Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Understeer or Oversteer
  • Selled
    Free Member

So, I am approaching a very sharp but very wide corner… a switchback I guess. I lean…turn in.. whatever instinct tells me to do and I suddenly realize I have zero confidence in my front wheel going where I want it to go, I am sure it is slipping as I am often making very urgent quick corrections.

I guess this is understeer, but am happy if I am corrected. I also guess that playing with the position of my bars might help.

Any pointers?

kamina
    Free Member

Understeering meens your front wheel pushes forward, dispite you turning the handlebar. Oversteering means your rear wheel breaks loose.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Tyre pressure/wear/type? always worth considering.
    Bar position might make a difference, getting more/less weight on the front-same for length & rise of stem.
    Rider position, weight distribution etc. all play their own part

Selled
    Free Member

So it is understeer.

Any tips on what to try?

jedi

your feet, body and where you look will have a massive effect

will.i.am
    Free Member

Don't know what bike your on but if its a f/s its also worth checking out your shock setup. If you have no grip at the rear (eg overdamped and packing down)this also translates into no confidence turning in.

radoggair
    Free Member

Maybe your just wicked and riding too fast into bermz and the tyrez cant keep traction with your amzing ability?

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Understeer you see what your going to hit, oversteer you dont lol

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Leaning in and turning in are two different things and are very different in effect.

Leaning the bike produces camber thrust and turns independent of steering angle

turning the bars to the left moves the centre of gravity to the right and gyroscopic precession tips the bike to the right

speed has a huge affect on this camber thrust and gyroscopic precession and tiller action / steering angle are all effects that are real

if we had to think how it works we would all fall off our bikes – even Jedi

A switchback goes up and down in a straight line in English

Its an awfully complex thing to untangle in words get someone who really knows to watch you and they will see what is happening n a tenth of a second

porterclough
    Free Member

I'm with TJ here, you wouldn't really be turning the handle bars to steer, unless you are going really slow – instead you lean.

If going fast through switchbacks you should countersteer – turn the handlebar the 'wrong' way in order to tip the bike over faster (motorbikists do this).

If the front wheel is washing out / understeering would that be because you've got your weight far back? I was told to put your weight central and through the outside pedal and inside handle bar.

Oh and point your head and shoulders at the exit of the corner – and you magically go there.

Bez

1. a flick of countersteer on the way in, it drops your weight into the corner
    2. drop the inside of the bike down but keep your shoulders level
    3. get your balls as close to the stem as you dare

add 'pro elbows' to taste

sorted

soulrider
    Free Member

flamin 'ell TJ goes all Yoda on us..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hey ho soulrider if you had to describe what you did could you still ride a bike? Where wher eyou this weekend anyway!

Gyroscpic precession and camber thrust are two horrible concepts that enable you to ride

i defy anyone to describe them in words easy to understand! I know whats happening and can demonstrate it but cannot explain it in text ( can't do it at speed either – I diagnose lack of bottle on my behalf)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Understeer or Oversteer’ is closed to new replies.