I’ll give him some beer money every so often.

If it all goes to plan, I’ll have a second son at Uni next year and we aim to do the same.

peterfile
    Free Member

I was at law school for 6 years (LLB in Scotland for 4, then 1 year GDL and 1 year LPC in England).

My mum was not in a position to help me financially. I worked pretty much full time hours for all 6 years (although I did reduce the hours for the LPC because it had a minimum attendance requirement).

If you are in a position to help, I would say that (for an LLB at least) she should try to limit her working hours to around 10-15 per week (e.g. 8 hours on a saturday and perhaps one or two shifts through the week).

I had to work my backside off to keep up at times. Fortunately, an LLB is pretty easy as far as required actual intellectual ability goes, however it can be quite time demanding due to the sheer volume of reading and essay writing required.

I enjoyed working the hours that I did (I can’t sit still for more than 10 mins and enjoyed being around normal people rather than twatfaced law students talking incessantly about training contacts all day), and in some respects it has helped me be the person/lawyer I am today. That said, I would probably have achieved better grades if I had more time to devote to the course (or maybe I would have just wasted it anyway 🙂 ). I walked away with a 2:1, but a 1st should have been within my grasp. Those undergrad grades are one of th key things that sets you apart when applying for vac scheme and training contracts – best to get the highest marks you can!

If you (or your daughter) would like any advice re studying law or getting a TC etc, please feel free to email me (address in profile). I practise in both Scotland and England (currently based in Scotland) and I’m trainee supervisor for the Scottish offices of my firm (a global commerical entity), so happy answer any queries 🙂

skirrto
    Free Member

Daughter 1 started at Sheffield Hallam last September, so we’re still getting used to things. AS said above, the maintenance portion of the loan just covers her accomodation (halls this year) fees. We give her £200 a month for everything else (+ £20 phone contract) and she seems to be managing fine. She has quickly learned to shop late at night for the out of date bargins (smoked salmon and scrambled eggs is regularly on the menu)

Things may be different next year when she moves out of halls into a house. £260 deposit (which she covered) already paid and they don’t get the keys until July!!

All in all, very proud (skint) Dad.

iainc

peterfile – many thanks for that – she is reading this post too, so I’ll suggest she drops you a mail, much appreciated

peterfile
    Free Member

peterfile – many thanks for that – she is reading this post too, so I’ll suggest she drops you a mail, much appreciated

No worries, happy to help. I also mentor a few students each year from local universities and LPC/Diploma providers, so I know (from personal experience and through the people I mentor) most of the thoughts/queries that will probably be running around in her mind right now! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘University Students, finance, parents contribution – experiences please !’ is closed to new replies.