Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Unexpected Cafe finds….
  • MoreCashThanDash

Stumbled across Bryers deli and Cafe in East Lake a couple of weeks ago on a road ride.

Further research this morning confirms its worth the lazy bimble to get to. Hasbean coffee, amazing date banana and rum loaf, and it also sells Jaipur beer and some wine labelled “Rouleur”, which solves the present buying for roadie mates conundrum.

Free wifi and currently in the sun and out the breeze motivating myself for the headwind on the way home. Why can’t all days be like this?

ton

birkin fishing ponds, near Selby. ace stop on a road ride.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cardinham Woods cafe, it was the best cream tea we had during our trip to Cornwall.

hammyuk
    Free Member

East lake or East Leake????

jam-bo

Middle of the Kjolur route after 6hrs riding washboard gravel road into a headwind.never has a cheese toastie and lukewarm filter coffee tasted so good…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Food Gallery in Marlborough. Top notch in every way. Do a proper Croque Monsieur/Madame and local cider.

MoreCashThanDash

Leake, dammit.

And a quick mention of the Nutbrook Coffee shop on the Nutbrook Trail near Ilkeston. Opened at the start of the summer at what was once a derelict farm. Can’t be accessed by road, but always busy!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Will be in there tomorrow then!!!

legspin
    Free Member

My wife, who works in health referral was told by one of the referrals*(*fatties my words not hers) that its a shame you can’t drive to the Nutbrook cafe!

I haven’t been yet. It seems to close…

cinnamon_girl

Food Gallery in Marlborough. Top notch in every way. Do a proper Croque Monsieur/Madame and local cider.

Couldn’t get a mid-week lunch time table recently, ended up there later on for afternoon tea. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Am pleased to recommend this in Wiltshire, had a delicious afternoon tea with home-made scone. Cafe is actually in a disused church, complete with gravestone at the front and that was next to the table!

Home

Just to add that it’s in a valley and either side is a ridge, Shaston Drove and the Ox Drove.

Pigface
    Free Member

CG went past it yesterday and most weeks. Seems to be doing well.

BigJohn

We stopped at the National Trust cafe at Cardingmill Valley on the Long Mynd on Wednesday. I expected it to be all earnestness and dull food. It turned out to be rather good. The vegetarian scotch egg was fantastic. And the fruit juice and coffee were good too. Mind you we were a bit knackered so maybe that biased us.

Instead of sausage meat the egg was wrapped in a thick coat of potato, cheese, mustard and parsley then fried in breadcrumbs. Best scotch egg I’ve ever tasted.

funkynick

Used to live just up the road from where I am guessing the Nutbrook Cafe is, and we used to chat to them as we walked/ran/rode past…

They talked about opening a cafe there so am really pleased to hear they have managed to open it.

Will have to make an effort to go next time we are in the area.

whitestone
    Free Member

Smithy House at Pennyghael on Mull, run by a couple of completely barmy (in the best possible sense) Geordies.

We were touring, heading down to Iona and the weather was foul and turned up to find that the tea room was full. No problem there’s a couple of seats in the kitchen! So we sat there soaked to the skin while they served everyone. Brilliant!

cinnamon_girl

CG went past it yesterday and most weeks. Seems to be doing well.

Pigface – Chalke Valley Stores?

MoreCashThanDash

legspin – pretty sure you could call in there at the end of a ride….? And Mrslegspin could walk the fatties referrals to the café from the Rutland?

hammyuk – hope you enjoy it, but there may not be any of the date, banana and rum loaf left 😳

boxelder

Beckside Farm on the Ullswater shore ride. Bonus.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

T H Roberts. Cycled from the sea up the Mawddach Trail to Dolgellau and found a slice of cafe heaven there.

Think it was the old victorian pharmacy and maintains its patina and shelving. Huge place, it has a long breakfast bar with papers, board games etc. last time I visited there was an art exhibition upstairs. Which was nice.

Other one I love is not too far away in Machynlleth, the old CAT Quarry cafe that shut down for a while. since reopened but keeps an awesome menu and great atmosphere.

Squirrel

The Field Kitchen at Nettlebed (hidden round the back with the Post Office). Not cheap but awesome coffee and cakes. Not tried, but the brekkies look inviting too. Closed Sundays though.

Pigface
    Free Member

CG yes Chalke Valley Stores it seems to be thriving, I live about 6 miles away.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As ever, folks missing the point and just listing favourite cafs.

Oh well – imagine our surprise when coming off the descent of coire lair into achnashellach, and a lovely lady comes over and beckons her into her ‘tearoom’!.

Was basically a smashin couple who sold tea n cakes in their garden – cue a massive pile of scones, tea and huge jugs of iced diluting summer fruit squash. And it was about 10 quid for 6 of us.

Anyone know if they’re still serving?.

boxelder

No, it’s fairly new and we’d no idea it was there until we rounded the corner:
    Cafe – tick
    Unexpected – tick
    Can’t claim to have been the first to find it mind.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Didn’t mean everyone boxy!

rOcKeTdOg

http://jukestearoom.co.uk found by accident by OH whilst out walking

Most amazing home made cake I’ve ever seen, just far enough from me to burn off the calories from an indulgance too

WildHunter2009

Another vote for the field kitchen in Nettlebed. When im back in the UK visiting parents thats a mandatory cake stop. Helps theres some stonking riding around there.

northernerindevon

Out riding SW of Bristol on gorgeous day earlier this year and I stumbled across a walled garden housing an epic tearoom / restaurant called The Ethicurean. Fantastic espresso and chocolate cake so immense I can’t even begin to describe it. Gorgeous gardens, sheltered and with lovely views over to the Mendips. Needless to say it now features on quite a few of my rides 😆

antigee

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

yes all in all not very helpful stuff… something a bit more Narnia? Look what I found in the back of the wardrobe but with a roaring fire instead of an icey winter?

bigrich

T H Roberts

used to be an ironmongers when I was a little fella in the 80’s

Bolt

Not exactly a cafe but May’s shop in Hebden is always a welcome sight, out in the middle of nowhere it’s like Arkrights in open all hours!
    As and they will go down to the kitchen and make you a brew plus always have cake for sale.
    Great before the climb back over Gorple.

belugabob
    Free Member

Sumners Ponds Campsite

Has an unexcpectedly nice ‘Cafe by the Lake’ that serves the biggest scones I’ve ever seen – leading us to rename it as ‘Sumners scones’

It’s on one of those typical back roads that runs parallel to a main road (but far enough away to be quiet and relatively traffic free) and wuld be dead easy to ride past, as the whole site is to the rear of a farm, so can’t be seen from the road.

As it’s quite close to us, we sometimes drive over for a nice alfresco meal, but will be featuring it on road rides as much as possible.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Unexpected Cafe finds….’ is closed to new replies.