Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Ugly fatbike in paradise
  • epicyclo

Wanted to catch the last of the snow. Had to climb a wee bit.

Plenty snow, some of it deep, but the hilltops had less snow than the slopes.

Tracks were alternately crispy, slushy, muddy, or sheet ice, all within a few hundred metres.

Went a bit higher and plenty snow left. Much of it kneedeep.

Interesting old ruin

I suppose that’s my last snow ride until next winter. The snow was disappearing on the lower slopes quickly.

druidh
    Free Member

Is that Swindon?

epicyclo

It’s the Olympic Mountain Bike course. I just have to get it transported to Essex in time for 2012.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

interesting old ruin is the ruined castle gurich.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

i wish i lived near there….

Woody
    Free Member

Looks great and ‘interesting’ bar set-up!

brakes
    Free Member

what are the red stumpy bar-end things on your bars?

epicyclo

cullen-bay – Member
    i wish i lived near there….

…and just imagine if you had a proper bike… 🙂

Roblilly
    Free Member

Really nice photos, I’m stuck in smoggy China and love to see clear day shots like this!

MrNutt
    Free Member

I think that may be Slough, swindon is currently experiencing a 26 deg heatwave.

epicyclo

brakes – Member
    what are the red stumpy bar-end things on your bars?

They are bar-ends of a kids bike.

I fall off a lot when riding this bike on icy bits so the rhs one is there to protect the shifter window, and I added the lhs one when I realised it was useful for those times when I have to turn the bike upside down to work on it.

I intend to shorten them a little bit so they don’t stick up so much.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

love the mudguard! what is it?

(chain looks slack…)

ace scenery though. I’ve just spent 2 hours slogging and sliding through the mud…

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

ir_bandito – you and your filthy mudguard fetish!!

GW
    Free Member

love the clock! 😀

ir_bandito
    Free Member

hahaha!
    It’s not a fetish, its an addiction.

MrNutt
    Free Member

what’s it like to ride, I’d imagine it has the maneuverability of a large bale of hay?

epicyclo

ir_bandito – Member
    love the mudguard! what is it?…

Mudguard is the rear off a trials motorbike (eg 1970s TY250 Yamaha). The fat wheels kick up an incredible amount of spray and debris from the track – to the extent that I was having to use my brakes to keep the speed right down.

More detail on the mudguard than you really want to see, here

Much more nimble and handy than you’d expect. I don’t have any trouble whipping it around on singletrack. The fat tyres give much better grip than normal and it just steamrollers over most trail obstacles.

Yes, the chain is slack. After years on singlespeeds I forgot I had gears and the back wheel shifted when I was climbing in too high a gear.

pastcaring
    Free Member

why cable disc over hydros ?

i’m guessing sub 0 temperatures mess with hydros?

my xts didn’t like the cold to much…

devs
    Free Member

Drove to Dornoch and back from Moray today. There’s plenty of snow in places, some of it quite low down and it looked like it would freeze again tonight. You could squeeze a few more snowy rides in I reckon.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Where were you? I`ll have to get you to show me on a map next time you pass by.Looks a nice route.

I stopped on the way home to take a pic of the sunset behind those hills in the 2nd pic of yours.. never managed to get out in the daylight though, so i went out in the moonlight (just back at 11.35pm!) The snow is so hard to ride through south of Inverness. I pushed a lot then rode a bit.. only to get stopped in the track due to the pedals clipping the snow either side.It was so hard going.Glistening diamond-like snow blankets in the moonlight make up for the lack of rideable track so i`m not too fussed! The views through the trees are great too.You cant see through them as well in the daylight.Whole new ball game!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Ugly fatbike in paradise’ is closed to new replies.