• This topic has 121 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • UK Bike Skills – a lesson with Jedi
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Flow if Jedi wrote a book about riding would this makes him a professional author a professional cyclist?
    I dont understand why you dont understand what a pro is. You mention only pro racers and only DH at that. It seems a little narrow – I am being polite it is just incorrect.
    I would explain to you about the best pedagogy to teach kinaesthetic skills [ its not reading a book]but in you case i fear it would be a wate of my time.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Love the assumption here that you can only coach others if you’ve performed at the top level. It couldn’t be further from the truth. Coaching isn’t about what the trainer can do, it’s only about what they can get you to do.

Looking forward to finding out in a couple of weeks! 8)

walleater

Lopes has always come across as a bit of an arrogant tit. It appears that one can learn the same trait by reading his book.

zi99y
    Free Member

I think Tony is very effective in the way he coaches. I had a day with him earlier this year. It was with a mate of mine who had only been mountain biking a few months. My own technique and confidence improved a lot, but what was impressive was how well he had my mate riding in a couple of hours. There is no way you would improve that fast from reading a book. It costs a bit of money, but I think it’s well worth it for the extra enjoyment you’ll get out of your biking.

Bagstard
    Free Member

UK Biks kills is the complete package – fantastic coach, perfect venue.
    I have the Lopes book at home, but never really got much out of it,now with my new jedi improved mindset I think the book may be more useful.

A month after my coaching day and I’m definitely a better rider, just need to practice with the tools I’ve been given. Can’t wait to go back to Herts!

Given the choice of Tony or any ‘pro rider’ to teach me, I would have to go with the pro coach. Personally I don’t find arrogance very inspirational, enthusiasm on the other hand is.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Flow – are you allowed out at weekends?

TheFlyingOx

Why would he want to go out, other than to the library? Weekends are the perfect time for sessioning “Mastering Mountain Bike Skills” by Brian Lopes.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

It’s a good book to ride the sofa with

nickf
    Free Member

I went along with my wife and kids. We all ride, to varying levels, but none of us were any good at jumping. A decent session with Tony any we were all significantly improved, to the extent that Mrs F was clearing the tabletop by the end, something I didn’t expect to see. Better yet, we were all thoroughly enjoying it, despite the torrential rain.

Tony’s not a ‘pro’ in the sense that he has no coaching badges, isn’t a racer, and uses no complex theories to try to explain what he wants you to do. That said, he uses simple instructions, and after years of doing things wrong, and wondering why I was such a clumsy oaf, I can now approach and land jumps without problems. I’ve read magazine articles and books, but had never been able to translate that into ability on the trail.

Thoroughly recommended. And I’ll certainly be back there in the autumn.

flow
    Free Member

😆 sooooo easy

Bagstard
    Free Member

Nothing better to do?

nols
    Free Member

As one of Tony’s mates I know a bit more about what goes on behind the scenes, and we’ve had bike companies falling over themselves to give him stuff. He’s now coaching some higher level xc race people and some of his younger riders who he’s been coaching for years are now getting hooked up with pro-sponsorship contracts. None of which Tony would ever make a big deal about because he’s not that kind of bloke.

I might add that a big (and I mean really big) US bike company wanted to put Tony on a bike deal last year, and he turned them down as he didn’t think it was a good fit. Tony isn’t a pro in Flow’s terms because he doesn’t want to be.

flow
    Free Member

Yeah plenty.

Clocked up over 100 miles on the MTB last week, had a few fun sessions at the jump and pump track, got out on the road bike a few times, but then what would I know about riding a bike 😆

Edit: I’m not knocking Tony or UK Bike Skills, just winding these bunch of couch potato wannabe MTB’ers up.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

just winding these bunch of couch potato wannabe MTB’ers up

Forum rules:

Technically these people are known as Trolls but like all negative elements in society they learn the rules and are quite cunning in their ability to stay just within the letter of the law and yet still manage to cause irritation to other users.

We reserve the right to suspend the accounts or remove the posts of anyone we consider to be a predominantly negative contributor to the forum.

toys19
    Free Member

just winding these bunch of couch potato wannabe MTB’ers up.

It funny I cannot see any anger or wind up, just a bunch of people calmly telling you to go away. Anyway carry on and you’ll get sent away.

Woody
    Free Member

It funny I cannot see any anger or wind up, just a bunch of people calmly telling you to go away. Anyway carry on and you’ll get sent away.

Let’s hope so.

This thread has reminded me that I really must try and get some coaching.

imnotverygood

Yeah plenty.

Clocked up over 100 miles on the MTB last week, had a few fun sessions at the jump and pump track, got out on the road bike a few times, but then what would I know about riding a bike

Edit: I’m not knocking Tony or UK Bike Skills, just winding these bunch of couch potato wannabe MTB’ers up.

Wow, that must’ve made you feel really clever 🙄

Let us know when you reach adolescence. You might need help getting through it.

atlaz
    Free Member

I had coaching from jedi, I enjoyed it, I ride noticeably better now (friends have noticed the difference) and enjoy my riding more because of that. Money well spent.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Flow – Thanks…..that’s a compliment coming from you! 😀

CaptJon
    Free Member

post hoc ergo propter hoc innit

DezB
    Free Member

Try drinking out of a glass backwards CaptJon

flow
    Free Member

Damn, you lot have no sense of humor, or is it the way I write it?

DezB
    Free Member

Have you considered: you. just. ain’t. funny ❓

roddi18
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s the way you wright it ‘flow’, i think its the fact that you keep writing such stupid and wrong statments.

I have never had any coaching from Jedi but i have considered it and after reading all the praise for him in this thread it has made me more likely to do it in the future.

I consider myself a pretty decent rider already. I race dh, xc, gravity enduro and pretty much anything else that involves a stop watch and wheels and i generally do pretty well in these events.
    But there is nothing wrong with seeking help from someone with jedi’s knowledge and experience to improve even more.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you have never been on any coaching days and so your opinion on this subject is worthless so it’s for the good of all that you go and do some rad skids or general gnarly riding and read Mbuk, yes i imagine you are there target demographic, a proper douchebag

sharki
    Free Member

A discussion i had with Bullheart this weekend.

Some people fuelled by hype and media promotion think nothing on spaffing hundreds of pounds on a bike/product thinking it will make them a better, faster rider and when new five hundred pound 140mm forks don’t quite do it, they sell them for 250 and buy a new set with a further 10mm, maybe even a new frame, brakes, wheels..the list go’s on..

In this world, it’s thought easier to buy a material product that’s considered right to improve your ability in lifes adventures and in some cases that’s certainly true.

How many riders on bling bling sex wee machines, have been out ridden on trails, by someone on a shonky old HT?
    They have two options to change this IF they wish to..Buy a better bike/component…well that’s not worked? Or be a better rider and learn better technique, change bad habits. How you go about gaining that knowledge/ability is up to the person.

I take it the person who say’s they can learn it all from the internets, watches pron to improve his performance as a lover, as opposed to those who pay for great tuition from those who ARE great lovers.

Shameless plug.http://WWW.UKSEXSKILLS.co.uk 😉

toys19
    Free Member

How many riders on bling bling sex wee machines, have been out ridden on trails, by someone on a shonky old HT?

Me..

It was in morzine, my first time there, ok I was on my giant nrs with 1.95 tires and crap magura julies, but a pair of scottish blokes on early 90’s canti braked no suspension rockhoppers flew past getting massive loads of air and basically being rad.

But I’ve maximised my chances of it not happening again by having skills training and a sex wee bling machine..

flow
    Free Member

Yawn

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I think we should all accept now that Flow is a tool and is trolling! He clearly has no idea and probably rides like a 3 year old with stabilisers but he’s going to learn as he bought a book.

CaptJon
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Try drinking out of a glass backwards CaptJon

pmsl

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting from her account)

I disagree with MC about trolling.

Flow has been what the americans refer to as a douche, has been roundly (and politely) called out by the STW collective, and is now trying to play the “oh it was troll, look at my smiley face” defence.

Does the Lopes book teach you how to backpedal?

flow
    Free Member

I know, I will post some vids of me riding, and you lot post yours, then we will see who needs tuition.

Bearing in mind this is 2 years old, and I’m a hell of a lot better now after reading the book 😆

[video]http://vimeo.com/3426298[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

can we not just compare scars and then see who can wee the furthest?

flow
    Free Member

No obviously not, after calling me shit I would expect you to prove that you lot are better, which I would expect to be pretty easy if you have had tuition from a “pro”.

Junkyard
    Free Member

can you quote where I said that? I said you cannot learn kinesthietic skills as easily from a book as from doing – see you read that and yet you have forgotten it mmm interesting.

flow
    Free Member

I was talking to you lot as a collective. If you had read the post properly you would have seen that. No wonder you need tuition.

5lab

you could do with keeping your feet on the pedals more, and all that stuff at ukbp is pretty easy to ride

Woody
    Free Member

Can someone explain to me why flow has posted a video of Tinker Juarez?

Kryton57

I can’t believe how ignorant some people are – either that, or then trying to play it off as an wind up.

IMO, you are never too old or too experienced to learn something. I’ve been riding and riding well IMO for 10 years, yet jedi revolutionised my riding in four hours.

Not only during conversation did he humbly admit he himslef learns something new every day, he demo’d some of those skills on his ‘shore for me to see.

In my years, I’ve never met a “teacher” like Jedi – he lives for what he does, practises what he preaches and gives you a feeling of pure faith in his abilities – and then you get assimilated to do the same with a noticable difference ie:

Singletrack run no 1 = 19 seconds. Run no 2 (after 5 mins of advice and help) 14 seconds. Proofs in the pudding……

flow
    Free Member

I didn’t say it wasn’t easy to ride, its the only vid I have of me riding anything half decent.

Awaiting your vid 5lab

toys19
    Free Member

Flow have you got a logic deficiency? You came on here saying coaching was a waste of time, and now you are saying that we all need tuition, so which is it to be? I think most people on here who have been to coaching admit that they need coaching, that’s the point of the thread. No one has asked you to have coaching, indeed you don’t seem to want it so I don’t get your presence here..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘UK Bike Skills – a lesson with Jedi’ is closed to new replies.