• This topic has 73 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Ultra light tents – any experiences?
  • tjagain

I am thinking of buying a new light tent and have seen a few made with much thinner materials – 15d for flysheets and 40d for ground sheets rather than the usual 30d and 75d. Anyone got / used one? It saves a kilo on a decent sized two man tent but I worry about durability

I have been looking at these tents and the hilleberg. Any others I should consider? Its for two of us for multiple days 3 season in Scotland so not too small and must be robust are my red lines 😉

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/two-person-tents-c26/exped-cetus-ii-ul-tent-p2782
    https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/two-person-tents-c26/lightwave-g20-ultra-xt-tent-p1210

matt_outandabout

My (flawed) Alpkit Delta has such light fabrics.

Despite lots of care, I have a taped up tear in the groundsheet from a bit of Heather. I do use a groundsheet protector most of the time, adding another few grammes to it.
    Fly is ok, but being Sil-nylon it stretches much more than other nylons in my experience.
    All other fittings etc are fine and up to the job imho.

There is no way it’s going to last as long as my old Macpac, but thrn nothing would. But it cost £60..,.

ahsat

We bought a TN Solar Photon 2 (rather cosy and small porch, but fits in frame bag in medium Cotic Soul) and used it for a few nights bikepacking last year. Unfortunately due to injury it hasn’t had any further use. It is sub 1kg, and for that, the material is very lightweight. I’d be careful where I’d pitch it, and wouldn’t use it without the nylon footprint which takes it to over 1kg packed. However we have other tents for ‘regular’ use. That tent is very much to serve a purpose. You purchase a super light weight tent for the pack size etc, but think accept you have to treat it with care.

The TN Starlight looks worth a look. Wasn’t yet in stock when we needed to purchase something.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

My TerraNova Laser Photon will be going up for sale soon, I can’t get on with the design-makes me feel claustrophobic! Robust and light though!

scratch
    Free Member

I’ve got an old Akto from before the prices rocketed, it doesn’t get as much use as it should but was fine on a very stormy trip around Mid-Wales last September (I did get a bit worried during the night time lightning mind with the metal pole directly above my head)

I bought it over the Terranova for durability over lightness, it’s been fine so far over 10ish years, I have a sneaky suspicion I may have bent a pole though, or was it always like that?

scotroutes

Ultralight =/= 2.4Kg

The newer version of my Scarp 1 (you saw it in Glen Feshie) sleeps two, has dual vestibules and comes in under 1.5Kg. There’s also a full Scarp 2 that weighs 1.7Kg. Neither really fall into Ultralight category either but they are a good compromise for robustness/durability.

I like the dual vestibule design as it gives options for door opening, storage, cooking shelter and for each to be able to get out of bed without crawling over the other. A lot less claustrophobic and awkward than a tunnel design too.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

When you bear in mind that those tents don’t include pegs and bags in the weights they don’t look that light. Add in a footprint as well and with sensible pegs you are looking at around 2.3kg I’d have thought.

For that weight I’d go with a tent with at least a more robust groundsheet. Hilleborg would be getting my money in your situation.

molgrips
    Free Member

When you bear in mind that those tents don’t include pegs and bags in the weights they don’t look that light.

The pegs are tiny carbon twigs and the bags are so thin they weigh almost nothing.

I’ve stayed in a Laser Photon. Very light, but not that comfy to sleep in. Love it when carrying it, not when pitching it. Probably not suitable for you tbh TJ.

richpips
    Free Member

For a true 3 season tent in Scotland I’d say you’d have to be pretty careful with sub 1.5kg tents. A sheltered site is a must, None of the groundsheets will tolerate pointy rocks.

I’ve used the Alpkit Ordos, Force10 Helium tents, and have just ordered a sub 1kg Nordisk. They’ll all keep you dry, but all have their limitations.

Sandwich

Lightwave tents work ok but you do need to pack them with care. My XT flysheet has a small friction hole from rolling it up across some stone in the grass. Fortunately it’s in the vestibule end so not a problem.
    The inner first pitch can be a problem when it’s sheeting down as it’s mostly mesh. The vestibule is huge though 2 of us in low camping chairs were comfortable and able to cook as well. Venting is ok for cooking inside too. (They are now the same price as Hilleberg were when I bought mine)

trademark
    Free Member

For roomy solo cycle touring I’m erring towards buying the 1.5 version of this Trekkertent.
    Very light.

tjagain

What I want is a large robust two person tent. The question is are the lighter materials robust enough for us? The tent will get a lot of use and we have on occasion had to sit out long periods of time in it in the rain so it needs to be larger than the laser or else I will be murdered.

Its not a tent as light as possible we need – its a decent sized robust tent that is the lightest possible. Are the tents made of the ultralight fabric like the first of those linked to strong enough?

Scotroutes – My memory of that tent of yours is its a bit small for what we want. wouldn’t fancy two weeks in it. Is it made of the thinner material?

The last 2 or 3 year we have been using a lightwave ionx that I picked up cheap but that has some flaws solved on the newer lightwave tents.

tjagain

Anyone use trekking pole tents? Seems a good idea as we will be carrying trekking poles anyway and saves weight. those trekkertents look interesting

ahsat

Have you considered the MSR Hubba Hubba series? We had a look and were impressed, and though not right for our specific needs, looked like a good balance of weight, liveability and durability. Only question would be, being USA based, it’s a largely mesh inner on most of them, which might not be so great in damp Scotland?!

trademark
    Free Member

I’ve heard from someone I trust that the Trekkertents are strong for their weight. How strong that is I’ll find out this year in the Highlands, but I do tend to be careful with my kit and they are made in the UK so I’m optimistic.

For about £38 you can buy alloy poles from BearBones here, like I’ll need for cycle touring.

ton

stop pissing about, and get some cash spent you tight gyet…… 😆

http://gb.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/red-label-tents/nallo-2/

matt_outandabout

The suggestion of MSR above is good – they do seem to offer more space than some others.

I am a fan of Vango, not popular I know, but a couple of thier posher models are spot on weight/room/price balance.

I’ve also seen a couple of very good lighter Robens as well, that offered twin entrances and good space. (Edit: Raptor model)

matt_outandabout

To add – I’ve spent a week in a Nallo and wasn’t that impressed. Poorly vented, to shallow a slope at foot end led to wet feet twice. For the money, there is better imho.

boblo
    Free Member

Mebbies also have a look at Big Agnes. Downside is they’re Yankee designed so inner first and fully tensioned with whippy poles. They are light though, good quality and well designed. Not sure if they do a tunnel/extended porch but you can research them.

I use a Seedhouse SL2 for extended (many, many nights) solo or cosy two’s up with SWMBO. Porch isn’t huge but that’s not an issue for me. Weight is not that much different to a fully specced Laser Comp. They do UL versions as well for more ££/fewer Ozs.

BadlyWiredDog

Have you considered the MSR Hubba Hubba series? We had a look and were impressed, and though not right for our specific needs, looked like a good balance of weight, liveability and durability. Only question would be, being USA based, it’s a largely mesh inner on most of them, which might not be so great in damp Scotland?!

They aren’t, ime, great in UK conditions and the Hubba Hubba NX, at least, has an end design that folds in on itself in strongish winds – the guying points are in the wrong place – which is disconcerting in a ‘hello, the roof of my tent just slammed into my face sort of way’ and this is just the summer solstice.

The mesh panels make them pretty draughty too. The MSR Access are winter-specced so extend the transverse pole and do away with the mesh, but also weigh more. Nicely designed with decent internal space and two doors though and not outlandishly heavy.

I’ve used a Nordisk Telemark and that was super-lightweight, but tougher feeling than you’d expect, but ultimately nothing that’s very light is also going to be very tough. Nordisk stuff is expensive too, but they do some serious wind tunnel testing on them – see vids on YouTube.

Agree with the venting comments on the Nallo above.

HTH :-/

shermer75
    Free Member

Another TN Solar Photon here, so far so good! I am careful with it though..

whitestone
    Free Member

We’ve a Vango Spirit 200+ which is very similar in design to the Exped Cetus (it’s also 3Kg!). It’s OK but I wouldn’t want to be holed up in it for a couple of days. If the design extends to the ventilation, hard to tell from the images, then in humid weather you’ll get condensation pooling in the tent. The door panel only has a mesh section in the upper third and there’s just two small “windows” at the foot end. I wouldn’t buy it again. The Vango F10 Xenon is probably the newer version of it.

Our other lightweight tent is a Terra Nova LaserComp – I bought it for a mountain marathon and have used it for cycle touring but it’s very, very snug and not what you are looking for. It is what I’d class as ultra-light being 900g.

The problem with full or substantially mesh inners is that the air that you heat up gets carried away so you are constantly having to reheat new air meaning you need a better rated sleeping bag and clothing. Ideally you’d be able to cover over the mesh panels. You’d also have the problem of avoiding drips of condensation from the outer falling through the mesh but unless things were very humid you’d be unlikely to get that much condensation.

As Rich says, site location can be a big factor. I’ve used car camping style frame tents in a storm without problem but had a full on mountain tent ripped to shreds, the difference being how exposed the site was. Incidentally the one that got destroyed was a Terra Nova but it was our choice of location that was the problem, it had previously stood up to a Scottish winter storm without problem.

To keep the headline weight down, the lightweight tents skimp on the groundsheet meaning that they recommend a footprint which of course pushes the weight back up to what it should have been in the first place 🙄 Weights get quoted without pegs in the same way that bike weights are quoted without pedals as it’s up to the end user as to what they prefer or what might be needed for any given trip. For a roomy 2 man tent then somewhere around the 1.5Kg mark is probably as low as you want to go

I too was going to suggest the MSR Hubba Bubba. Partly mesh inner but two doors and a lot of room. Edit following Badlywireddog’s post – the Access does look a good bet as well, quoted as a mere 12g heavier than the Hubba Bubba.

Is there any store near you that does a tent display day/weekend? It would definitely be worth a visit as you’d be able to actually see what the tents are like in terms of room and materials. Alternatively head to a campsite and ask owners of the tents about them

BadlyWiredDog

I too was going to suggest the MSR Hubba Bubba. Partly mesh inner but two doors and a lot of room.

As above, the end poles can fold under in strong-ish, but by no means excessive winds, and the thing is quite draughty. If you want MSR with a bit more UK friendliness, look at the Access instead would be my suggestion. You lose a little on venting, but it’s warmer and more stable.

shermer75
    Free Member

To answer your question, the fabric definitely does feel fragile, so it does freak me out a bit and I am super careful with it, but it has lasted (so far!) It’s been used a few times over a couple of years…

NZCol

I use a MSR carbon reflex – it’s v thin and I do carry a cut roll of tarp to pitch it on as the tub will not last. It’s v light though and a decent size. From using both I’d go for the nordisk equivalent though

stevious

I’ve got the MSR Hubba Hubba – it’s good for vertical space but only OK for floor space. 2 vestibules is great though.

More generally, I’d echo the thoughts of those above about the new lightweight fabrics necessitating the use of a footprint. The fly seems to stand up to weather brilliantly but the floor can leak if it’s really awful. Just make sure you budget that in your weight calculations and you’ll be grand.

dudeofdoom

Not for the OPs needs but for anyone else’s wanting to try ultralight on the cheap.

There’s crazy cheap versions Chinese versions of the Big Agnes Sold under NatureHike brand that are around and under 70 squid and they’re not ultrashite.

(You just have to get the right colour as the materials are different on the colours)

jonnyboi

I’ve used the decathlon ultralight in mountain marathons

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-2-hiking-tent-2-man-grey-id_8245650.html

Sub 2kg and has stoodup to high winds and rain admirably, not a flashy make but only £120

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve been using a

https://www.approach-outdoor.com/tentes-de-randonnee/6329-taurus-ul-2p.html

for a few years. Big enough for two, warm, tall enough to sit up in, pitches in one go, well made, the siliconed fabric is standing up very well to UV.

The downside is the hight in high winds. Even pitched tail into the wind it’s less stable than say a Wild Country dome.

I’ve got a Ferrino that’s even lighter but wouldn’t take on a trip to the Alps or Scotland.

DrJ

Hilleborg would be getting my money in your situation.

They do ask for such a lot of it, though 🙂

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

Does it have to be a Tent?
    Ive used the F4A for just over a year,in some horrific weather and it performed fantastic.
    No real weight penalty, but a lot more room

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoGxZkkWOLE[/video]

charliew

Helsport do some nice tents… something like this?
    http://www.helsport.no/fonnfjell-superlight

Also 15% at a local supplier:
    http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/Mobile/MBSCProduct.asp?PdtID=21148119

poe82
    Free Member

We have a vaude taurus ultralight which has been absolutely awesome. Is under 2kg for a 2 man but it feels plenty sturdy and robust.

poe82
    Free Member

The vaude was one of the only tents that caters for 6’+ people too so a little extra weight was well worth it for us

angeldust
    Free Member

My advice is, do whoever you are going with a favour, and buy a one man tent.

footflaps

I used a Macpac Microlight for the last KIMM I did. It’s really a one man tent you can just fit two people in with no room to move. The inner is all mesh, so doesn’t keep any heat in. Weighs about 1.4kg.

breninbeener

We have used our Easton Kilo for a tour of Normandy and the NC500. Its snug 2 person but is nice and light. Not sure what would happen in a big blow. The carbon poles are lovely and it comes with light pegs too.

It pitches inner first. I like it but im sure there are roomier 2 man tents

simondbarnes

but im sure there are roomier 2 man tents

Indeed, mine seems just perfect for one!

Not sure what would happen in a big blow

Mine survived a rather big blow on Arran earlier this year 🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Terra Nova Zephyros 2XL Lite here.
    Pretty roomy, but not great porches. Big enough for two people not in a sexual relationship.
    About 1.5kg, material holds up well.
    Bought as I thought my (then) wife would come camping with me.
    She didn’t and a bit big for just me… Now use tarp and bivvy until I find someone to come bike packing with me.

Sanny
    Free Member

Trekkertent Phreeranger with dual entry and the extended bell? Marc designs his tents for Scottish conditions – ie midges and heavy rain. I am not a fan of inner pitch first tents so rate the outer pitch design when the rain is pouring down. US made superlight stuff is fine in the US but in the UK, no see um inners aren’t so good when the temperatures drop and the wind gets up. An added bonus is that you get to support a Scottish company!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Ultra light tents – any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.