Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • UK motorbike licence question.
  • roper
    Free Member

I have a full Uk car driving licence which allows me to ride a 49cc moped. What would I need to do so I can ride a more powerful bike? Would I be able to do the full exam in one day or does it have to be done in stages?

jon1973
    Free Member

After I’d done my cbt. I did a weekend course followed by a test which gave me full access. That was a good few years ago now, and I was over 21 which makes a difference.

wattsymtb
    Free Member

I’ve just done the direct access. You need to be 24 or over and there are 3 parts. You need to do a theory test (which is almost identical to the car one). You then do the mod 1 which is in a large tarmac area and involved weaving through cones, doing an emergency stop and things like that. Finally you need to do the mod 2 test which is similar to the car test.

They need to be done on separate days so 3 days minimum. I did a 4 day course which included all test fees and bike hire. Cost just shy of £700 if you pass all tests first time.

iolo
    Free Member

do a DAS course. 2 days training. Then the mod 1 test in a controlled environment (fenced off tarmac place) where you drive round cones in various scenarios. If you pass, you do the mod 2 out on the road.
    Do the A class as you can then ride whichever bike you wish.

wattsymtb
    Free Member

There is also an A1 and A2 test which allow you to ride up to 33hp and 45hp bikes. These can be done when you are under 24. If you hold the A2 license for 2 years when you are under 24 you can do the direct access (so you could take the A2 at 18 and the big bike test at 20).

iamtheresurrection

You’ll need a CBT to get on a 125cc. You’ll need to pass an A2 test to get on a machine with 47hp, or an A test to get you on any machine.

You can only do the A licence if you are over 24, in either case you’ll still need a CBT first (one day course).

Both tests have two elements: off the road maneuvers (Mod 1) and then a road test (Mod 2). If you can ride a bike already, then a couple of hours to train for the Mod 1, and then a couple for the Mod 2 could do it.

If you’ve never ridden before then allow around 12 hours tuition to pass both elements. You’ll also need the theory test, even if you have entitlement for a car already.

Cougar

You’ll also need the theory test, even if you have entitlement for a car already.

Is that true? I didn’t realise that. Back when I passed mine (circa 2000 I think), I didn’t need to do the theory test as I already had a full car licence.

My OH has just got a scooter and is learning to ride. I was stunned at how many tests there are now and how much it all costs. £25 for the two theory tests, £90 for two practical tests. With the CBT you’re ~£250 down before you’ve even started thinking about lessons. Oof.

grunty
    Free Member

Theory is now a requirement no matter how long you’ve had a car or other licence for!
    There is talk of them adding the theory test to the CBT.

I passed my full M/C licence last year. I had to do it over a two week period so that you have 3 days between mod 1 and mod 2 as you are required to have 3 days to ‘undertake further mod 1 training’ should you fail your mod 1 test.

My process for Direct Access was.

Theory
    Mon Week 1: CBT on a 650cc – instructor said no point learning another bike on day two.
    Tue Week 1: Mod 1 training
    wed Week 1: Morning – Mod 1 Test , Afternoon – mod 2 training
    Thur Week 2: Full day mod 2 training
    Fri Week 2: Morning – Mod 2 trainin, lunch time test, afternoon, home early to go ride my new motorbike! :o)

roper
    Free Member

Good grief! Not quite what I expected.
    Thanks for the help though.

mike_p
    Free Member

I did direct access last year, having been riding a 50cc moped on a car license for many years, and with 7mths riding a 125cc having done CBT. I had the choice of a 3 or 4 day course with the tests on the last day, and rather arrogantly (as it turned out) went for the 3 on the grounds that I’d been riding for years and it would be easy. This was a mistake! I scraped through the test but it was a close run thing, mainly because I “failed to demonstrate required behaviours…” etc. Years of accumulated bad habits take a while to unlearn!

What I would recommend:

– Do CBT, regardless of whether you can already ride a 50cc on your car license – you will learn things that may save your life. This lasts 2yrs and gives you time to buy and get used to riding a 125cc geared bike (on L-plates).
    – Then do the theory test any time you like, if you already drive then it’s dead easy and a pass lasts for 2yrs.
    – After passing the theory, do a 4 day direct access course (3 days riding, 1 day for the tests).
    – Then ditch the L-plates, sell your 125 and buy a big bike!

grunty
    Free Member

It seems like a lot to do, but it’s not really. The instructor will guide you through to pass. Try and find one who will guarantee a pass (by providing additional training for free), you won’t regret it.

4mths into riding an I bought this beast!

grunty
    Free Member
    mashiehood
    Free Member

or…. do what I did and buy an Piaggio MP3500 – its classified as a trike and you don’t need to do anything as it can be ridden on a car license. I have been commuting for 5 months and love it.

grunty
    Free Member

those piaggios do look good! You have the added bonus with the extra traaction in the wet / winter. They will still do 90+ so I’m told

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I did a DAS in Novemeber last year, was £540 all in from never having ridden anything with an engine to having a full unrestricted licence.

I did it over 4 days. day 1 CBT and Mod 1 training, day 2 mod 1 test am, mod 2 training pm, day 3 mod 2 further training. day 4 mod 2 test am.

In addition to that you’d have to pass a theory test even if you have full car licence.

Of course once you have your licence, then you really start learning….

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah it’s tough to do, the school I did it with does it in 2 week blocks – 8 of us started on the Monday (after we’d all passed our extended theory and hazard awareness) 2 were advised at the end of week one to come back in a week and start again, only half of us passed MOD1 – I failed it by locking the rear on the emergency stop in rain so hard it was bouncing, but luckily passed it again 3 days later so was able to take my MOD2 on the Friday as planned – in total 5 of us passed on the second Friday – I think the course was £600 plus test fees, I needed an extra days bike hire to passed my Mod1 resit and the extra fee pushed the bill up to near £800.

The guys who had to repeat week 1 or failed MOD2 must have had a nightmare because they all had jobs and lessons were half-day things, not a sneaky 40 min after-work things.

crossland
    Free Member

I, m a retread, having passed the original two part test in the mid eighties, and so glad I did as the current system seems very complicated, first bike was an er6f, fabulous little thing, proper bike, but not scary, now riding an mt09 tracer, which is a properly quick suv of motorcycling, and I love it

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘UK motorbike licence question.’ is closed to new replies.