Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • UK forest sell-off could ‘massively affect’ MTB
  • asmythe76
    Free Member

Don’t know if anyone has heard anymore about this but its slightly concerning. Found it on a photography site.

A massive sale of half of the UK’s government-owned woodland could drastically affect the way that nature and landscape photography are practiced in this country if rumours leaked at the weekend are true, according to landscape photographer David Clapp.
    On Saturday it was reported that Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman will soon announce plans to sell around half of the 1.85 million acres of woodland overseen by the Forestry Commission to private companies. It is understood these sales would be complete by 2020.
    ‘At the moment we’re in wait and see mode,’ Stuart Burgess, spokesperson for the Forestry Commission, told PhotoRadar. ‘As ever with these things we’re dealing with leaks and speculation. However we were told to expect an announcement on the government’s new woodland strategy this autumn, and as you can see out your window the leaves are starting to turn.’
    Such a decision could potentially pave the way for historic sites to face logging operations or be developed into golf courses and resorts unless tight restrictions are attached to the sales, Clapp said.

chiefP
    Free Member

Yeah its been out for a while but just a note it DOES NOT affect Wales its only the English Forestry commission which works under a different body to that of Wales.

ampthill

I hope it doesn’t happen. The woods make money for the goverment. Its all part of the smash the state fire sale attidude of ther goverment. Forestry makes money on a long time scale which is good for goverment but works less well for private companies. But as a cyclsit I wouldn’t panic. If the money for trails is still their the private companies will take it.

devs
    Free Member

This was raised, opposed and dropped in Scotland last year. We had MPs on the case and petition sites and the whole shebang. I would imagine you have similar too.

druidh
    Free Member

Sale of Forests in Scotland was never proposed – some thought was being given to leasing out the land.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As Druidh says. this proposal is for England only anyway

Suggsey
    Free Member

Still pants in my opinion, I would hate to see some of the more ancient forsets trashed for money. I know that woodland needs management but the destruction of alot of the ancient trees (it appears that whenever you go into English forests that there are fewer and fewer oak etc etc and just a collection of softwood fast growing needle dropping generic trees.

trailmonkey

a tory govt selling off the family silver to benefit a wealthy minority ❓

it would be unprecedented, they’d never get away with it.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

a tory govt selling off the family silver to benefit a wealthy minority

a bit like the labour one flogging off the gold at a historic low point in it’s value 🙄

I would hate to see some of the more ancient forsets trashed for money. I know that woodland needs management but the destruction of alot of the ancient trees (it appears that whenever you go into English forests that there are fewer and fewer oak etc etc and just a collection of softwood fast growing needle dropping generic trees.

That’ll be the management of the current FC chopping down the tree’s that are dissappearing then?

Actually it’s probably more due to the court case where a tree branch from an old tree fell suddenly and killed someone IIRC the landowner was found negligent for not regularly inspecting his trees and cutting down unsafe ones.

Forestry makes money on a long time scale which is good for goverment but works less well for private companies.

Which is why Tillhill developed the Llandegla trail centre as an extra income stream.

of course it’s better to wring your hands and declare “we’re doomed”at the first sign of change. I mean where are they going to get the wood for Thatchers coffin that you are all so keen to dance on?

jd-boy
    Free Member

Forestry probably dont own as much of the land they farm, they lease it already, Elveden estates in Thetford own a big chunk of the forest, so if they do sell it off they will more than likely lease it back for the growing of timber, my thoughts anyway

lifepath1
    Free Member

hi as a forester, a huge chunk of my life has been involved with woodlands and conservation, huge topic for us too but i wouldnt worry to much. sherwood pines is in the spot light but if you have 3 million pounds and some forestry experience to make a change?, what happens to the access, tennent farms etc, conservation, i cant see it selling any time soon

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

the landowner was found negligent for not regularly inspecting his trees and cutting down unsafe

that is sad but utterly insane

grahamh
    Free Member

Just continuing what was started in the 80’s.
    British Gas, BT, Giro Bank, British Rail, etc, etc, etc…
    Soon the entire UK will be foreign owned.

Moses

a bit like the labour one flogging off the gold at a historic low point in it’s value

or selling off North Sea oil at $11/ barrel instead of current prices?
    No difference, really.

trailmonkey

a bit like the labour one flogging off the gold at a historic low point in it’s value

that wasn’t a labour govt. they were just tories with red rosettes.

kimbers

or selling off North Sea oil at $11/ barrel instead of current prices?
    No difference, really.

not really both are commodities – thats what you do sell em
    (the gold thing was way overhyped anyway)

british rail, british gas, the forests, the post office… the NHS are essential services

backhander
    Free Member

that wasn’t a labour govt. they were just tories with red rosettes.

Never labours fault is it?

(the gold thing was way overhyped anyway)

No it wasn’t, it was underhyped if anything. Gold was sold for £2.2Bn. Now worth £8.8Bn. Is £6.6Bn “over-rated”?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

british rail, british gas, the forests, the post office… the NHS are essential services

!

I had n’t realised that forests were comparable to the NHS 🙄

trailmonkey

Gold was sold for £2.2Bn. Now worth £8.8Bn. Is £6.6Bn “over-rated”?

I may be an armchair economist and that but it’s not likely that you’re going to sell anything off that will decreasein value is it ?

Just out of interest if you apply the same formula of sell off price against current value, how much have the tory sell offs cost us over the years ?

millcar
    Free Member

Its a shame to make this a political point on this forum. I agree it has political point potential but the issue is selling this land is likely to affect all forest users massively.

The fact this might be sometime in the future is irrelevant. We need to speak with one voice as users of this land to try and prevent this.

kimbers

oh i forgot the global economic crash would never have happened if only gordo had not sold the gold!

and he had a dodgy eye, burn him

druidh
    Free Member

millcar – Member
    Its a shame to make this a political point on this forum. I agree it has political point potential but the issue is selling this land is likely to affect all forest users massively.

The fact this might be sometime in the future is irrelevant. We need to speak with one voice as users of this land to try and prevent this.

What makes you think all “users of this land” agree with you?

millcar
    Free Member

What makes you think all “users of this land” agree with you? [quote]

A fair point and the debate should include all points of view. I’m not sure the debate has been had however and it seems the sale is a forgone conclusion based on the information relaesed so far.

IMHO its unlikely to maintain the quality woodlands we see and use but I’d concede there are going to be notable exceptions where sufficient gain can be made by the new owner based on current usage. I’m not sure the FC do the best possible job in all areas though as a whole they do the best job possible. I wonder if there are options which can be considered which do not require the sale of great swathes of forest?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Its a shame to make this a political point on this forum.

So do I, but it’s inevitable really. 🙁

Still, at least there will be loads more raves now the Tories are back in.

backhander
    Free Member

Gordo was the political version of the person with a 120% mortgage and 5 maxxed out credit cards who blames the global economy for the mess they’re in. I support no political party in particular but what they did was negligence IMO. I wouldn’t burn him, but he’d be in the tower.

Coyote
    Free Member

Good analogy backhander. Although I think that Gordo may have had good intentions he was indeed negligent. Unlike this shower who are interested in themselves only.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘UK forest sell-off could ‘massively affect’ MTB’ is closed to new replies.