Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Uninvited rider on your wheel
  • IanMunro
    Free Member

If your riding your bike on a conveyor belt. Should the rider behind leave a bigger gap if they're not on the belt?

vinnyeh

well put 2 tyred.

Anybody of the objectors practice brake testing of cars that are following you too closely, or would you only do it when it's somebody else likely to get hurt? Or how would you feel if the car just in front of you on the commute took objection to your presence and braked suddenly but needlessly?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

2tyred, I'd say that was a good assumption!

AndyP, I'm more of a bunch sprinter (probably why I like sitting on any wheel I can find!), what are your lead-outs like?

crazy-legs

Depends on the circumstances. In busy traffic it's bloody dangerous – I wouldn't do it to others and I don't expect them to do it to me. A quiet word is usually all it takes. I'd never deliberately bring anyone down, that's the absolute height of stupidity and I hope the people on here saying "hit the brakes" are only joking.

Out on a normal road ride on quiet roads then yes, I've got no problem with slipstreaming – it helps out both parties and it can be quite social too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow. I was semi-trolling, noce to see the common view isn't so anti-cynic as perviously.

I suspect all those saying "chill out man" etc haven't seen a bunch get taken down by one careless rider…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

vinnyeh – Member

well put 2 tyred.

Anybody of the objectors practice brake testing of cars that are following you too closely, or would you only do it when it's somebody else likely to get hurt? Or how would you feel if the car just in front of you on the commute took objection to your presence and braked suddenly but needlessly?

I would never be in a position where I would hit the vehicle in front if it braked suddenly – either far enough behind it or to the side so you can miss it.

A basic part of defensive riding. I will not tolerate anyone I do not know and trust slipstreaming – its me they are putting at risk

BigDummy
    Free Member

A chap ran into the back of me the other week when I was stopped at some lights. He hadn't even been drafting me, he was just an inattentive pillock. No harm done, and he had the decency to be quite sheepish. 🙂

nickc

Guy jumped on my rear wheel at the weekend, noticed him, and after about 10 minutes flicked an elbow at him, he wouldn't come to the front…That's annoying, so just upped the pace a bit. No great loss.

ransos
    Free Member

I've no problem with people slip-streaming on club rides, because they're alert, competent, and will take their turn at the front. But doing it in busy traffic on a commute is pretty stupid IMO.

oldgit
    Free Member

Unbelievable.

Speed up or slow down if it's an issue simple as that, were not 5 year olds, but to make an effort to CATCH someone without going fast enough to pass them cleanly then BRAKE knowing they'll hit you, well! Sounds like the numpties that target me when I'm out training, because I might look like a proper roadie. I can tell they love to pass me and that's fine,but I ain't slowing down or speeding up for limp dicks like that, save it for race day.

vinnyeh

TJ, wasn''t referring to you, I certainly wouldn't expect you to brake test anybody- it's those who think that's an acceptable method of warning off fellow riders that I was questioning.

firestarter
    Free Member

i dont mind it as it makes a bigger image for the car drivers to see at least i might get noticed then 🙂

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Tap the brakes lightly so he/she will have to respond. They should get the idea soon enough, This works in the car as well, a small tap to bring the brake lights on and people soon drop back..

I can't believe this kind of attitude. How stupid to risk your own safety by trying to show up the idiot behind who's riding or driving too close. You're the bigger idiot.

And the moron (or troll?) who deliberately got rear ended and ended up hurt as a result! Doh, how clever are you?

Do it in a car especially and you are very likely to end up with no compo and facing 'without due care' charges. Contrary to popular belief you are at fault if hit from behind if you've caused it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I could understand if you were 5 years old or retarded that it might be an issue having someone cycle close behind you, otherwise get over yourselves you whining muppets…

Or how about in busy traffic with cars pulling out at all angles and having to think 'oh hold on I can't slam on my brakes as there is some clown on my back wheel'?

And I certainly wouldn't be touching the brakes to let them know my displeasure.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Encore………..

Jesus!!! Someone is on your wheel, it's not a race, and you wish them harm????!!!!???

SB

cynic-al
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    Unbelievable.

Speed up or slow down

Dream on grandad, as if it were that simple, I've had to stop in the past with some of the idiots that have followed me – including a group of club riders.

trail_rat
    Free Member

id just ride off , dont trust anyone i dont know on my wheel – ive seen the efforts of some of the folk in races who are supposed to be able to do these things.

Some guys in aberdeen ended up seriously injured after a wheel tap. Id rather not – or at least have it done by someone i know !

Gary_M
    Free Member

It's not that easy to ride off where there are a lot of traffic lights though, I did that the other night then the guy caught up at the lights.

If it's on the open road then I don't mind as I can usually pull away from them or just let them sit there.

oldgit
    Free Member

Dream on grandad 😛

Look I hate to go on about, but I've never ever had a problem with it. Not that I commute anymore that much, apart from a commute to Leicester Square for years in the past.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A guy now in a wheelchair as a result of falling off in a bunch (not from being rear ended IIRC) sued his riding partners unsuccessfully.

rOcKeTdOg

suspect all those saying "chill out man" etc haven't seen a bunch get taken down by one careless rider…

so one arogant, miserable git followed by a guy trying to have a bit of fun on his commute is now a 'bunch'?

excellent troll though Al, i bet you are really proud 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

I will not tolerate anyone I do not know and trust slipstreaming – its me they are putting at risk

So what do you do, pull in and let them pass or kick on and drop them ? – I think they're the only safe choices……

mildred

Personally, I couldn't give a toss if someone wants to follow closely behind – if I'm not aware that they're there or they haven't made themselves known, they'd better expect a face full of snot and flem; as an asthmatic I expel a fair old load of crap.

However, if someone pulls up behind to get a drag, and they make themselves known – so what? I have been hit from behind by other bikers on a great many occasions (sometimes mates twatting around, sometimes in xc races of yore when hundreds joined in, sometimes on my commute), and I've got to say that each and everytime they have come off a lot worse than me. I'm a big old unit in my full clobber, so most other bikers bounce off me.

jimmers
    Free Member

Merlin: What are you doin? You're slowin down, you're slowin down!
    Maverick: I'm bringing him in closer Merlin.
    Merlin: You're gonna do what? This is it Maverick!
    Merlin: I'm gonna hit the brakes, he'll fly right by.

Keva
    Free Member

pull up and stop, wait for uninvited strange weirdo to disappear into the distance, continue.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i just start to slow down gradually or sit up so they get the message i'm not going to give them a free tow, because they never ever do a turn on the front. i ride really close to potholes too so they usually end up hitting them.
    busy streets are not the place to pretend you are in the TDF or to have 'fun'

leggyblonde
    Free Member

MrSmith, you say you don't want to give them a free tow because they never do a turn on the front, then say that the streets aren't a place to pretend to be in the TDF! Confused?

Take your fixed off the mean streets of London perhaps and get down to Herne Hill!

higgo
    Free Member

There is some utter precious nonsense on this thread. I slipstream uninvited and I have no issues with someone doing the same to me.

What I would have a very big issue with would be someone braketesting me. That's a slapping offence.

yossarian
    Free Member

i have a simple rule that i operate when commuting; if i don't think I can properly overtake another rider up ahead without sitting on their wheel for a while, I hang back and give him/her some room. Its only commuting for god's sake.

himupstairs

i've got no problem with hangers-on.
    you get a much better slipstream from buses and coaches anyway…

Gary_M
    Free Member

So The Mighty Higs its fine for you to have issues with people doing things you don't agree with but it's nonsense if it's the other way round.

willsimmons
    Free Member

I find it annoying on a commute. I tend to be one of the faster commuters and as such often pass quite a few people on my way home. Getting overtaken by a man on a 29er with MTB tyres and a geared hub is taken as a slight on your manhood it seems as I often find people gunning it to get on my wheel. I just want to ride home at the same pace as I do everyday without some uninvited idiot buzzing my back tyre in an effort to restore his perceived manhood. A lot of traffic on my route home as well as a few downhills among queing traffic. I don't want some puffing and panting idiot running into the back of me if I have to brake sharply for an interesting driving manouvre, which is not unusual.

The result is that if I pass someone I tend to drop the hammer in an effort to ensure noone tries to get on.

Don't have a problem with bunch riding/slipstreaming in the right environment. I have done plenty of road riding but I don't think it is all that appropriate for the commute.

cynic-al
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    suspect all those saying "chill out man" etc haven't seen a bunch get taken down by one careless rider…

so one arogant, miserable git followed by a guy trying to have a bit of fun on his commute is now a 'bunch'?

excellent troll though Al, i bet you are really proud

I'm the arrogant miserable git am I? As well as a troll? Funny how you used to like me so much you wanted me to date your friend…

In any case, I was referring to various bunches I have been in getting mostly taken out by careless riding.

higgo
    Free Member

So The Mighty Higs its fine for you to have issues with people doing things you don't agree with but it's nonsense if it's the other way round.

Yes.
    It's to do with intent.

MrSmith
    Free Member

MrSmith, you say you don't want to give them a free tow because they never do a turn on the front, then say that the streets aren't a place to pretend to be in the TDF! Confused?

Take your fixed off the mean streets of London perhaps and get down to Herne Hill!

herne hill is closed for the winter.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

herne hill is closed for the winter.

I know that. It was open quite often in the summer though!

alpin
    Free Member

what you all need is some nice proper bike paths like those here in germany.

went for a ride last weekend to pick up some green in another town 60km away. of that 60km about 2km was on a road shared with cars. the rest was a paved path about one lane wide.

i'll often sit on someone's wheel but let them know i'm there by riding paralell with them first and say to them "bitte, kein scharfes bremsen", or "no hard braking" as i ride a fixie. neither am i averse to having someone sit on my wheel.

ahhh. bike paths.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The Mighty Higs brake checking someone behind you and riding on someone's wheel in traffic are both dangerous for exactly the same reason. Intent or not I fail to see how you can find one acceptable behaviour and one not.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Thread like this remind me that just because someone is riding a bike, they're not necessarily not an arse 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

they're not necessarily not an arse

Does that mean they are an arse or not? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Uninvited rider on your wheel’ is closed to new replies.