Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tyres slipping on rim, tearing out valves… how to fix?
  • sideshow
    Free Member

So my tyres seem to slip around the rims a bit, to the point where I keep ripping out inner tube valves because the tube can’t rotate with the tyre.

Admittedly the tyres are an old set of intense comp 60 dual ply and are really knackered. But I’d like to keep riding them if possible, to save on buying more dual plys (which I rarely use). But the rubber is coming off the bead, it’s pretty much bare wire in places.

And the inner tubes are halfords cheapies, 5 for a tenner.

So what’s the solution? New tyres? Stronger tubes? More rim tape? Something else?

(Before you say it, probably not tubeless with the state of these beads!)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

New tyres.

Why ask though, your tyres sound totalled to me.

sideshow
    Free Member

Because like I said I don’t often run dual ply so I want to keep totalling my tyres 🙂 But I’ll go for new tyres if it’s the cheapest option in the long run.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Coat the inside of your rims with liquid rubber.

scaredypants

talc on the inner tubes, tubeless jizz on the bead

TBH, though, get some new tyres

bigyinn
    Free Member

Couple of things to try.
    Clean and degrease the inner of the rim where it comes into contact with the tyre bead, same with the tyre bead.
    Try roughly sanding the inner rim too, vertically so it gives the tyre something to grip.
    Use plenty of talc inside the tyre to stop it pulling the tube round with it and ripping out the valve.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 new tyres.

Just go tubeless with normal middleweight tyres, it negates most of the need for dual ply ones.

sideshow
    Free Member

Lol no spoon, I tried that, dinged the rims until they weren’t suitable for tubeless any more! which leaves my options as

1. put more air in (don’t be silly)
    2. win the lottery and buy new schwalbe procore system
    3. lose my job and have time to make ghetto procore system
    4. …stick with dual ply when needed? 😉

sideshow
    Free Member

What I’ve decided I’ll do is put up with the problem for a few rides where I pedal up the hill instead of getting uplift, and if I can cope with dual ply for general use I’ll get another set.

brant
    Free Member

There was a thread on this a few days ago.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-inner-tubes-keep-splitting-near-the-valve

Strangely, I’ve seen this occur seasonally. After long dry spells? I dunno… Always puzzled me.

globalti
    Free Member

Er… what pressures are you using? When I started mountain biking 27 years ago I had a strange idea that tyres should be run soft and squashy and this is exactly what happened to mine. Just pump them up to a decent pressure.

zilog6128

Zip-tie the tyres to the rims.

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

I have had this in the past, really annoying as there is no way you can patch that kind of puncture – talc on the tubes and higher pressures and that seems to have cured it. Oh and you probably need new tyres but I think you know that by now 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tyres slipping on rim, tearing out valves… how to fix?’ is closed to new replies.