Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • UFC 202: McGregor vs. Diaz 2
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Who was it that claimed his clus fighting style was more lethal than snake venom 😆 then had a meltdown, cant remember the name.

BoardinBob

Glupton (and his numerous aliases)

Pigface
    Free Member

Cheers Bob, has he reappeared?

jimjam
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djig-GRmS9I[/video]

Euro – Member

I want the Aldo rematch!!! Being irish, i should be behind McGregor but i think he’s a dick and Aldo is twice the fighter – just got headforked and McGregor got lucky. 99 times out of 100 Aldo wins that fight, pity they had the 1 in 100 fight first

So, pray tell Marty. Was Anthony Johnson lucky when he KO’d Glover in 13 seconds?

GrahamS

Ozzy Man version.

Warning: NSFW contains Swearing and Australians.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhKOz3OXVPQ[/video]

BillOddie

It’s important to remember that those Olympic TKD fighters would DESTROY everyone in the UFC. And they’re not even the best TKD fighters around, that’s the light/semi contact stuff. There’s a much more lethal variant of dance tkd. And then there’s the super hardcore Edinburgh variety where deaths in sparring are a regular occurrence, such is the lethality of their style.

Edric64
    Free Member

I really don`t get the appeal of watching this it looks like non paying members of the caravan club fighting

jimjam
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member

I really don`t get the appeal of watching this it looks like non paying members of the caravan club fighting

Fascinating. I hope you find a sport where the men are more visually appealing to your tastes.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

How anyone can not see the appeal in this…

…well..fair enough. Everyone is allowed to like what they do.

Edric64
    Free Member

Looks like thuggery on any high street when the clubs kick out

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Yup. Bang on. I hear they knock back 8 pints before stepping into the octagon.

anagallis_arvensis

I wasnt going to comment but seeing as others have started…..
    I got a free 6 months of bt sport app recently, they only seem to have rugby which is great, football which is shit and UFC which appears to be just beating people to a pulp. Not sure what ut says about thise that like watching that sort if thing but it cant be very positive imo.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I get the objection
    On one level I love seeing the skill level on the other i struggle with the sheer brutality of it all.
    YMMV

jimjam
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member

Obvious troll.

UFC which appears to be just beating people to a pulp

High level problem solving with dire physical consequences. The purest form of sporting competition. Most people struggle to comprehend it because they lack any of the physical or mental tools to enter that world .They only understand fighting and violence as an undesirable byproduct of negative emotions.

MMA is much safer than boxing but appears worse because smaller gloves cause more cuts and facial damage.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Not sure what ut says about thise that like watching that sort if thing but it cant be very positive imo.

It says I am a monster 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

Most people struggle to comprehend it because they lack any of the physical or mental tools to enter that world

So its only hard people like you who watch it?
    edited to add I’ll leave it there as its a UFC thread and I dont like UFC….who cares

jimjam
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis

I realise that’s your idea of a witty and personal riposte but I’ll oblige anyway. No, it’s not. But your comment was that it “appeared to be people beating one another to a pulp” and “Not sure what ut says about thise that like watching that sort if thing but it cant be very positive imo”.

Both of those things are about perception, which is subjective and varies from person to person. Feel free to make a thread if you want to discuss the relative merits of combat sports and/or their perception vs reality.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I am extremely non-hard, and watch it.

I do, obviously, get hard when watching it. Due to the homoerotic nature of two ripped shirtless men aggressively cuddling each other.

jimjam
    Free Member

ongohoohaa –

I do, obviously, get hard when watching it. Due to the homoerotic nature of two ripped shirtless men aggressively cuddling each other.

I’m glad you brought that up, me too. I love the grappling particularly, just the sight of two sweaty guys writhing around on the floor….. 😳

When I’m training I have to wear compression shorts several sizes too small just to suppress any conspicuous blood flow to…you know…parts.

ctk
    Free Member

Love it but I enjoy pretty much all sports.

Rugby can be pretty bloody brutal!

Pigface
    Free Member

In Bongos clip above why has the guy got to take the last kick to the head? He is done. That’s the bit of MMA I don’t like find it really unnecessary. In a fight I have seen Bisping was out before he even hits the ground but lying flat on his back his opponent still landed a shot on him.

If you get off on that then fine, that’s your choice.

To quote a ref who was criticized for stopping a boxing match to early, “we are in the fight business, not the killing business.

jimjam
    Free Member

Pigface – Member

In Bongos clip above why has the guy got to take the last kick to the head? He is done. That’s the bit of MMA I don’t like find it really unnecessary.

Two points. Firstly it’s muscle memory. Cerrone will have practiced that combination and he’s simply following through with what he has learned. Second, there’s no guarantee that he’s done. In fact I’m fairly certain he wouldn’t have been. Cerrone rarely has one punch ko power. It was the kick that finished it.

In a fight I have seen Bisping was out before he even hits the ground but lying flat on his back his opponent still landed a shot on him.

That’s unusual, but it’s the fighters prerogative to finish the fight, and it’s not over until the ref steps in. Henderson’s finish of Bisping was brutal and vindictive, and he attributed it to all the shit talk Bisping had done pre-fight. Henderson was a dick to throw that punch, but technically the ref was at fault for not stepping in quickly enough.

To quote a ref who was criticized for stopping a boxing match to early, “we are in the fight business, not the killing business.

And yet, boxing is the sport of cumulative brain damage, where the sole aim of the sport is to batter the opponents head, and where it’s virtually impossible to win without inflicting head trauma.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

In Bongos clip above why has the guy got to take the last kick to the head? He is done. That’s the bit of MMA I don’t like find it really unnecessary.

Thing is Rick Story wasn’t done. He was momentarily staggered, but would have recovered, so Donald Cerrone swarmed him with more punches. The fight was stopped and both men were standing for the decision. So wasn’t like the guy was murdered.

Also, you just don’t know when someone is properly done 😉

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JebJ6RduIBQ[/video]

I understand some people don’t like MMA, that’s fine. But it really has come a long way and as mentioned probably has lower long term injury risks than boxing, NFL, Rugby etc.

BoardinBob

Edric 64 – Member

😆

One of the sweetest combos I’ve ever seen by two athletes in peak condition being compared to two nobodies swinging haymakers at each other outside some ghastly Wetherspoons.

Yip. Totally comparable 🙄

anagallis_arvensis

I only watch rugby for the chance of seeing Gavin Henson getting his shorts ripped off!!

Pigface
    Free Member

Good answers but I am not convinced, the point about not being as damaged as boxers, let’s see what shape Nate Diaz is in in 30 years time. It is a young sport plenty of time for damage inflicted to become apparent.

The majority of the fighters are true athletes but where does someone like Broc Lesnwr figure. He is so obviously roided.

Cro Cop is pretty damaged as well.

jimjam
    Free Member

Pigface

Good answers but I am not convinced, the point about not being as damaged as boxers, let’s see what shape Nate Diaz is in in 30 years time. It is a young sport plenty of time for damage inflicted to become apparent.

Nate will be in bad shape in 30 years time. No doubt about it. How much of his mental decline will be down to his fights, and how much will be because of his countless rounds sparring with Andre Ward and Joe Schilling is anyone’s guess.

It’s a tough, dangerous sport and people do get hurt. People suffer serious injuries or die riding horses and racing cars, or bicycles for that matter. But there seems to be something more objectionable about letting two people who want fight, fight.

Boxing gloves and wraps are there to allow you to hit your opponent harder. Boxing is the pure art of punching, and most wins come about by way of punching to the head, as practiced through sparring.

MMA wraps can replicate a boxing wrap, or fighters can compete without wraps – just gloves, and they use 8 ounce gloves, not 16.

Not sure what the relevance of Brock is, or rather his roids. He was beaten soundly by Cain Velasquez.

Cro-Cop had god knows how many kick boxing bouts.

Pigface
    Free Member

Well Brock just won a title and I think just got done for juicing, could be wrong. Just wondered what the prevalence for doping/ steroids is.

If Diaz is getting pummelled in training to that extent then someone needs to save him from himself.

jimjam
    Free Member

Pigface
    Well Brock just won a title and I think just got done for juicing, could be wrong. Just wondered what the prevalence for doping/ steroids is.

Brock won a big fight, but not a title.

It sounds implausible but I believe the UFC now has the strictest anti-doping policy of any high level sports organisation in the world. They have 600 fighters under contract and there have been suspensions, but few for steroids. Most for pretty innocuous stuff or tainted supplements. Brock is probably the main one.

I don’t think steroids and damage is necessarily a straightforward discussion though, since it could easily be argued it’s safer to let fighters take something, for recovery from injuries at least.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘UFC 202: McGregor vs. Diaz 2’ is closed to new replies.