Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • u tube jerky & keeps stopping!..on.wifes new ipad2??
  • giantx4
    Free Member

Yup….i skinted mesen buying this thing….as good as it is,whenever i get hands on it to watch bikey vids on utube,its really rubbish….full wifi etc…why is this???????;

akira

Might be your inability to type?
    Have you tried vimeo or pinkbike to see if the problem exists there as well?

DrP

Even google translate is stumped……

DrP

nealglover
    Free Member

What’s your actual wifi speed (rather than what they said it would be)

Have you down loaded a speed checker app ?

giantx4
    Free Member

Ha..yes my silly text speak…no,i will try other video sources & see…thanks

faz083
    Free Member

Does it work ok on a PC? Is that wired or wireless? sounds like an internal streaming issue to me

giantx4
    Free Member

Dont know speed of wifi,but i can watch utube perfectly on android htc legend?…(while squinting of course)

GrahamS

Yeah try the speedtest.net app and see what it says. Chances are your broadband isn’t up to it.
    Best way around it is to pause videos and let them load a bit before watching them.

i can watch utube perfectly on android htc legend?

Probably lower res videos. So they don’t need as fast a connection.

giantx4
    Free Member

Never use puter any more,just the tablet of i…

giantx4
    Free Member

Yes the stop start is the only way to watch it,but just spoils it…..i’ll have a check of wifi speed

giantx4
    Free Member

Ok download speed 1016 & upload speed is 410???…..what does this mean guys?

prettygreenparrot

units?

prettygreenparrot

you might want to try closer to the router that you’re logged in to. Sometimes even a plasterboard wall can make the difference between OK WiFi and poor WiFi.

giantx4
    Free Member

Now its download 392kbps upload 423 kbps…..im thinking its a rubbish wifi speed…..thinking of moving to bt broadband instead if this aol?

nealglover
    Free Member

Shockingly slow broadband then.

That’s your problem.

GrahamS

Ok download speed 1016 & upload speed is 410???…..what does this mean guys?

It means your Internet connection is utter pants.
    You’re probably on an “up to 8Mbps” ADSL line but you’re really getting around 1Mbps. (and sometimes not even 0.5Mbps).

onandon
    Free Member

Sounds like you may have loads of apps open.
    Double click the round button to see whats open. Close anything that’s not being used and it will stream loads faster.
    Also empty the history in settings – safari.

giantx4
    Free Member

Splendid advice…i will do when mrs gets off fb!

giantx4
    Free Member

Splendid advice…i will do when mrs gets off fb!…tried the hstory & app shutdown…no better…i think the poor wifi is to blame,but wierd utube is ok on my android phone?

GrahamS

Double click the round button to see whats open.

That doesn’t actually show you what is “open”. Most apps listed there will be “sleeping” and will not be consuming any memory, CPU or bandwidth.

That’s not to say it’s not a good idea to do every now and then. But I doubt it’s going to help the OP much as his broadband is basically not very broad!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

close everything and do the BBC iplayer speed check it what it says (has handy guide to the numbers) changing provider doesn’t always improve speed also it’s more about where you live

giantx4
    Free Member

Many thanks as always guys!….singletrack forums are the best,with the best people!..laters…

nealglover
    Free Member

Double click the round button to see whats open. Close anything that’s not being used and it will stream loads faster.
    Also empty the history in settings – safari.

Won’t make any difference I’m afraid

http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html%5D

CountZero

That speirs page is a 404. Having lots of apps open, even if they’re not running as such, can really suck up memory, even on an iPad. I have a memory manager app that I first got for my iPhone 3, and it’s very useful for clearing things, when trying to c’n’p won’t work because there’s a dozen or so apps lurking, especially if they’re using GPS, like mapping apps. A slow broadband doesn’t help, I can’t stream YouTube videos properly unless I let the video buffer until over 50%. Vimeo runs perfectly, though, right from the start, I guess because their codec is better designed.

CountZero

Just ran FreeMemory; it said I had 24.75 Mb free, cleared it out to around 440Mb. I had a load of apps still open.
    Get DiskSpace and System+ on the pad, very useful for monitoring what’s going on.

Cougar

iOS and Android should both use memory dynamically, reclaiming as necessary. 440Mb free isn’t any better than 24Mb free, it just means there’s more you’re not utilising effectively.

The exception to this is an errant app or background services (eg, running a music player will actively tie up memory).

If memory manager apps work, that’s not a shortcoming of the OS, it’s a failing of the apps you’re running; they’re broken.

GrahamS

Not sure why that Speirs link doesn’t work, looks right to me:
    http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

If that doesn’t work just google “speirs misconceptions ios”.

Just ran FreeMemory; it said I had 24.75 Mb free, cleared it out to around 440Mb.

That just means loads of apps were in memory, but Suspended (not running).
    If the memory was needed by an Active app then the Suspended apps would have been ditched automatically by the OS.

As Cougar says, having lots of memory free is not necessarily a good thing, having memory available is.

As Steve said:

Q: How do you close applications when multitasking?
    A: (Scott Forstall) You don’t have to. The user just uses things and doesn’t ever have to worry about it.
    A: (Steve Jobs) It’s like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager… they blew it. Users shouldn’t ever have to think about it.

robertgray05
    Free Member

Agree that the OP’s issue is most likely rubbish broadband speed (note that’s different from rubbish WiFi signal). You can sit as close to the router as you like to improve WiFi strength, but if the line going into the router is too slow you’ll get no benefit.

If you’re getting less than 2Mbps I’d definitely look elsewhere for a broadband provider. For reference, my city-centre flat got 0.2-0.8Mbps on Sky and now gets 20Mbps with Talk Talk. That’s fast enough to do anything instantly.

There are complicated reasons for this (Talk Talk are LLU on my exchange, Sky weren’t) but you could do worse than checking samknows to see what your options are.

trail_rat
    Free Member

wow your internet is terrible

i live in the country and can “only” get 2mb – but because im one of only 8 houses on the line i get near my full 2mb and stream media no sweat off itunes straight away

when i lived in the city i was on 8mb and couldnt stream SHIT and was getting about 500kbps constant complaints but it never got any better

my buddys bought apple TV and got really frustrated at having to wait to watch movies – he lives in town also.

its absolutely nothing to do with the ipad imo – i had nearly every app sitting “open” in the app bar till last night when i was looking to kill a specific app – decided it was easier just to switch on and off than to kill them all individual – but i had no noticable drop in performance with them open

MrSmith
    Free Member

but you could do worse than checking samknows to see what your options are.

Sam knows jack shite, doesn’t list BT21cn and says Zen is not available for my exchange when i have been on both for years.

robertgray05
    Free Member

MrSmith – fair enough.

It might not be complete, but I’ve never known it to be wrong. As a starter for getting above 0.5Mbps, the OP could still have a look!

Gary_M
    Free Member

but wierd utube is ok on my android phone?

Is your htc connected to your wifi or is it on 3g.

Sounds like an issue with your connection rather than the iPad

giantx4
    Free Member

Gary,yes,phone is using wifi while at home..as well as ipad…our netgear router is probably 6/7 years old….if that sheds any light on things?..

GrahamS

I think that is a red herring. The phone is probably requesting lower res versions of the video than the iPad. (i.e. when you go to YouTube on your PC you’ll see that most videos have multiple versions, selectable by pressing the little cog symbol).

Have you tried logging into your router and seeing what it says about your connection, particularly line noise / signal-to-noise ratio?

Have you got proper ADSL filters on ALL your telephone sockets?

Have you tried plugging the netgear directly into the BT Master Socket?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm has details on how to get your line stats and some of the things you can try to improve them.

giantx4
    Free Member

Ta,will try when can….riding tonight in the dust!…oh yeah!

plumber
    Free Member

I occasionally have youtube stutter on my ipad2

I can use the laptop in the same place without issue so I think its donwn to the pad itself

That said its not too bad and usually in the morning

Plum

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘u tube jerky & keeps stopping!..on.wifes new ipad2??’ is closed to new replies.