Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Underfloor heating – electric or wet?
  • boriselbrus
    Free Member

I'm rebuilding the kitchen at the moment and will be using underfloor heating. What are the pros and cons of wet and electric systems and what are running costs like? It's roughly 16 square metres and the boiler is a new 'A' rated condensing job with spare capacity.

Thanks

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Anybody?

Taff
    Free Member

From an architects point of view we always go for the wet system from a financial point of view. Some people prefer the electric as the potential issues of leaking in the future don't apply. Also be aware that for it to be efficient it needs to be on constantly and shouldn't be stop started as and when you feel cold.

What floor finishes are you going for? That can have an impact on your choice too.

fenboy

I would specify wet for that kind of area much more efficient to run off your boiler, electric ones generally used for much smaller areas(bathrooms etc) and if you have issues with the floor build up/depths and being able to install the wet system.

so wet

teagirl
    Free Member

We had wet in our large kitchen, multi use room nearly 2 years ago. It's lovely, set the thermo and it sorts out. Dogs love the warm floor. Not instant tho' about 3-4 hours reaction time. Cost-wise, no change to bills but we've top boiler (new) and insulation that's prob overdone really. No experience with electric but if you're fitting for longevity go 'wet'.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just to add a different point of view, we put electric into a [largish] first floor bathroom under new limestone tiles about 7 years ago.
    It was cheap to fit and seems to work well – still working fine. It's swiched of during the summer months.
    On the other hand, given your situation, I'd go wet as it's probably cheaper to run and a better long term installation, but you do have the additional hassle of sorting out your floor levels, plumbing etc. If you're happy with that, then wet must be the better system for your situation.

Bear
    Free Member

electric expensive to run, more of a problem if it gets damaged.

wet is fantastic, used loads in all sorts of properties, used it my own house, till I left (that's another story!).

Tried different makes, but now only use David Robbens, unless the client is against it (never happened yet). I have had nothing but fantastic service from them over the years. They are at the top end, but the design is very important and they do all the design work, providing you with all the figures that you need and very good drawings.

Any questions just mail me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Underfloor heating – electric or wet?’ is closed to new replies.