Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tyres (sorry) – Maxxis dual compound 60a/70a
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve been running an Ardent on the hard tail rear as that bike gets more xc-ish duties and I find it rolls quicker for me compared to HR/HR2 I’d use on the bouncy bike (lovely with a lot more grip, but draggy).

It needs replacing now, but options for stock available in 26″ folding for the size I want are thin and mainly dual 60a/70a compound (with or without EXO).

What benefits / disadvantages are there with this compared to a single compound 60a? I don’t really understand dual compounds. I’m normally running 60a on my tyres. Obviously 70a is harder, but with a dual compound in what way does that affect things?

chrishc777
    Free Member

It’s a bit harder in the middle so it will roll faster and last longer whilst still having reasonable grip on the edges. You sacrifice a bit of straightline grip but 60-70a are both pretty hard I doubt you’d notice the difference. I have stocked up on Ardents as 26″ flavour ones are starting to be hard to find

deviant
    Free Member

The harder 70a compound will be a strip around the middle and will hold up better to fire road cycling, the odd Tarmac stretch etc…you then have softer rubber on the side for when you’re getting your Gnar on and leaning the bike around.

Been around on motorbikes for years.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Thanks.

A lot of what I ride on it is loamy to hard soil, trail mainly, less fireroady, often rooty. Been fine with the 60a Ardents.

I do sometimes chuck it round Surrey Hills also, bit more loose in places, more roots, the odd rock, and often a lot of mud. They’re not great in the mud, but can cope if not too sloppy. I mainly ride the bouncy bike round there though.

It’s on the rear and I don’t mind a bit of drift. I have a Minion always up front.

I might give the dual a go then unless I can find a decent 60a in stock.

Edit: actually, realised the dual Ardents are 62a/70a not 60a/70a

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Where are you fellow Luddites buying your 26″ Ardents from?

Would like a dual ply folding but struggling to find stock. My current Ardent is starting to look a bit sorry for itself.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Can’t find any dual plys, got my EXO from alltricks.com whilst ordering a shock so I got free postage. There are some on ebay atm

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Whoops, sorry meant dual compound.

Anybody using the race/exo Ardent? I’m currently on the bog standard Ardent and it’s only been on a few months but already needs swapping.

P.s. Sorry for the hijack deadkenny.

deadkenny
    Free Member

No worries 😀

I usually get mine from nextdaytyres.co.uk (who are actually next day). They’ve got the race in stock in 2.2 3C TR and TR/EXO. Not sure the race would be for me. I don’t race, and think the non-race would be a little more grippy. The race are billed as between an Ikon and a regular Ardent. The Ardent to me is like a ‘light’ version of the High Roller.

RustySpanner

Have you tried On One Smorgasbords?
    Superb rear tyre, three versions, much cheapness.

They really are stupid value for the cash, come up quite big though.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Think I’m going to go for the Dual Exo, sidewalls on my current Ardent are showing the casing where as my Minion upfront which is older but Exo looks almost new in comparison.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tyres (sorry) – Maxxis dual compound 60a/70a’ is closed to new replies.