Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tyres running egg shaped!
  • Bikepimp
    Free Member

As above fitted a pair of Racing ralphs to my bontrager wheels and appear to be running egg shaped. Removed the tyre and tube and checked the wheel which is running perfect. Anyone else experienced this? They are tubeless ready but just tubed at the moment. I'd appriciate any help.

Cheers

tron
    Free Member

My Schwalbe Fat Alberts don't run true. The first one just went completely to pot when I took it off for a tube change – wouldn't stay on the rim after, and the other one is a fair whack out too, despite not having been taken off the rim.

I think it may be a Schwalbe speciality.

Onzadog
    Free Member

soapy water between the bead and the rim then over inflate them. You'll hear a crack as the bead settles into the rim and then let them down to the pressure you want.

I have also seen this caused by cheap tubes as well.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Bead seating? Sometimes it gets trapped instead of sitting on the rim nicely. Results on flat spots and kinks. Usually relieved by splooshing the rim in watery washing up liquid and then over-inflating the tyre (~60psi) until it slips/pops into place. Doesn't always work.

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys and will give it a go tonight.

ziggy
    Free Member

A mate of mine had some Bontrager tubeless ready wheels, they were a PITA just to get tyres on and off, then when they were on he would have the same problems as you.

Got around it by just inflating up 80 psi with a track pump and eventually the tyres would pop round, try whacking some more air in and see what happens (obviously let them down to a sensible pressure after)

Whyte1
    Free Member

dont put too much pressure in though as the Schwalbe UST tyres pop of the rim very easily and you'll not be able to hear for days if it happens , it's happened to a few of us , it could also be a plain old egg in the tyre

cheers_drive

I have this problem with a Maxxis Advantage running tubeless on XT tubeless wheels. After the 2nd lap of bike fest I thought my front wheel was buckled but it turned out to be the tyre. I deflated and then re-inflated up to 60psi to seat the beads but still it doesn't run true?

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Hey guys just an update to inform you that using washing-up liquid and inflating the tyre to 60psi worked a treat. Pressures let down and bike tested. Magic and glad its worked out:)

Cheers

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yay!

ojom
    Free Member

dont put too much pressure in though as the Schwalbe UST tyres pop of the rim very easily and you'll not be able to hear for days if it happens , it's happened to a few of us , it could also be a plain old egg in the tyre

Yep – agreed.

As great as they are i do not appreciate the Bukkake party refugee look. Once blown off, never the same again.

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Buzzlightyear it's indeed Yay and glad it worked out. Cheers to everyone who posted any suggestions.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

my riding fella had same problem just he left it and rode a big decent and luckily it seated itself ok!!

nutter

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tyres running egg shaped!’ is closed to new replies.