Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ulpha to Wasdale off road
  • slackboy

Can anyone recommend a not too technical route from Ulpha (ish) to Wasdale? I know I can get to wasdale from eskdale green or boot via burnmoor tarn but I’m looking for something good from ulpha as well.

Start point is flexible as the missus will be dropping me off en-route. Looking for something fairly direct around 20 miles as I’ll need to get to wasdale in time to put the tent up 😀

Thanks

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Up wallowbarrow and round harter fell (bit of a bog fest until the top then a good run down). Then boot, burnmoor tarn, wasdale would be the most direct. A few chances to to have a wobble down some alternatives in eskdale

slackboy

Thanks, I’ll give that a go

boxelder

Up to Burnmoor from Boot is a ball ache – head up Miterdale from lower down Eskdale near The Bower House and then take the short, steep push from Miterdale Head, alongside Black Gill, to White Moss. Once on the ridge freestyle along past the standing stones to Burnmoor tarn. Alternatively, take the BW heading NE from Miterdale Head, along the flank of Illgill Head to Burnmoor.
    To get to Eskdale you can descend past Stanley Ghyll Force from the Birker Fell road.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I went up that way a couple of years back Boxelder and stuggled finding the way up to Whitemoss from Miterdale. I got to the old outdoor centre and then the track just disappeared and it became a slog through the bogs until I found the good trail coming up from Boot to the stone circles.

I was heading the other way – back to Boot – so no idea what it is like heading to Burnmoor Tarn.

I don’t know if the trail up Tongue Moor that passes above the tarn from Miterdale is any better? Or the one up from Boot along Whillan Beck?

I just remember that slog… it was an absolute nightmare! Which is a shame as the ride up Miterdale itself had been rather pleasant.

boxelder

Ride to the end of the forestry and turn right, climbing between the forest and the gill. Not pleasant, but over in 10 mins. Tongue Moor on the other side is OK – a bit rutted in parts. Will be dry just now.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

May have another go sometime – I had put together a nice little loop for the way home from a job, which turned out to be a lot longer (in time terms) than I had anticipated as a result of struggling to find the track up the moor and then getting bogged down when I got there!

The herd of cows didn’t make life easier having churned everything up!

Garry_Lager

boxelder – Member

Up to Burnmoor from Boot is a ball ache – head up Miterdale from lower down Eskdale near The Bower House and then take the short, steep push from Miterdale Head, alongside Black Gill, to White Moss. Once on the ridge freestyle along past the standing stones to Burnmoor tarn. Alternatively, take the BW heading NE from Miterdale Head, along the flank of Illgill Head to Burnmoor.
    To get to Eskdale you can descend past Stanley Ghyll Force from the Birker Fell road. Boxelder is not a man to be gainsaid when it comes to the Lakes, certainly not by me, but in this particular instance he appears to be talking bollox. Burnmoor up from Boot is nowhere near a ballache.
    Moderate vexing of the balls straight off with a steep push, but it’s over quick and you can mount up and ride all the way over nae bother. Overall it’s a fine traverse into Eskdale.

boxelder

Perhaps I was hasty. Last time I did it was a couple of weeks ago, several hours into the L200. Probably easier when fresh. From Boot is the ‘usual’ way, so can’t be that bad, but I always seem to be heading the opposite direction.

slackboy

Burnmoor up from Boot is nowhere near a ballache

It was a bit of a ballache. Combination of rocks, bogs, hardtail and lack of skills meant I ended up pushing most of it. Enjoyed the ride though. T

hanks for the tip of going via wallowbarrow – great descent off Harter Fell.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ulpha to Wasdale off road’ is closed to new replies.