Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • UBER – any experiences – ideally Manchester
  • andyg1966

Need to do two short (1mile) journeys in Manchester to from the station in a few weekends time.

Uber fits the bill. Will i get ripped off?

1-shed
    Free Member

Walk? Free bus ? Where are your destinations?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Assuming it’s not at peak time (ie surge pricing) no you won’t be ripped off. Trouble is you’ll never know until you try and book what the price will be. If you can find an offer you may get a £10 free ride.

I last used Uber in Leeds in May and fares where half licenced taxis (no licenced taxis where available when I needed one)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In Australia not much cheaper than a taxi, wait longer if there is a rank. Depends why you need to get around

andyg1966

I’m collecting my son from University halls and he wants some help carrying stuff to the train.

Its an half hour walk which is fine empty handed (and not raining) one way but loaded up the other way will be harder.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Uber is more for quick short journeys where you jump in and jump out. The more quick short journeys the driver makes the more money they earn. You won’t be ripped off as you pay through the app – no need to exchange money or even conversation with the driver.

Ideal for mooching around san francisco as a tourist or a lift home from the pub. I’ve used Uber a lot in the USA, Vienna, Lisbon, London etc. Its fantastic because you don’t need to know where you are or where you are going – you set it in the app using gps and on a map – this is downloaded to the driver. You don’t need to negotiate payment, all done through app, and it shows you the driver approaching their car make and model and reg number.

Its not really appropriate for airport runs where you spend 10 minutes loading up massive suitcases. The driver will not like this, and if they spot you with massive suitcases might even drive on by without picking you up.

If the stuff you are carrying is in your hand and ill sit on your knee then use Uber. Otherwise you need a taxi.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’m in Manchester and have used them with no issues for airport runs and Chorlton to city centre runs.

If you use my code: andrewd4632ue you’ll get £10 free.

ebennett

Use it in Manchester and never felt ripped off by it – though never used it for such a short journey. If you know someone with an account get them to send you an invite, both of you will then get a £10 credit (least they were doing it a while back) so effectively a free ride if this is the only time you ever use it. You can also get a fare estimate based on pickup and drop-off location before you order, so if it’s too expensive you can use a minicab.

binners

Despite having no running water, indoor toilets or electricity we do actually have Hackney Carriages of the black variety stalking the streets of Manchester. We constantly marvel at them as they move without horses.

Just jump in one of those

andyg1966

Despite having no running water, indoor toilets or electricity we do actually have Hackney Carriages of the black variety stalking the streets of Manchester. We constantly marvel at them as they move without horses.

Just jump in one of those

😀 😀

dannybgoode

Not Manchester but would never use Uber again. They completely failed to find a major nightclub in Sheffield city centre despite 2 phones calls from me saying exactly where I was.

He made it to within 200 yards or so then ended up about a mile away before I cancelled the trip and got charged £4 for the privilege – OK I got that back but took effort.

I have since decided that given a) the infrequency with which I use taxis and b) the relatively short distances and costs involved in somewhere like Sheffield the annual saving I’d make by using Uber would be around £5-10 with a whole dose of additional hassle.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Now I know why most of our graduates find site working so awful

MrSmith
    Free Member

Its not really appropriate for airport runs where you spend 10 minutes loading up massive suitcases. The driver will not like this, and if they spot you with massive suitcases might even drive on by without picking you up.

If the stuff you are carrying is in your hand and ill sit on your knee then use Uber. Otherwise you need a taxi.

used uber for a few trips to gatwick from SE london with no issue. if you have boxes then book an uber XL
    i took some tall B&O speakers in an ordinary uber with no problems, driver even carried one to the door for me.

get somebody to refer you and you save £10

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

You won’t be ripped off, that much I can tell you.

Have used did a few times Birmingham and London. First one was great and good value. Second one nearly killed a Deliveroo rider at some traffic lights half way through our journey and our driver was generally a liability. Was good value though.

The deliveroo guy did swerve slightly, so there was mitigation. It was a bit like a modern form of natural selection, two underpaid workers with no rights on he same bit of road, and only one can live. In reality the box would have saved his life if we had impacted, but someone’s Yo Sushi would have been destroyed, but I digress..

jairaj

I’ve only had good experiences with it, but as Uber don’t really train the drivers or recruit them. The drivers just sign up to join, it really just depends on the individual driver.

I use it in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire and the Uber prices are cheaper than a taxi. A late night journey from train station to home costs £10 in a taxi but only £6. Normally I walk but if its raining it’s hard to resist calling an uber driver.

You can get an estimate beforehand of the journey cost, this is just a rough guide to the price not the actual amount you will pay. There is also a GPS log of your journey and the cost is controlled by uber so the driver can’t rip you off.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

I downloaded the app on Android at the weekend and got a £20 voucher for my first use. Even with surge pricing the airport run we did was cheaper than standard cab…

TM

gonzy
    Free Member

OP – just a word of advice…oxford road has been undergoing some major redevelopment for the last few months and its nowhere near finished
    this means lane and road closures in places and all this will have a knock on effect if you’re stuck in traffic. depending on what day and time you’re travelling on you could be stuck in a traffic jam for some time.
    every evening at around 5pm theres a queue of gridlocked traffic the aquatics centre to portland street…might be cheaper and quicker to walk

windydave13
    Free Member

Use them in mancehster regularly. Work a treat and significantly cheaper than the black cabs. I live about 5miles from the centre. Uber is about £12 for that journey, i’ve paid £50+ in black cabs before for the same journey 😯

stcolin
    Free Member

Only had one nightmare journey with them. Made a complaint and got partly refunded. Driver took a much longer route than he could have basically. Didn’t seem to know the area at all. Just keep an eye on the fare multiplier at peak times.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘UBER – any experiences – ideally Manchester’ is closed to new replies.