Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Uncle John as a cx racer
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I need a replacement frame before before the season starts next month and there's one for sale around the corner.
    Just wondered what they were like for race day duties as they look very long in the chainstay which makes them look sluggish?

boxelder

Nick Craig raced an On-One TiX (on the 3 peaks anyway) and it's the same geometry isn't it. As a none cx racer myself, this comment is probably worthless. Mine feels pretty nifty offroad (TiX)

clwydrider
    Free Member

There was a lad on one on the wild wales on Sunday. Didn't look sluggish to me!

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Depends how serious you want to take your racing. I raced one all last season but it's now been relegated to back-up race bike. No complaints, really, except:

1) the rear spacing was 135mm which meant 'pinching-up' a standard 120mm rear wheel, which made rear wheel puncture swaps a tad more tricky during a race;

2) semi-sloping geometry made it a little more difficult to shoulder (smaller front triangle);

3) there's too many 'extra bits' for it on to be a 'proper' CX racing bike (mudguard and rack eyelets, disk brake mounts, bottle bosses). Bottle cage bolts were removed from mine for races and holes taped over (bolt heads painful when shouldering);

4) the paint's made of cheese. Insulation tape will pull it off :O)

Apart from those niggles, they're truly excellent bikes. Obviously better suited as 'all-rounders' rather than thoroughbred race bikes.

oldgit
    Free Member

Thurman Merman
    Pretty much as I thought.
    As for seriousness, well I'll be in the 50+ and the seasons only six races long (Central CX)hence not wanting to spend a lot.
    I think I might be better off with a cheap Graham Weigh alu frame with proper race geometry.
    Cheers.

aP
    Free Member

Oldgit – hope you're coming to my race on 25th October?
    Why not give the px a try – you could always sell it on in February.

oldgit
    Free Member

Is that Hillingdon, then yes definately. it was terrible watching from the sidelines all last year.
    So yes as long as I don't take on anymore steep drops with no brakes and end up half crippled I'll see ya.

Kuco

Nick Craig raced an On-One TiX

And it still rides nice now 🙂

daveplanetx
    Free Member

Id say the uncle john is very much a cyclo cross racer , it was designed first by nick craig , then geometry tweaked and finalised by matt ellis who was a top cross racer and raced for us for a couple seasons.

It was designed very much in the euro cross style ,non sloping top tube , easy to carry , the only allowances were the rackmounts / disc mounts, and 130mm spacing over 135mm, that means it can double up as a decent ride to work type utilitartian bike , but its first and foremost a pure cyclo cross bike fit for racing cross.

oldgit
    Free Member

It's sold now anyway. Turned out the guy selling it was a 1st cat, so if it was good enough for him!
    Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Uncle John as a cx racer’ is closed to new replies.