Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ultegra Cables any decent alternatives
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I need to put a complete new set of cables on my bike. Standard road bike setup 6800 ultegra groupset and rim brakes just wondering if there is either a cheaper alternative to ultegra cables or a better option. Ultegra looks to cost around £40.

gifferkev

Jagwire racer cable sets have always worked fine for me. Plenty of colour options if you want to mix it up too.
    [/url]

nathb
    Free Member

+1 for the Jagwire cables linked above.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought a bulk pack of PTFE coated inners and lengths of Shimano SP41 outer. Works out cheaper in the long run especially off-road, works out about a fiver to do all the gears.

The newer shimano inner cables are good, but they’re not £20 better than normal PTFE good, especially this time of year when just cleaning the cables once in a while has more effect than buying expensive ones.

KCNC cables are good, they’re coated in a crumbly powder of PTFE, so as it breaks down it lubricates the cable. That and who doesn’t want colour co-ordinatted inner cables!

xico
    Free Member

I bought a bulk pack of PTFE coated inners and lengths of Shimano SP41

Where did you buy the bulk packs please?

jonba
    Free Member

Jagwire for me. I like the bendy bits to go under bar tape. But You can also buy shimano stuff by the meter. CRC used to do it. Inner cables also CRC or wiggle.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can’t remember, probably ebay or Parkers. Coloured SP41 you can get from most big shops for about £2.99 a meter.

xico
    Free Member

Can’t remember, probably ebay or Parkers. Coloured SP41 you can get from most big shops for about £2.99 a meter.

The outers are not a problem and can be bought in long lengths almost anywhere. Buying inners in bulk is a different matter, unless you wish to invest in a box of 50 or so!

aracer
    Free Member

Clarks cable sets for me – work well and cheap

pdw
    Free Member

Wiggle Lifeline for £5.98 all in? As long as they’re stainless, I really don’t think there’s much too choose between them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The outers are not a problem and can be bought in long lengths almost anywhere. Buying inners in bulk is a different matter, unless you wish to invest in a box of 50 or so!

It was x10 for about £20 or so. I’ll have a look and see if I can find an invoice.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ultegra Cables any decent alternatives’ is closed to new replies.