Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tyres, tyres, tyres, tyres bloomin' tyres.
  • bramleyborn
    Free Member

Pulling my hair out trying to decide what tyres I need. Any advice greatly appreciated. Going to go for Maxxis to concentrate the mind but I’ve read and re-read advice, reviews, websites…

I’ll be up and down in the Yorkshire Dales, singletrack and rocky cross country, probably wet. Could do with them lasting into the summer as well. Mix and match or same front and back.

High Roller?
    High RollerII
    ADvantage?
    Minion?
    Wet Scream?
    Medua?

Cheers

sambob
    Free Member

Advantage 2.25 are good in the Peak District, fairly fast and tough. Maybe Minion DHF and an Advantage at the back if you want a bit more front end grip.

soobalias
    Free Member

bike 1. Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 F&R
    bike 2. Bonty XR4 2.2(?) F&R
    bike 3. Nobby Nic 2.2 or maybe 2.1 / Maxxis Highroller 2.1
    bike 4. Conti 28c F&R

spares, 2xSwampthing, 1xBonty Mud, 2xBonty Big Earl wet, some others unknown
    they are all black and round and work fine.

If i were you i would go with ADvantages both ends in a 2.1 flavour.

lunge

2nd sambob, I like the Minion on the front, lots and good and still roles fast.

I’d be interested in the High Rollers II’s though, they look like a cross between a Minion and a HR.

rewski
    Free Member

Pulling my hair out trying to decide what tyres I need

Chill fella, it’s only rubber. May I recommend the Spesh Storm Control, 2Bliss ready (get it), and cheap enough just to use as an autumn winter tyre.

erny
    Free Member

Minion 2.35 on the front and an ignitor on the back on both bikes,ride peaks lakes and dales.

mttm
    Free Member

Advantage 2.25″ 60a front and rear, or swap in a 2.25″ 60a Crossmark on the back for a quicker feel.

soobalias
    Free Member

oh yeah, perhaps my advantages were 2.25

Northwind

First, eliminate wetscreams. Next, if you want to use them in summer and you don’t have to deal with miles of mud, ditch the Medusa too.

If in doubt, Highrollers or Minions, neither’s the best at anything IMO but they’re competent and can do a bit of everything.

swavis

Minion front, High Roller rear = win

bramleyborn
    Free Member

Right, before I change my mind. Minion DHF front and High Roller rear.

Thank everyone.

Now then, lights… shoes…

aracer
    Free Member

Round black ones – that’s what I’d recommend.Then again, now I think about it, some knobbles are also a good idea. Hope that narrows things down for you a bit – after all you wouldn’t want to get something unsuitable for riding off-road.

bramleyborn
    Free Member

Oh, right, round ones. Shape hadn’t occurred to me… jeez louise!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tyres, tyres, tyres, tyres bloomin' tyres.’ is closed to new replies.