Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tyres: Maxxis Advantage
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Looking to increase the grip levels on my bike currently have a 2.35 high roller on the front and a 2.35 Larson tt on the back both 60a.

I'm considering putting a 2.25/2.4 advantage on the front and the HR on the back. How do the sizes compare and what are the grip levels of the advantage like? Don't want to waste money trying them out.

Thanks.

Bert
    Free Member

I love them. Very grippy IMO. I have 2.25's are they as big as 2.35 HR's so I wouldn't go for the 2.4.

james
    Free Member

2.25" Advantages (Ardents, Crossmarks) are bigger than 2.35" High Rollers, Larsen TTs (Minions, Ignitors, Swampthings), they're the same wort of size as 2.5" High Rollers (& Minions). The tyre carcass I reckon is a bit bigger than the carcass/air volume of a 2.5" HR/Minion, just that the chunkier tread on a 2.5" HR/Minion makes them about the same overall volume (width & height)

2.25" Advantages really need pretty wide rims to get the most out of them though, they've a pretty round shape (the side tread isn't massively tall), so at higher pressures where they roll better, they don't corner that well. At lower pressures where they corner and grip reasonably well they roll really quite slow due to the width of them, and not having fully ramped tread
    Mavic XM719s (19mm internal, 24mm external) aren't really wide enough for eg

Whereas 2.35" Maxxis will run normal XC tubes fine, I've found the extra size of the 2.25" Advantages really makes the tubes have to stretch to make them fill out the tyre and they'll pinchflat quite easily, I was running 50/60psi before getting some Maxxis 1.2mm FR (300g) tubes. They actually fill the tyre without having to stretch loads, so I can run them with sensible pressures now

I saw a shop built SC nomad with a 2.4" advantage once, it really was huge, quite snug with the fork brace on the RS lyrik fork. It had a 2.25" on the back so I assume the 2.4" just wouldn't fit

I love them for straightline fast rocky stuff, the big volume is great

andylux
    Free Member

I ran a kevlar 2.35 HR (Front) and 2.25 Advantage (rear) on my 07 stumpy and it was a great combo. Awesome (IMO) for trail centres etc. The advantage is a bigger carcass as prev stated.

On my new build for the shova i've kept the Highroller on the front but switched to a 2.1 Advantage on the rear as i don't need the higher volume 2.25 for added comfort anymore. the 2.1 Adv is fairly equal in size to the 2.35 HR. A 2.1 Advantage is considerably higher volume than a 2.1 Crossmark which i bought initially to put on the back of the shova but that really was skinny for my near 16 stones worth!!

Baldysquirt

I have the 2.25 front and rear on my Prophet. I've only ridden with them once, but so far am impressed. Pretty light, pretty quick, and pretty grippy. I didn't notice them to be overly big and therefore a problem for tubes. I ran a 2.25 Ardent before, which was the same size carcass. I only had 2 pinch flats with those in 8 months of riding on a hardtail, but the carcass itself got cut up very quickly. I'm hoping the Advantages are a bit more robust. They certainly feel a bit more rubbery in the side walls, so they feel like they will be.

A guy I ride with has a MKII Nomad and has 2.4 Advantages front and rear, so they will fit.

james
    Free Member

"A 2.1 Advantage is considerably higher volume than a 2.1 Crossmark"
    Really? I thought they're pretty close (but not comparing on the same rims). The lower tread makes the crossmark smaller overall though

It was a mkI nomad. I'm only guessing it wouldn't fit, based on it not having one. They could have been trying to slacken it off a touch even when a 2.4" might have fitted

jim
    Free Member

I'm considering putting a 2.25/2.4 advantage on the front and the HR on the back.

Any particular reason for them to be this way round? I'd be more inclined to put the HR on the front and the advantage on the rear.

13thfloormonk

I'm a big fan of them, and have been running them ghetto tubeless on 717, 819 and WTB Laserdisc rims with no problems. I've been cornering quite hard at times and have had no issues with them rolling.

Nice fit and forget tread for most of the year.

mttm
    Free Member

As already mentioned, 2.25" and 2.4" Advantages are part of the "new skool" Maxxis sizing i.e. pretty much spot on – this makes them huge compared to older Maxxis tyres. The 2.25" Advantage is significantly greater volume than a 2.35" Highroller and a lot of this extra volume is in the height.

I wouldn't go for the 2.4" unless you're running seriously wide rims to really get the benefit. Personally I find the 2.25" sits happily on a 21mm rim, it's a bit too cramped on anything smaller, although it can be done.

Do they offer more grip than your current combo? It depends… As a rear fitment they will offer significantly improved cornering grip compared to your Larsen – there's simply a much better edge tread. As a front fitment they will offer some significant improvements in some areas over your Highroller (this is very subjective, btw!), but ultimately, the Highroller's pronounced edge rail will give it the nod in extreme cornering situations – but only in those extreme cornering situations! Everywhere else the Advantage will be better – a bit faster and a bit more predictable.

I should probably add that I'm not a fan of 60a Highrollers…

Should you try them? Oh yes, definitely! They're one of my all time favourite tyres – and I'm just a bit particular on this subject.

SOAP
    Free Member

I like the ADvantage 2.25 but keep getting flats
    so have gone back to heavy dual ply tyres.
    Can anyone recomend a medium weight tube to reduce this?

FuzzyWuzzy

Big fan of Advantages to as an all-round tyre, they are pants in mud though but most non-specific tyres are…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ive got 721s so that will be fine for the width of the 2.25s but wouldn't it just be nice if a manufacturer made all their tyres to the same dimensions so its not confusing.

jim – Member
    Any particular reason for them to be this way round? I'd be more inclined to put the HR on the front and the advantage on the rear.

I think the Advantages look like they should go on the front but I havn't found anything that suggests which end they are best on. Does anybody else agree with what Jim is saying?

mttm
    Free Member

I can see where jim is coming from – but I've tried that particular combo and found it really bad. The front felt very "nervous" compared to a very solid feel from the rear tyre. Certainly didn't encourage me to want to take advantage of the HR's cornering abilities. Might just be me, though.

Why don't you try 2.25" Advanatges front and rear? This works very, very well in a wide variety of situations.

BTW, they're not "bad" in mud, although being quite a big footprint and a fairly shallow tread, they do tend to float a bit.

carbon337
    Free Member

I run Advantage 2.25 front and rear – i'm a heavy and clumsy rider and have had problems in the past with pinch flats on every other tyre I have tries but none so far with these.

They are rubbish in snow though.

Id buy them again.

harryparabolics
    Free Member

+17 for ADvantages – they're a great allrounder, and good for lazy bastards that can't be arsed changing tyres. I run 2.1 though and find they offer all the grip you'll ever need – was running 2.25s but found them a little slow.

stumpyjon

Timely thread this. Pearls of wisdom below from the tyre expert at MMA Sports (the Maxxis UK distributor).

The 2.35 Kevlar 60a.

http://www.mmasports.com/maxxis/mountain-fr-highroller.php

The Kevlar tyre is great for 'freeride' trails with a bit of DH (unless it's full on DH, them the Dual ply is definitely what you need.) I wouldn't recommend the single ply for anything more than xc/ light freeride trails as the side walls are a little thin for the rocky stuff.

The Advantage is a good all rounder – high volume, lightweight, grippy on climbs and rolls fast. The 2.25 is big 2.25. If free ride / trails is your thing, this'll be good – as long as it's not big hits or rocky. Marginally lighter the Highroller too.

http://www.mmasports.com/maxxis/mountain-fr-advantage.php

I've got a pair of the High Rollers and Advantages on order direct from MMA at cost so I can have a real play session with them 😆

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tyres: Maxxis Advantage’ is closed to new replies.