Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • unicycling
  • yunki
    Free Member

After a layoff of more than 20 years, I got back on a unicycle today..

I thought I was a lost cause initially, but after a couple hours of very public humiliation I was up and away.. nailing about 50% of free starts, pretty much able to achieve whatever distance I fancied with passable steering and control 😀

I’ve got a bit of a problem with the seat in that it has a tendency to want to slip me off the front (raise the seatpost a bit perhaps?) and I’m really looking for tips on how to improve..

I’m aching all over in a very satisfactory way this evening 😀

user-removed
    Free Member

Sounds familiar! Swapped a BSA airgum for a singlespeed bike about 10 years ago. The guy threw in a uni to sweeten the deal. Hadn’t been on one since being a snotty brat learning circus skills.

Came back within about 20 minutes but I stuck it in the garage and didn’t look at it until a few days ago when I dug it out to impress my 17 month old. He wasn’t impressed.

Can’t really offer any tips other than look up, not down. And learn to juggle.

user-removed
    Free Member

Actually, I tell a lie – I did my paper round on my uni for a whole summer after wrecking my bike, age 12…

nickjb
    Free Member

To improve you just need to practice. Try and put as much weight on the saddle as you can, a higher saddle will help for this but it is tricky while you are learning. Having a reason to ride helps. Yoofs tend to be into trials and street riding. Hockey is great fun, it’s a team sport for people who don’t tend to like team sports, is there a club near you? And there is always MUni

antigee

to improve you need to identify a challenge and work on it –
    drinking beer whilst unicycling – nailed it

tonyg2003

Last year when we were at Les Gets. I was waiting for the family to come down and watched a guy ride the red route on the DH course on a unicycle. It was amazing to see.

yunki
    Free Member

I think I’ll probably be heading towards MUni as that was the sort of thing I was doing 20 years ago and I’ve not quite got the explosive power for tricks and trials..

I should have been on it today but no time.. not tooo much ache either 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘unicycling’ is closed to new replies.