Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • UK Bike park
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Just been watching some videos and really keen to get out there. In the faqs section of their site they say any bike is suitable and any slghty skilled rider should be able to ride it. But i’m not sure of that, anyone been there on a hardtail or short travel full susser? I’m on an Inbred with 150mm up front, will i kill myself? and will i constantly have dhers up my erse? I realise it depends alot on skill but although i haven’t been riding for long i feel pretty confident and will attempt pretty much anything, even if i have to take it slower than anyone else.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GVKBwJlVcD0
    this is what got me hooked!

andymac
    Free Member

Fine on a hardtail done it myself. The main run is quite groomed. There are some techy DH trails to the right of the park but again would be ok on a hardtail if a little slower than a FS.

Worth going on a uplift day as the push up is fairly horific unless you only session the top of the park.

chrishc777
    Free Member

That’s exactly what i wanted to hear! Which is the main trail? big grin?

scottfitz
    Free Member

I raced there last DH race on a HT, it was great fun. The race was on the Black trail Devils Dyke.

I second the uplift, fast and good value, I would take all the pads you have too lots of flint about.

chrishc777
    Free Member

The only pads i have are in my brake calipers! worth getting some for my limbs you reckon?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Only if you think you’ll crash. Do it on the singlespeed. DO IT! 😆

chrishc777
    Free Member

I should remind you it has those suntour xc-75 forks on, which have about 5mm of play between stanchions and lowers and ooze brown goo out the seals even after being taken apart, regreased and cleaned.. oh and of course v brakes and a completely wrecked headset..

scottfitz
    Free Member

worth getting some for my limbs you reckon?

if you fall off you will be please you have them. knee pads are a good start.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Given sundays performance, a whole body pad would be recommended!

brakes
    Free Member

how are you with steep stuff? there are some trails where you need to turn on steeps so your geometry will come into play. you can ride round all the big stunts and just ride the rooty trails – that’s what I normally do, even on a full susser.
    having said that I’ve not been for a couple of years…

scruff
    Free Member

How long are the runs- Time / distance /elevation ?

scottfitz
    Free Member

about 1:30 long, Drop about 100m, not sure on distance

scottfitz
    Free Member

http://binged.it/10puGZ4 its in this bowl

richmtb

about 1:30 long, Drop about 100m, not sure on distance

Not exactly Fort William then (never mind Whistler)

Spooky wood at Glentress is about a 100m drop

It does look like fun though

scottfitz
    Free Member

Not exactly Fort William then (never mind Whistler)

Spooky wood at Glentress is about a 100m drop
    Yep the mountain in scotland are a bit bigger than the hills in dorset 😉

nicksee
    Free Member

Uk Bike park is great for doing lots of runs in a day. The tracks are about 2mins long and are all rollable if your careful over some of the jumps.Uplift takes just over 5mins. There are two red tracks before ‘big grin’ after the bridge. The two black runs on the other side of the hill are very steep, rooty and have a tricky off-camber corners.
    All good fun and strongly recommend pads, all the bouncing in the army truck requires them 😆

I was there the other week for the transition demo day, had this go on a covert

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPLcaooamUM[/video]

Some nutter rode the Klunker down one of tracks!

scottfitz
    Free Member

Some nutter rode the Klunker down one of tracks!

i would have loved to have a go on that!

DT78
    Free Member

Went last year for the first time, all good fun, the stuff to the right was too steep for me about half way down I had to bail out and push back up to the 4x track, I just couldn’t make it round the switch backs.

The rest is good fun. Imagine they’ve built some more since I’ve been there

nicksee
    Free Member

Yeah the blacks are quite tough, can see why Steve Peat takes his SPS guys there for training days. First time i went there the hill was very damp and i spent most of time on my arse sliding down on the wet chalk 🙂

didn’t get on the Klunker myself scott, but it was in need of TLC after a run down the track, two flat tyres and a rider with very sore wrists!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s a funny old place. Years ago, they had a packed uplift most weekends, loads of tracks & a thriving race series.

They had to change the uplift route though to go through the park & spend nearly a year digging it, but part of the collateral damage was they lost all of the trails on one side of the hill.

They then spent months building the trail you see in the video – Big Grin. Which simply put, is gash.

That being said, I think the penny has finally dropped & they have started racing there again & started to re-establish some of the older tracks, so improvements are slowly occuring.

Being UKBP however, the wheels turn very slowly 😉

It’s a good place to go for a reasonably gentle introduction to DH. The uplift is good & doesn’t damage bikes & you can get a lot of runs in, although the tracks are all around 1.30 long, so not exactly big.

I_Ache
    Free Member

They have done quite a lot of work there since I went about 4 years ago. There wasn’t a bridge then and the trail got very steep and very twisty. Not good when its so wet you have to crawl up the hill using your bike as an anchor pushing the bars and pedals into the mud so you can pull yourself up. We had great fun tho and I want to go back again now.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Cheers guys, i’ll be doing that before the end of the summer then! Anything else fun (and maybe less severe down hampshire way?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Cheers guys, i’ll be doing that before the end of the summer then! Anything else fun (and maybe less severe down hampshire way?

Do you mean DH or DH with uplift?

No DH with uplift but yes to DH.
    Gravity Project http://www.pinkbike.com/video/257004/
    Stoughton DH http://www.pinkbike.com/video/275955/
    Rogate http://www.pinkbike.com/video/310936/
    QECP (Only on 1st & 2nd June)

chrishc777
    Free Member

Trail wise i meant, that stoughton looks spot on..

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘UK Bike park’ is closed to new replies.