Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ultegra vs 105
  • nickc

functionally any real difference? There’s a bit of weight gain on 105 (about a couple of hundred grams) but other than that, I’m assuming it’s as stiff as, shifts just as well, lasts just as long?

I’m being a groupset snob, aren’t I? 😆

meehaja
    Free Member

Most of the weight saving is in the chainset IIRC. I have ultegra and it is lovely compared to my 5 year old 105 on my cx bike, but thats not really a fair comparison is it?

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve had both cassettes and really can’t tell them apart. Was wondering if I’d been had when I bought the Ultegra, just a different name on the box.
    DA is a lot lighter though, noticably different. My next cassette for the training bike will be 105, DA for the race bike.

nickc

It’s probably closer than you think, I’m replacing 5 yr old Ultegra.

the well known german site has 105 for £380 and Ultegra for £500. Worth the extra 120 sheets?

nasher
    Free Member

The ultegra crank is much nicer….but other than that litle difference..

jonk

Difference between the cassettes is Ultegra gets a satin finish and an alloy lock nut where as 105 is chrome with steel locknut. I have often wondered what the difference is with my current road beast 105 and the next one being at least Ultegra and the difference to me is the finish on Ultegra is much nicer, the crank and rear mech look nicer but thats about it.

mudshark
    Free Member

I have previous gen Ultegra and 105 shifters and the Ultegras feel a lot nicer to use – I find the 105s feel rather spongy. Always use 105 cassettes though.

zilog6128

Most of the functional improvement in the jump to Ultegra seems to be in the brakes & wheels, the rest is just lighter. I wouldn’t be surprised if new 105 was as good or better than 5 yr old Ultegra though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ultegra vs 105’ is closed to new replies.