Viewing 14 posts - 161 through 174 (of 174 total)
  • Unfriendly Roadies
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

I was out on my road bike last Sunday and while cycling down a narrow lane came across the rudest roadie i’ve ever met. The road was only wide enough for one car or two cyclists. Coming towards me were two roadies cycling two abreast. One cut in behind the other as they saw me, but then the other one moved across and forced me on to the verge as we passed. No acknowledgement, no sorry, just kept looking straight ahead like a massive dick.

crazy-legs

All I can say is, don’t go for a road ride in Belgium expecting greetings and waves. If you did that, you’d never have your hands on the bars! Riding time is for being serious and getting your training done. Cafe time is for being social.

racefaceec90

wow 5 pages about this 😉

can i also ask which is betterer 29″ or 650b 🙂

RustySpanner

Riding time is for being serious and getting your training done.

Yeah, plenty of time for enjoying yourself when you’re not cycling. 😐

Seriously, this comes up so often for a reason.
    That reason being that the OP is correct.
    And this thread just keeps providing more evidence.

njee20
    Free Member

but then the other one moved across and forced me on to the verge as we passed. No acknowledgement, no sorry, just kept looking straight ahead like a massive dick.

I think that’s a matter of perception. I don’t believe that he actually rode you off the road, was probably just happier passing closer than you were – you need less than two foot of road after all to avoid a collision. If you could fit a car down the road you can sure as hell fit more than two cyclists down it!

oldgit
    Free Member

yeah Belgium….nothing on the road, but everyman and his dog talks to you at cafes. njee20 I caused a new club member to fall off when I rode up to him, he wasn’t best pleased and that was perception.

njee20
    Free Member

A (elite racing) friend of mine used to come up your inside quite often when riding along and I’d be in my ‘normal’ position, used to freak me out a bit frankly, he was just very comfortable riding 2cm from the pavement! Used to regularly put leg warmers on/off while riding too!

imnotverygood

Seriously, this comes up so often for a reason.
    That reason being that the OP is correct.
    And this thread just keeps providing more evidence.

What sort of road bike do you ride Rusty?

jekkyl

I was just cresting the brow of a hill on a rural road on my mtb once, 3 older roadies came past and they all said hi & the one at the back said ‘come on mate jump on the back’….. which was nice!

RustySpanner

imnotverygood – Member

What sort of road bike do you ride Rusty?
    This one:

Got a Rolls on it now, but pretty much the same.

Hoping to swap the frame for something more comfortable this year, probably a Spa Audax.

Also a 1992 Rockhopper with rigid forks that’s used for very occasional commuting, shopping and touring.

Why do you ask?

clanton
    Free Member

Not too long ago I met a local sportive coming the other way whilst on a cx bike. Bastards ALL greeted me. After returning the first 30 or so I realised there was only one thing for it and put my head down and pretended to be laying down some awesome power and gurning too heavily to acknowledge them.

Another anecdote – did the Lemming trail ride a few years back – beautiful weather and passed hundreds of other mtber’s coming the other way. I greeted most if not all, about half returned it.

What does this prove? Nothing. people draw their own conclusions based on their personal experiences but coloured heavily by preconceptions and prejudices.

I think this need to be acknowledged as being part of a tribe is unique to the UK – certainly in South Africa and Europe you don’t get it as far as I have seen.

oldgit
    Free Member

Indeedy doody da.
    On the road bike I’m serious even if it doesn’t show, plus I’m a bit old fashioned….you know white socks, crimped cables, matching clothing, no water butts on yer back etc.
    When I’m audaxing….well hellooooo.
    CX racing a bit of both
    Road racing, painfully serious during, total opposite afterwards.
    MTB’ing for me pure fun so all smiles.
    MTB racing erm serious again.
    But ultimately I’m not there to please you, over a riding year the way I feel varies greatly. Sometimes I’m happy, sometimes I’m tired, sometimes I find I’m ill, sometimes I just don’t see you.
    This place crosses my mind sometimes when I’m out. I was ‘training’ on a local climb, guys says Hi and I couldn’t get a word out. Straight off to STW to moan I thought afterwards.

RustySpanner

Oh, come on, you love it really.
    🙂

As paid up racer and the roadiest roadie I know on here, you must feel a little embarrassed at the attitude of some people on here toward someone posting a simple question?

Unless it’s Fred again.
    Hmmmmn.
    OP – Kenny Dalgliesh sniffs dog’s bums.
    How do you feel about that?

oldgit
    Free Member

Dunno, people are just weird so not really. Kind of why I hardly bother with the niceties anymore. I mean I do say hello and stuff, but not all the time now. You give some newbie trying hard a hi and they ignore you….the cheeky f***ers.

Also stopped with the road ride signs (almost) got fed up with all the yells and people depending on it.

I am a absolute charmer when out though seriously 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 161 through 174 (of 174 total)

The topic ‘Unfriendly Roadies’ is closed to new replies.