Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)
  • UK in the EU. Japan warning!
  • athgray
    Free Member

Japan has warned that investment and tens of thousands of UK jobs may be at risk mainly in the car manufacturing sector if the UK comes out of the EU.

headfirst
    Free Member

This is hardly new news. Every multinational wants us to stay in the EU

mrmo
    Free Member

This is hardly new news. Every multinational wants us to stay in the EU

not news, but something for the anti EU mob to consider seriously. Plenty of places in Eastern Europe who would be more than happy to get the jobs.

aP
    Free Member

Yes, surely it’s only swivelled eyed loons who are the ones who want out of Europe. Then it’ll really be a race to the bottom.

compositepro
    Free Member

**** em the UK made cars before ,they aren’t doing that bad now

Japan can find their own way into european markets im sure ,maybe the french will help them out with some car factories

5thElefant
    Free Member

If one thing could persuade me that leaving the eu would be a bad idea it’s the thought of British cars. 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Best that Britain concedes to the economic threats of a foreign power over its issues of national sovereign then.

the anti EU mob

So if you are opposed to continued membership of the EU you are part of a “mob” ?

How does that work ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

What the UK car market is thriving ?
    We make cars for folk who export the profits
    We dont have any of any real size compared to France Italy or Germany

Japan can find their own way into european markets im sure

and it wont involve us hence jobs will be lost

maybe the french will help them out with some car factories

Perhaps

So if you are opposed to continued membership of the EU you are part of a “mob” ?

How does that work ?
    I think the point was that the media is anti EU and you rarely hear anything positive as the media skews the amount of air time and distorts this debate. For example the UKIP coverage v polling and MP levels

We rarely hear a positive EU story

retro83
    Free Member

and it wont involve us hence jobs will be lost

Jobs already are being lost, e.g. 1,000 at the the transit plant which Ford moved to Turkey. The EU even loaned them cash to do so even though they are not members.

compositepro
    Free Member

What’s left of it Aston Jag

notmyrealname
    Free Member

We rarely hear a positive EU story

Has their been any positive EU stories worth telling?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Absolutely spot on. But you forget that it’s the millions of foreign investment means we ‘aren’t doing that bad now’

That investment will cease if we leave the EU

mrmo
    Free Member

What’s left of it Aston Jag

are you suggesting these are UK car companies?

You do know that Jaguar Land Rover are part of Tata?

As an aside you do know that Tetley tea and what was Corus formerly British Steel are as well?

as are the pro EU folks as well, i was using mob to mean group not anything else.

CaptJon
    Free Member

At least Gordon Brown came up with a series of tests when there was a debate about the Euro. Osborne and Cameron are too gutless to do that.

mrmo
    Free Member

Has their been any positive EU stories worth telling?

you do know who paid for much of the MTB network in south wales don’t you?

epicyclo

It’s ok, they can move their factories to Scotland. 🙂

ninfan
    Free Member

may be at risk

thats unequivocal, isn’t it!

It’s ok, they can move their factories to Scotland.

Good luck reaching your customers with all road and rail links through England, and only a coastal defence force of a navy 😆

compositepro
    Free Member

Yes I know Tata own JLR what I’m saying is thanks for the investment

Didn’t know it was Indian tea tho

I know Aston are not British anymore but also up infill my most recent uk manufacturing venture worked in one of those EU funded advanced manufacturing thingimajigs

There’s very little EU money available anymore so these so called catapult centres have to team up with SMEs to get their hands on a cent or rely on big co funding it’s ducked from the start unless you go it alone

binners

Maybe they’ll move production north to an independent Scotland? 😉

aracer
    Free Member

you do know who paid for much of the MTB network in south wales don’t you?

I imagine it was us – we probably also paid for some in Portugal and Greece.

not news, but something for the anti EU mob to consider seriously.

The pro EU mob should probably consider whether it is a serious threat or just bluster, given the trading conditions with the eurozone are unlikely to be significantly different if we leave.

athgray
    Free Member

[/url]

10 things the EU has done for you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

given the trading conditions with the eurozone are unlikely to be significantly different if we leave.

It is strange that you think that you can leave and the EU will let you carry on trading but not do any of the harmonising or paying- do you not think they may be pissed off with you and bigger?

This is not what happens for the European economic Area who

They adopt almost all EU legislation related to the single market, except laws on agriculture and fisheries.

Basically the UK wants the free trade parts and non of the responsibilities but i cannot see a set of circumstances where the EU will agree to this
    Sure they will let you trade but who knows what the price will be or what will happen in the horse trading but little change would not be what I would expect and i doubt international investors will feel like chancing their arm

aracer
    Free Member

Basically the UK wants the free trade parts and non of the responsibilities but i cannot see a set of circumstances where the EU will agree to this

Because they’d cut off their nose to spite their face?

i doubt international investors will feel like chancing their arm

Hence the bluster.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Interesting that you would appear to believe that this is a majority opinion – and we haven’t even had a referendum yet !

Oh what little faith the pro-EU “mob” has – they’ve already thrown in the towel 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

Main detail is we would have to follow the rules but have no input.

Switzerland, Norway, yes they aren’t in the EU, but they’re not exempt from all the regulations.

Maybe the problem in the UK isn’t the EU anyway, rather the fact that it is massively over centralised. Why is it that most of Europe has powers devolved to the regions, except the UK?

JCL
    Free Member

Maybe Japan should be more concerned by the ongoing disaster at Fukushima than it’s car industry.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think they would argue this is what you are doing and you would have to renegotiate to join their club. they hold more of the cards than you do

I doubt they will say yes take your 12 billions euros from us but still have all the advantages of still being a member of our club.
    Can you really see that happening?

Oh what little faith the pro-EU “mob” has – they’ve already thrown in the towel

😀

I would be very surprised if the vote was to stay

aracer
    Free Member

Switzerland, Norway, yes they aren’t in the EU, but they’re not exempt from all the regulations.

The rules relating to the single market, yes. Not all the other rules – most of the stupid stuff isn’t actually anything to do with the single market (I challenge the pro EU mob to give me an example of something stupid which Norway and Switzerland have to abide by 😉 ). Nor do they have to contribute the huge sums we do.

compositepro
    Free Member

Maybe Japan should be more concerned by the ongoing disaster at Fukushima than it’s car industry.

Wasn’t going to mention that but i wonder if we stopped aid/help now and in the future for something that isn’t really our problem (morality set aside)

pointing out that money would be better invested in our own workforce or industry

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nor do they get get a real say in the rules [ beyond consultation] so they would be even less representative of the people here as we would have no MEPs, or voice within the EU
    I dont think that is what the yes camp are campaigning for is it – same level of interference in our markets and we have less say 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/specials/cohesion_fund/Swiss_commitment_to_EU_could_face_new_test.html?cid=19680604

The swiss do pay something, maybe not as much as the UK, but then the UK has more say in what goes on.

mightymule
    Free Member

Very true. I have just got rid of a British car.

It was brilliant – except for the minor detail that I think the engine may have been made of cheese, as it disintegrated on a regular basis.

A classic example, in fact, of British cars. Sadly.

compositepro
    Free Member

Very true. I have just got rid of a British car.

It was brilliant – except for the minor detail that I think the engine may have been made of cheese, as it disintegrated on a regular basis.

A classic example, in fact, of British cars. Sadly.

was it an MGF

Never seen a jap engine go bang ?

chewkw
    Free Member

I vote out. It’s not as if UK will become a beggar overnight but if it does then we will all be in the same boat so I do not see any problem with that.

With 58 million population in such a tiny island it is too good an opportunity not to invest here.

As for Japland etc they can go if they want but I bet the Korean, Chinese and Indian etc will replace them big time in order to use the British knowledge to compete with others. JapLand is only strong in the car industry and I give them that … I like Japanese cars but I only prefer Toyota.

EU … hmmm … The Chinese will buy them too. 😆

epicyclo

ninfan – Member
    “It’s ok, they can move their factories to Scotland.”
    Good luck reaching your customers with all road and rail links through England, and only a coastal defence force of a navy

Why would we need to send stuff through England? If non-EU England made difficulties over being used as a transport corridor, there are ports in Scotland – direct to the main market.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s obvious we’ll stay in Europe, I don’t know why we waste so much time and effort debating it. We couldn’t survive outside, we ain’t got the political or financial muscle and the nett benefit to the UK from being in Europe is significant. What we’re seeing is political posturing so we can get more leverage within Europe. We’re exploiting the fact Europe wants us to remain within it, and right now, they need us. I work for a large uk manufacturing company (one of the few remaining) and we rely on investment from the EU. I’m not necessarily pro or anti Europe, I just look at it logically, and when you do that you soon see there is no decision or alternative. We’re in too deep already. But said that, Europe needs to get its house in order.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s not that obvious. If we do get an in out referendum we’ll be leaving.

athgray
    Free Member

It is the Euro sceptics that are preventing the UK from having greater influence in the EU. It sometimes feels that Europe is trying to sort out the rules of a new game whilst we stand at the side kicking the dust in a huff. We should be operating at the top table with Germany and France but it seems Francophobia is holding us back.

The EU has allowed us to travel and trade easily within a series of countries with no dictatorships with seriously questionable human rights records, or the death penalty.

An EU common approach to ensure commercial fishing will still be possible. Protected status for many UK foods making sure products from else where don’t get passed off as the real deal

compositepro
    Free Member

It’s obvious we’ll stay in Europe, I don’t know why we waste so much time and effort debating it. We couldn’t survive outside, we ain’t got the political or financial muscle and the nett benefit to the UK from being in Europe is significant. What we’re seeing is political posturing so we can get more leverage within Europe. We’re exploiting the fact Europe wants us to remain within it, and right now, they need us. I work for a large uk manufacturing company (one of the few remaining) and we rely on investment from the EU. I’m not necessarily pro or anti Europe, I just look at it logically, and when you do that you soon see there is no decision or alternative. We’re in too deep already. But said that, Europe needs to get its house in order.

Wasn’t this pretty much what they said in the land of sheep (NEW ZEALAND) when they told farmers no more subsidies, oh they cries of we will never survive ,when the EU pull your funding for your large UK manufacturing company what will you do …collapse? or find a way to realign it and survive\

I will hazard a guess big old companies die (rolls royce excluded) because like the dinosaurs did because smaller dynamic companies who aren’t reliant on cash handouts or government backahanders can adapt

I hear Detroit is not on its knees anymore despite it being dead for years whilst they figured out what to do

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

a series of countries with no dictatorships

Except when the EU insisted that the elected legislators in Greece and Italy be replaced by EU nominated unelected bankers who dictated government policies.

Of course it was only because there was a “crises” occurring and the people couldn’t be trusted to vote correctly. An EU created crises.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘UK in the EU. Japan warning!’ is closed to new replies.