Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Uninvited rider on your wheel
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Happened again this morning, just pedalling into the Queen's Park, pass some duffer on a singlespeed/fixie, chain and yellow waterproof flapping in the wind, I'm going 4mph faster so just pedal past, look round a few 100m on and he's 6" from my wheel 🙄

I pressed hard on the pedals and whaddya know he couldn't respond. Are these the same guys that do 45mph on single carriageweays then 80 on dual?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I had a guy do this the other night, passed him then he caught up as I slowed for the next set of lights then sat on my wheel. I pulled away from him for a bit but even when I slowed right down waiting for the lights to change he still sat there – he pulled alongside me as he was doing a left turn and said, 'Sorry but I'm a slipstream junkie'. No you're not, you're a fanny.

vinnyeh

why do people get so het up about this on the commute? Is it perceived danger, or is it somebody getting a free ride?

xcgb
    Free Member

Helps if you can fart like a docker!

2hottie
    Free Member

Tap the brakes lightly so he/she will have to respond. They should get the idea soon enough, This works in the car as well, a small tap to bring the brake lights on and people soon drop back..

trout
    Free Member

Happened to me a few years ago and I am slow .
    but into a huge head wind I did not know he was there untill about 5 seconds after I had gobbed a green lung slug over my shoulder 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

vinneyh – it's a safety and etiquette issue for me, I've been rear ended before.

crispybacon
    Free Member

I've been rear ended before.

😥 😕

Mistere
    Free Member

get over yourselves!

'etiquette issue'
    so tapping the brakes and changing speed isn't? They really aren't doing any harm. In fact they're helping you out aerodynamically.

Grumpy bloody commuters, cheer the hell up!

AndyP
    Free Member

They really aren't doing any harm
    until they ride into the back of you, of course.
    slow down a bit till they end up half-wheeling you, then put a pump through their front wheel. Either that, or snot rockets.

vinnyeh

I don't normally mind if somebody wants a tow but had a nasty experience on a commute a couple of years back on a wet potholed road- I swerved to avoid a water filled hole- the guy behind me didn't know the road, must have put his front wheel in it- I heard a yelp, looked around and he was down. 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I have no problem with it at all, probably because I'm inclined to do it so it's give and take.
    I have never been rear-ended before, but if someone tapped their brakes for no reason in front of me I'd be extremely tempted to pull my own unnecessary manoeuvres…

GEDA
    Free Member

You could do some wacky races type thing like a special box that is full of drawing pins or oil that you pull a string and kaaboom they get it full on slipping on your dastardly oil slick or pop pop pop as their tyres deflate at an alarming rate as you cycle off triumphantly into the distance.

Otherwise you could just rant on a forum and get over it /treat it like a race.

finbar
    Free Member

Why not give them a tow and then slow down and make them do a turn? Everyone's a winner.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Why not give them a tow and then slow down and make them do a turn? Everyone's a winner.

I doubt the scaredy moaners on here have much experience of through and off, they'd prefer to take someone out "by accident" and brag on here like the real men they are.

snakebite
    Free Member

I caught a proper roadie a few weeks back, he was slipstreaming me on my roadrat-he was on a cervelo. I tapped my XT disc brakes and he hit me hard enough to brake my mech off and give me whiplash. The £13 k (estimated compo) should get me a Cervelo too….

kiwijohn

You never watched any team time trials? just pull out & drop in behind him. He should get the idea.

ourmaninthenorth

Why not give them a tow and then slow down and make them do a turn?

I wouldn't want to risk rear-ending them as they tap their brakes….

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Snakebite, did you have a reason to brake?

AndyP
    Free Member

does he/she need to have a reason to brake?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sitting on someone's wheel in busy traffic really isn't a sensible thing to do, I have far to many other concerns in traffic without thinking about someone 2mm from my arse. It's nothing to do with grumpiness.

just pull out & drop in behind him Not really an easy move in busy traffic.

vinnyeh

does he/she need to have a reason to brake?

It's a pretty malicious thing to do in my opinion if there's no reason to brake, and calculated to cause an accident. Wouldn't it have been more sensible to have a word with them, or to slow down for a moment and let them past.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If they are slipstreaming you they are riding far to close for safety – I'd just tell them where to go.

AndyP
    Free Member

It's a pretty malicious thing to do in my opinion if there's no reason to brake, and calculated to cause an accident.

Indeed. And yet the rider in front is perfectly within their rights to brake wherever and whenever they wish. If the rider behind isn't used to holding a wheel and watching for sudden braking, they shouldn't be that close.

finbar
    Free Member

Is this a roadie/mtber thing? Do any of the people who have strong objections do club rides on the road?

D0NK

Yeah I dunno why you get so wound up by it, if I pass someone and they tuck in behind I'll give them a tow and point out pot holes etc to them for a while then I'll make sure they take a turn up front. Same if someone passes me, I'll tuck in for a while then offer to go upfront. Obviously you don't do it through traffic but on normal roads getting rear ended is unlikely I'd have thought.

BigJohn

Of course snakey had a reason to brake – he needed a new mech.

Where there's blame there's a claim.

The other day, coming back from town with a pannier full of groceries, weighing me down I overtook a local keen roadie going up the railway bridge. (Because you can't ride up hills slowly on a fixie – it doesn't work).

Naturally, I had to maintain the pace all the way home, nearly killed me. As I turned off into my drive I allowed myself to look round – the bugger wasn't there! I was sure he'd been on my wheel but he must have stopped at the letter box or something.

FuzzyWuzzy

I could understand if you were 5 years old or retarded that it might be an issue having someone cycle close behind you, otherwise get over yourselves you whining muppets…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why should I accept someone riding too close to me and putting me at risk? I have no idea the level of their skills

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I'm sure that the rider in front is culpable (as well as a c**t) if it is proved they braked for no reason whatsoever. When I sit on a wheel, I don't focus on the rear tyre in front, but past the rider so I can know when to brake.
    I'd love to see the moaners in a road or track race, they'd absolutely crap themselves 😯

Sam

Agree with full stop and others, it's about safety both for you and them. Anything might cause a panic stop or sudden maneuver to avoid road debris etc. If someone is friendly and says something then I don't mind if they seem competent and you are riding at a similar speed – riding as a pair, or even more, is fun. However if someone just pulls up behind you and sits on your wheel it's not only rude, but dangerous. Besides, if you are going fast enough to catch someone you should be able to go past them and let them sit on your wheel. This also allows for an introduction and mutual consent -it's what makes for a good partnership…

AndyP
    Free Member

Do any of the people who have strong objections do club rides on the road?
    plenty thanks. Usually the people on club rides know they're each on a club ride, and know there may be someone on their wheel, who knows how to ride on a wheel, and who will do a turn if they are able.

AndyP
    Free Member

When I sit on a wheel, I don't focus on the rear tyre in front, but past the rider so I can know when to brake.
    I'd love to see the moaners in a road or track race, they'd absolutely crap themselves

so you know how to sit on a wheel – that's great. In which case, you'd be more than welcome to sit on my wheel whether on my commute or in a road or track race (if you can keep up 😉 ). Problem is that not many people DO know how to safely hold a wheel.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Just wind it up and drop their arse off the back. Braking is uber ghey.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Usually the people on club rides know they're each on a club ride, and know there may be someone on their wheel, who knows how to ride on a wheel, and who will do a turn if they are able.

I've seen and heard of plenty of crashes on club runs, doesn't mean the riders know how to ride a bike just beacuse they can meet at a crossroads at 9.30 on a saturday morning!

Thanks, I'm sure I'd keep up 😉

AndyP
    Free Member

I've seen and heard of plenty of crashes on club runs, doesn't mean the riders know how to ride a bike just beacuse they can meet at a crossroads at 9.30 on a saturday morning!
    indeed. But at least on a club run you're expecting to be riding in a pack.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

But at least on a club run you're expecting to be riding in a pack.

true enough. Could be argued that you'd expect the same in London now too!

rOcKeTdOg

If they are slipstreaming you they are riding far to close for safety – I'd just tell them where to go.

what if he wasn't wearing a helmet?, surely he'd be riding within himself and by not wearing the helmet he'd be avoiding an accident by not doing things that were out of his depth, your theory i gather

AndyP
    Free Member

Thanks, I'm sure I'd keep up
    fancy a 2-up some time? always on the lookout for a fast partner 😉

2tyred

I'm fast, so if I detect someone behind me like this I kick on a bit.

If they're still there after that, and not clinging on for grim death, I assume they're comfortable riding at that speed and figure its a fair assumption they know what they're doing enough not to needlessly endanger either of us. On the roads I try and ride as though there's a car sitting right behind me anyway and avoid sudden changes of speed or direction wherever possible.

No problem at all with the principle of someone getting a tow from me, which is what I suspect is behind more than a few objections to this practice. Same when I'm out on a proper road ride, really.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Uninvited rider on your wheel’ is closed to new replies.