Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • UK amateur road racing
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Do I sense it’s growing again?

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t know. Do you?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Why.?

oldgit
    Free Member

Why?….

Just thought it would be good all round.

Swalsey
    Free Member

I think it may be – popularity after the last olympics and with more media coverage. I’ve started road riding because it was a natural progression from XC and finding time and money to go to descent off-road trials (not just man made) is difficult.

Edric64
    Free Member

Well we had a field of 60 for the Somer Valley tour of the Mendips this morning which includes 4 hard climbs

porcaro
    Free Member

Cycling always seems to be popular when the Tour is on and for the other 49 weeks of the year not!

oldgit
    Free Member

Seen two open road races this month whilst out training, both on circuits that haven’t been used in many years

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Cycling always seems to be popular when the Tour is on and for the other 49 weeks of the year not!

A bit like Wimbledon then. Or maybe it’s just the weather. Come January a lot of folk will be in the gym. Or pub.

superfli
    Free Member

When times are hard, the bikes always in favour. Biking generally is on the up and with the TDF and olympics coming up, even more people take to the road on 2wheels.

stevemakin

my old club has more members than ever before, most of them are testers though IIRC

m1kea
    Free Member

This is not a big headed statement but I could probably have a decent ‘social pleasantries’ type cycling conversation with approx 200 cyclists I know in the Sussex and Surrey area and at a guess I’d say just 10% of them road race.

Whilst the increase in all aspects of cycling is generally a good thing, the popularity of sportives does have some negatives. Most of the people who do these are more than happy to cough up silly amounts of money to race ride the Queen’s highways but don’t seem to be the least bit interested in helping out at the grass roots club level.

Getting helpers and marshals for events is a real tricky job these days. – It’s classically one of the aspects of being part of club and helping out at all levels but I get a sense that a lot of people either have no desire or interest in doing all the behind the scenes work.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Well we had a field of 60 for the Somer Valley tour of the Mendips this morning which includes 4 hard climbs

I thought saw a lot of guys out racing today. How is the chap I saw laying facing down, motionless under a thermal blanket in Chewton Mendip?

Edric64
    Free Member

Not to bad he had a back injury .he hit a pothole and went over the bars .He was there a long time as we did a lap and he was still being tended to

Trekster

Definitely in Dumfries & Galloway with the first year of the new events series devised by Alan Denman of Scottish Cycling;
    http://www.southwestscotlandcyclingproject.com/page/page/7885620.htm

aP
    Free Member

I’m a member of a “racing club” and have pretty much been cold shouldered by the majority of the club – even though less than 10% actually race, and I do at least 12 cx races a year and Marshall 5 road races and commissaire as well.
    I’m quite pissed off with them TBH with the patronising attitude of the majority of the club because I don’t road race.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Not to bad he had a back injury

Phew hope it works out OK, I was worried it looked super serious. The ambulance arrived just as I passed going the other way. It takes ages for ambulances to arrive around here.

oldgit
    Free Member

It was the Bath Road Juniors on the Cublington circuit I saw today.

TBH just because the Tours on it won’t mean more races, you can’t just decide on the day. I noticed Scotish cycling and a Spanish outfit today, so I’m guessing something fairly major.

aP that’s a bit s***e. My little fledgling club only has twenty odd members, with five actively racing and two coming through. BTW the cross league looks healthy this year.

jameso

Can you enter an amateur race without being in the BCF?

aP
    Free Member

OG – I’m in 3peaks again, then will be mixing cross and commissairing this winter. Still need to get a ride in together…

crazy-legs

Yes but only Regional level events and you have to buy a Day Licence (£10) in addition to the entry fee. Also, you don’t get any points if you win or place so even if you win, you’ll still be 4th Cat when you come to take out a Racing Licence.

Day Licences are designed to allow newcomers to do one or two races without the expense of buying a licence but if/when you get into it, it’s well worth joining a club and becomng a member of British Cycling.
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership

Edric64
    Free Member

You can get a day license as far as I know

jameso

I’ve got no real interest in getting a race license, wouldn’t want to commit to it or anything but a few 4th cat races may be good for my fitness, I imagine trying to hold that kind of pace for 40 miles is very different to the riding i normally do. Oldgit, you’re Chilterns based right? Any suggestions for autumn races?

oldgit
    Free Member

OG – I’m in 3peaks again, then will be mixing cross and commissairing this winter. Still need to get a ride in together…

Not me, after getting crushed by that lorry last year two weeks before the event I couldn’t face the training again. I’m throwing myself at the cross though. The ride…might be doing something out of NW London soon.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

If it hasnt up until now it certainly will be doing so in the near future.

aP
    Free Member

OG – my training consists of riding the Maratona, cycling a Brompton from Canary Wharf to Richmond 3 nights a week and doing a 12hr mtb solo. Oh, and standing as far forwards in the start group as possible.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

aP – Member
    I’m a member of a “racing club” and have pretty much been cold shouldered by the majority of the club – even though less than 10% actually race, and I do at least 12 cx races a year and Marshall 5 road races and commissaire as well.
    I’m quite pissed off with them TBH with the patronising attitude of the majority of the club because I don’t road race.

time to change club

aP
    Free Member

Well, I think they’re aware of my thoughts. Not that they give a shit.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Not that they give a shit.

why stay? unless you have a long history as a member I’d bin them and go elsewhere

decent volunteers are like gold dust and your marshalling lets them race

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘UK amateur road racing’ is closed to new replies.