Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Unexpectedly expensive weekends
  • slackboy

Apparently the height barrier at car parks also applies to cars carrying bikes. Who knew?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Ouch! Somebody’s Daddy is in the bad books. 😉

matt_outandabout

You Plum.

😉

slackboy

Not me. I was half way to Sunderland when this happened….

njee20
    Free Member

That’ll buff out. Are you sure it’s not a sticker?

slackboy

Any brands I should be looking at for a replacement other than Islabike?

It was a Beinn 26 (the older version) that she’d just got big enough to ride. It won’t get any off road use so would be looking for something light and rigid forked.

slackboy

Are you sure it’s not a sticker?

Pretty sure. But If I put them on backwards I can pretend I’ve upgraded her to a Lauf fork. Shes young, she won’t be able to tell the difference.

DickBarton

Frog

mikeys

Been there and done that – not good times! It looks like you got away with it lightly. I managed to rip the whole bike rack unit off and pull the car roof side rails apart. Lots of car fixing to do along with my classic Kona written off. Insurers and more importantly my other half were really good about it!

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s for this very reason that I have this on the dashboard of my car……….

Also saves me constantly checking the shadow of the car or reflections in shop windows to make sure the bike is still there.

slackboy

I’m lucky that I was riding my bike at the time as the insurance wouldn’t cover its value. Daughters bike should be covered on home insurance and the rack and car damage on the car insurance.

Its a pain but just stuff at the end of the day, no-one was hurt.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

^

Perchy – like that. What brand/where from etc?

A

slackboy

It’s for this very reason that I have this on the dashboard of my car……….

Thats a damn good idea.

perchypanther
    Free Member

What brand/where from etc?

Child observation mirror. £4 from the baby aisle in Tesco.

wilburt
    Free Member

Yep good idea, I’ll have one.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m getting one of those mirrors as I also suffer ‘are they still on the roof ok?’ paranoia. Absolutely brilliant idea

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Perchy wins the Internet for today. Off to get one now.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Before you buy one, consider carefully how you will get it to mount to the dash / windscreen.

It’ll probably need to be a sucker to the windscreen type arrangement or some sort of bodge.

In retrospect, a wider but shorter mirror or a convex one might have been better.

Also, not my original idea. I bodged it after reading this…..

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/roofscope-car-mirror/

IHN

Child observation mirror

Pervert

cookeaa

Any brands I should be looking at for a replacement other than Islabike?

Just looks like it needs a new fork and mech hanger, or is the frame borked?

Isla bikes should flog you a replacement hanger/fork if you ask them nicely…

https://www.islabikes.co.uk/customer-care

Replacement parts for Islabikes

We hold stock of most spare/replacement parts specifically for our customers’ use in the upkeep of their Islabikes. For current availability and to place an order, please call us during office hours.

If you require any technical assistance following the purchase of your Islabike please contact our technical support department at techsupport@islabikes.co.uk.

Give them a try…

slackboy

Just looks like it needs a new fork and mech hanger, or is the frame borked?

Thanks, I was thinking the same, the the bike was rear facing so the drive side rear rear drop out is visibly bent as well. As well as the mech hanger failing the mech has been ripped half too.

I’ll take it down the bike shop later so they can officially condemn it.

daern
    Free Member

Thanks, I was thinking the same, the the bike was rear facing so the drive side rear rear drop out is visibly bent as well. As well as the mech hanger failing the mech has been ripped half too.

Yeah, that’s unlikely to be salvagable, unless you can get them to sell you a new frame and fork. Unfortuantely, this type of rack also tend to put a fair load through the wheels too when you hit stuff, so they’re probably toast as well :-/

(ps. First image has vanished from the post for me so I can’t see the full glory of your cock up)

Love the mirror idea, although I quite often have the caravan on the back at the same time and it’s much harder to forget about that! 🙂

slackboy

How odd, here it is again.

Insurance company have come through though – after a 10 minute phone call they are transferring me the replacement cost direct to my account today!

daern
    Free Member

Nope. Would have been happier had I not seen that 🙁

Glad the insurance are treating you right. Good job. Now, time to go bike shopping… 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Child observation mirror

Pervert

Serious LOLs

daern
    Free Member

So, if I get this right, the rack (including the bike carriers) was covered on your car insurance and the bikes on the home insurance, presumably as “accidental damage”?

It’s an interesting thought, but I’ve never bought accidental damage home insurance before as I’ve never done anything that would need me to claim. Oh, except once, to call and ask if it was worth claiming for a pair of smashed Oakleys (no, it wasn’t, because of the excess) and then discovering that simply calling them about this classes as a “loss” and they increased my premium the following year as a result. W@nkers!

slackboy

Don’t know about the rack and car yet. I’m waiting for the car insurance to come back to me. I expect the rack to covered as an “accessory”

Bike covered on home insurance as I took out extra bike cover that includes loss, theft or damage outside the home.( Possibly the best £15 I’ve ever spent)

I don’t have accidental damage insurance on the house/contents itself

daern
    Free Member

Note to self: check house insurance when I get home 🙂

slackboy

Bit of a battle with car insurance company. They rejected the roof rack claim as I hadn’t notified them of the “modification” to the car.

We had a debate about whether a roof rack was a vehicle modification, vehicle accessory or personal belonging but in the end they agreed to pay the replacement costs. 🙂

So, top tip if you occassionally use a roof rack, or indeed a rear mounted carrier – tell your insurance company about it so you don’t get the same issue.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Is the roof itself distorted/buckled?

slackboy

Is the roof itself distorted/buckled?

Yes, quite badly. The roof rail on the car has bent and the roof is dented/buckled in several places

nickdavies

I’m lucky that I was riding my bike at the time as the insurance wouldn’t cover its value.

Slackboy earlier:

slackboy

Apparently the car needs a new roof which will take three weeks and cost (the insurers) about £4000.

That £4 kiddy mirror is starting to look like a really good investment for the future…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Unexpectedly expensive weekends’ is closed to new replies.