Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 181 total)
  • underrated computer games.
  • racefaceec90

ah sorry. :oops:edit will ask on lemon 64 if anyone knows if there is an online version.someone there will know (they are all supercomputers of c64 knowledge there 🙂

tron
    Free Member

Martz
    Free Member

[img]http://retromedia.ign.com/retro/image/article/848/848473/interstate-76-20080129035040279-000.jpg[/img]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Garry_Lager

I remember doing that on football manager on the spectrum, running out of money, just break and get the code and change one line, then RUN.

good call on way of the exploding fist, ik+ and river raid.

Also TLL – tornado low level Deathchase (9k of memory!) was rated #1 all time on this Your Sinclair list. Don’t agree myself but clearly there’s a lot of love for the game. The top 100 is great reading.

If anyone’s interested in a trip down memory lane, the marvin emulator for android phones is linked into the world of spectrum library and can access any (literally) spectrum game for your phone. Whilst awesome, a touchscreen sucks as a control device. You really need buttons.

colournoise

slainte 8) rob

Cougar

+1 for TLL, cracker of a game for its time.

i used to love Spy vs Spy on the C64

You may be interested to know, there’s a film in development.

mudshark
    Free Member

Psytron on the Speccy – ignored by far too many

http://www.theoneliner.com/game1.html

Conqueror
    Free Member

D0NK

turbo esprit on speccy was cool as was robocop, c64 version was rubbish!
    Peyote I had blue max on c64 played it a bit and one of the few games my sister bothered about.
    🙂
    gribbly grobblys day out was fun
    xenon 2 was good but a bit easy
    toejam and earl?
    ATF2 and fighter bomber on the amiga

Oh and no idea if it was under rated or not but vagrant story was pretty freaking awesome

MrsToast
    Free Member

Ha! I loved Liberation, but I was rubbish at it, never managed to get anywhere. I once was told to meet someone at a certain location, then my robot got shot. :/

Legacy of Kain Defiance – it got 4/10 from Edge, which from that point made me take anything Edge says with a pinch of salt.

Was quite well recieved at the time, but doesn’t get much love now. Proof that advergames can be good! Actually quite a few of the advergames in 16 bit era were good – Superfrog (Lucozade), James Pond Robocod (Penguins), Pushover (Quavers). Sleepwalker (Red Nose Day), Zool (Chupa Chups).

And of course, Fantastic Pets, a Kinect for the 360. You should all buy it, and marvel at the awesomeness of the pet customiser. Ahem.

flipiddy
    Free Member

Future Cop: LAPD

Epic, intense 2 player co-op and VS games. Amazing gameplay for it’s time (1998) but never heard anyone else mention it. Was it a big game? Think I picked it up in the bargain bucket for a fiver. Good times…

http://youtu.be/4BkLKhIEPpc
    http://youtu.be/aGoBfIJ0P4s

WIndows demo: http://download.cnet.com/Future-Cop-LAPD/3000-2095_4-10023607.html

sinisterwolf
    Free Member

spy vs spy, kickstart 2, gauntlet, international soccer, impossible mission, boulderdash – C64
    Sensible soccer – Atari st
    super tennis, nba jam – snes
    Spy vs spy has been re-released since on the xbox with the origional game included but it didn’t have the same playability :0(

molgrips
    Free Member

I was gonna post Carrier Command actually. I found it as a bundle disk with some other stuff and I had no manual for it, so I had to figure it all out. Phenomenal – way before its time. I managed to beat the enemy ship by sinking it – only time I ever won.

Also – don’t think it was popular at the time, but this:

And it’s prequel.

fbk
    Free Member

SPy vs Spy & Bitmap Bros games – wow, I’ve gone all nostalgic at the thought of them 🙂

Cougar

toejam and earl?

Oh, good call, definitely an underrated classic.

Anyone else remember Crafton & Xunk?

Conqueror
    Free Member

forgot this

Euro
    Free Member

IA

I don’t think anything bitmap brothers can be called “underrated” though I’ll perhaps give you Z.

simondbarnes

Flicky

lemonysam
    Free Member

Shining Force II, way better than final fantasy at that stage.

Palace of Magic on BBC Micro, I still wake up at night having nightmares about that **** boot.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDghvTPhsf8&feature=related[/video]

Pandora’s Box for Acorn, brilliant game and I never anaged to finish it even when I cheated…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVOVmjxQNss[/video]

Oh and Psychonauts as someone already mentioned

racefaceec90

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-cJmj-64J4[/video] loved this on my amiga 500+

Cougar

Ooh, I know. Silver.

Euro
    Free Member

Don’t know what happen to my original post ❓

Del

revs on the bbc.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Shining force 2, great call. The shining games are some of the best made, I’ve got them all mint boxed, won’t ever sell them.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Wow, how much of shining force III do you have? That must be worth a few quid. I’ve only ever played it as a fairly dodgy ROM.

In fact that reminds me of a game which is hardly underrated but certainly is somewhat overlooked: panzer dragoon saga.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiG-b9JFixw[/video]

jimjam
    Free Member

So many games in this thread are either forgotten, or just weren’t big hits. Quite a lot of them were critically acclaimed so I think I’m just gonna throw up a few I have fond or vague memories of and maybe others do too. Cant believe how much of Sabrewulf I recalled from that screenshot. Anyway, here goes.

Saboteur

Who dares wins II

Fighting warrior

ATV Simulator

Zub

Gauntlet

Renegade

Zombies ate my Nighbours

Immortal

not underrated by any stretch but I must mention

and the daddy

samuri
    Free Member

hehe. What a great thread. Some awesome memories going on there.

Chaos Engine and Jet Set Willy really ring a bell. As does Wheelie.
    One game that I’ve not seen so far though is orbitor on the Spectrum.

And Arkadia…

Still, this is all nothingness, compared to….Populous 2!!!!

Cougar

Speaking of Speccy games,

Did anyone get to the end of Dragontorc (or Avalon for that matter)?

Euro
    Free Member

❓ ❓ ❓

Don’t know why my Fury of the bloody Furries image keeps getting removed. Hardly offensive.

The greatest pre-online multiplayer game ever – Skidmarks

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Original Delta Force, playing on line till the early hours.

F117A

Gunship 2000

Diablo II

Laser Squad on the Amstrad.

And can anyone remember the name of that game where you controlled 4 men set in the future where you did missions around a city? You earn’t money and developed weapons like a gattling gun,flame throwers.

Tiger6791

Nobody has mentioned Solitaire.

It’s free sits on your PC for those bored moments at work

colournoise

2 more speccy classics.

And I think the “4 men set in the future where you did missions around a city” must be…

slainte 😀 rob

yunki
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUmViPtuC1o[/video]

not really played any computer games since this.. apart from a brief vacation into nerdworld to complete silent hill..

xiphon
    Free Member

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Yep thats the one Colournoise.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Just found out there is a ZX spectrum Elite collection on itunes thats got Laser Squad on it for the iphone/itouch 😀

IA

And can anyone remember the name of that game where you controlled 4 men set in the future where you did missions around a city? You earn’t money and developed weapons like a gattling gun,flame throwers.

Syndicate (as above, or syndicate wars).

Gauntlet, Diablo 2 “underrated”?!

Gunship 2000 though – top choice! Also skidmarks 🙂

z1ppy

Some great suggestions on here: Elite, Turbo Esprit, Sabre Wolf brings back some good memories of my Spectrum 48 days, I had many an hour wasted plaing Commando & Green Beret (again probably not underrated).
    My favorite from back then was Quazatron:

Actually downloaded it with an emulation pack a couple of years back, unfortunately the fustration caused playing it, didn’t translate well 😳

Slightly more up to date (but not too much) & maybe more I remember as their game play was great (maybe another thread in the making?):

Systemshock, you can have monster jump out at you left and right in Doom et all, but the downright spooky calls of the Ai in the this game were great atmosphere-wise (Bio-shock was a contempory apparently) & the lack of ammo meant you couldn’t just run amok with your gun. Though Wiki kinda suggest it did “moderately successful”, so may not really come under the “underrated title”

Also there was an IGN modern day soldier/assasin RPG game I can’t recall the name of (damn thats fustrating, and IGN have release quite a few games)

oh and Max Payne’s bullet time, cool as ****

Waderider
    Free Member

British Lowland on the Speccy 48k. Why bother with graphics when they are shite?!

I still play Speccy games (very occasionally 🙄 ), using FUSE on Ubuntu. Emulator available here and games available here.

Agree with lots of the above sentiment 😀 Have to say though I don’t like games that are just about blowing things up and shooting. I worked that out of my system with original Doom. Free browser version here, I’ve played it full screen somewhere on the net……

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘underrated computer games.’ is closed to new replies.