Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • u-turn and dual air – what's the difference?
  • bowglie

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm not that familiar with Rockshox air forks – more experience with coil sprung forks.

I like the sound of the tuneability of the dual air system, but would also like the option to temporarily drop the fork for steep climbs.

Can anyone tell me if the Rockshox forks with u-turn also have the dual air system?

As far as i can wotk out from RS website etc., it does – and the only penalty is weight(?) If the u-turn forks do have dual air, I'm wondering if there is any sacrifice in performance/range of adjustment of the dual air or damping?

Can anyone advise please?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

uturn changes travel

dual air changes the spring rate

yes a fork can have dual air and also uturn

cullen-bay
    Free Member

how much travel are you after?

bowglie

I'm after 150mm travel, but need a fork with an axle-crown of 525mm – which I think restricts me to RS Revs or (gulp) DT Swiss exc150's. Why what are you thinking?

Rickos
    Free Member

Dual Air is the positive and negative chambers that RS forks use. When the forks are just called Dual Air then the travel is fixed (although you can use spacers to drop travel internally). U-Turn uses dual air, but also has the windy uppie down ability you want. U-Turn are a wee bit heavier just because of the U-Turn gubbins inside, but there's no difference in performance as far as I'm aware between the 2 types of forks.

bowglie

Ah, thanks. That explains it perfectly. Cheers

spooky_b329

Only downside with U turn is its a bit fiddly to drop the travel. You can do it whilst riding if the trail is smooth, but its not really 'on the fly' adjustment…you have to turn the adjuster too many times.

I only use mine when faced with a mammoth climb, its not like the Marzocchi's ETA where you flick the switch, compress the forks, and they stick down nice and short. But then the ETA caused the forks to stiffen up as well. Can't have everything unless you have oodles of cash – think the Fox Talas is best of both worlds if instant travel adjustment is important?

bowglie

Yea, must admit, I've mixed feelings about travel adjust on forks – because I've occasionally forgetten to re-extend t.a. forks after ascents – couple of very bum-winking descents on the rockier local trails 😯

I had some ETA 'zocchis a few years back and they were superb forks. I've also got a Pace/DT 'launch control' fork, which is fantastic because you can set it up to self release if you forget it's on (shame the fork isn't long enough for my new frame).

I've also found out that certain versions of the Rockshox are only available in certain colours and axle options – which might force my decision towards non-uturn.

Hmmm…anyway, ta for the feedback, I'm off to do a bit of head scratching.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Bowglie … if you can stretch to a 538 A-C (i.e. half an inch unsagged) I have a Z1 Light ETA I could be tempted to part with. Mail me if you are interested.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘u-turn and dual air – what's the difference?’ is closed to new replies.