Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Unemployed; job search, what should I be doing..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I am guilty of not doing too much in terms of a job search, just looking in local paper and on the Planning Resource website (Planning Officer by trade). If I am honest town planning looks to be dead in the water with no signs of a recovery any time in the next couple of years so I am kind of open to ideas really. What sort of places should I be looking? The likes of jobcentre plus ain’t too good for professionalish jobs. What else should I be doing?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Emigrate? that should sort out Unemployment!

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve whacked my CV up on a few job websites such as monster, jobswales and planet recruit. I did that Monday and I’ve had 1 phone call a day from agents saying they have possible jobs if I’m willing to relocate.

Also, been trawling those sorts of websites and just googling in the form of ‘job location’ i.e. ‘computer job ceredigion’ which returns a few hits that I haven’t found elsewhere. I’ve also been on the websites of local businesses checking for vacancies.

AlasdairMc

Register with several agencies, meet them in person, and dust off your CV and get it up to date and targeted towards your job of choice.

j_me
    Free Member

Kick back and take it easy for a while, if Osbourne’s benefit reforms start to bite then try http://www.webuyanykidney.com . Could keep you going for a few months at least.

tron
    Free Member

Write a good CV, get it everywhere you can. Signal to noise ratio is poor for employers advertising jobs at the moment – get your CV in early and make sure it’s decent.

I heartily recommend “Perfect CV” by Max Eggert. Quick to read and works well.

chvck
    Free Member
    Hohum
    Free Member

I have been using agencies.

Sending in my CV, phoning them up and going to see them in person.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

When I was unemployed for a while, I made a list of all the companies within reasonable commutable distance that I thought I could work for, then sent letters out to all of them. Of about 50-60 letters sent out, I received around ten replies and 3 interviews two of which ended up in job offers. I reckon making job searching your day job helps a lot, set some time aside each day and be proactive.

Also, if your current skills are not looking likely to find you a job think about retraining it’s better for your self esteem and career prospects than sitting on your arse.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Another way to find jobs is to find an industrial estate or science park and research every company that appears on the list of companies at the site. Tedious I know, but something may come up. Not everything is widely advertised.

br
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ‘advertise’ that you’ve been a ‘Planning Officer’ as they are seen mostly in a negative way by Joe Public / the Private Sector – unless you can find a company who needs someone in their Estates dept.

Otherwise its tough, I’ve been barely working for 2 years now since redundancy.

crazy-legs

When I was redundant I tried to treat job searching as a full time job in itself. I used to get out for a morning ride then I’d be trawling jobsites, posting CV’s etc. Off to the bikeshop for lunch then back to more job stuff (I ws also doing some freelance writing & photography which helped stave off the boredom).

I bought the Dummies Guide to Job Hunting & Career Change which proved very useful – I’m done with it now so make me an offer and I’ll post it to you if you want?

Oh and ride your bike more, you’ve got to make the most of your freedom!

mmb
    Free Member

whenever i was unempolyed i used to ride over to industrial estates/business centres etc with a few cv’s and knock on doors with a big happy smile 😀 and introduce myself, got most of my jobs like that, you just can’t tell what a person is like until you meet them face to face and when you have to work with someone full time it’s good to meet them informally before an interview and it shows you’re willing and able too! good luck.

grantway
    Free Member

To be honest mmb got it spot on, as that is what i done many
    years back. I wouldnt have and never will mail out my CV
    as to be honest when i now get CV’s mailed to me they go in the
    draw/filing cabinet inbetween or makes the top of others.

But I would be more intrested in some one take the time and
    see me out of the Blue. at least you can ask what is the best time to
    see me if i was busy! and then give me your CV and remember to say
    you rather talk and explain your CV and give it to me then.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Unemployed; job search, what should I be doing..?’ is closed to new replies.