Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tyres for winter?
  • yodagoat
    Free Member

I’m thinking about getting some winter tyres for my 456. I ride mostly in the woods which can become quite wet and I want to be out in the smow this year too. Should I be looking at some thing wide 2.3 – 2.5, or some ting much skinnier?

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

According to the latest issue of STW magazine, it’s these -Continental Baron 2.3

“Could be the best wet condition UK trail tyre ever…”

njee20
    Free Member

900g+, wouldn’t want to ride those uphill, maybe good for the gravity set, Bontrager Mud X if you don’t get a lift to the top IMO.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hainman
    Free Member

some one gave me some spesh eskar armadillos.will they do the job??have conti MK’s just now

enfht
    Free Member

Kenda Nevagals are light for their size and grippy in wet woods 🙂

trailmonkey

is winter wetter than summer then ?

yodagoat
    Free Member

what about the snow? Will the same tyres for muddy conditions be relatively OK in mud? Also I can’t afford to spend to much, but those conti baron’s are only 15 quid so thats pretty good.

Northwind

“hainman – Member

some one gave me some spesh eskar armadillos.will they do the job??have conti MK’s just now “

Depends which MK you have. Eskars are better than most of them though. A very good rear tyre, not so convinced about the front.

Can’t argue with Mud X or Medusa as a rear tyre for real mud. Never sure about fronts, I just stick with my Nevegals as they can do pretty much anything they set their mind to but then only so much of my riding is really in mud. But the 2.35 is bloody hard work in snow, not big enough to fload but too big to easily cut, not nice. Same’s probably true of most tyres that size tbh.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Not been on in a while, but pleased to see the tyre chat still continues.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a set of conti edges for use in mud. Seemed to do me fine last year – only really used at teh puffer with a combination of soft snow and mud.

Cheap as well £13 on wiggle

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

All depends where you ride. Maybe 2.1 rear with my Maxxis HR?

Mountain King II UST
    26 x 2,2 black/black Skin UST foldable 820
    26 x 2,4, black/black Skin UST foldable 880

Solo
    Free Member

My tyres for this winter will be the same tyres I’ve used this summer….

Bontrager Mud X, 2.0

😉

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Mud X are great and roll suprisingly well in the dry

postierich
    Free Member

MUD x all the way for woody,leafy,soily,marshy,boggy, pebbley stuff imho infact all year round use.

rewski
    Free Member

MUDX are ace

catfood
    Free Member

MudX are great winter tyres, I ran them all year round for a few years roll surprisingly well in the dry. If there are lots of wet roots where you are a Swampthing on the front and mud x out back is a great combinatin, its what I run now.

jwr

My winter setup is a Nokian Gazza 2.3″ on the rear and a WTB Weirwolf 2.4″ on the front. The Gazza finds traction in the gloop and the ‘wolf is pretty good on wet & muddy rocks etc.

-j

Keva
    Free Member

Bonty Mud X 2.0 is what I’ll be using on my Ti456 this winter when I eventually get around to swapping them.

Excellent mud tyres, excellent in the woods, roll well and a good all rounder.
    Work well in the snow too…

I like ’em so much I bought another set for my other bike.

mcboo
    Free Member

+1 Mud-X…..I honestly think they’re the best money I’ve spent on the bike this year. Lots of mud round here so I went the whole hog and stuck 1.8 on, another Ti456. Even on the dry fast sections I dont really notice any loss of stability in the corners, push them pretty hard. I’m 6’3 and 87kg so they get a workout……tremendous on roots too of which we have plenty.

Dont get Trailrakers…..not confidence inspiring and sooooooooooo slow.

glynP
    Free Member

what about the Medusa’s whats your opinions on them

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Specialized Storm or Bontranger Mud-X are good mixed conditions tyres.

Maxxis Swamp thing are great in the gloop, but hurt like hell on the harder stuff, still quite grippy at 45psi though which impoves their rolling somewhat.

Also the maxxis come with a warning about trail errosion, even when not skidding they really rip loose surfaces to shreds.

yodagoat
    Free Member

recon I’ll go for the mud X then.

yodagoat
    Free Member
    Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

depends where you ride.

hainman
    Free Member

northwind think there just the basic MK’S.rear is bald as a coute so swapping them over.so you think i should pick up something else for the front or just run with the armadillos

spanishfly
    Free Member

I just purchase medusa’s will fit them this weekend……….

stayhigh

I’ve just ordered a set of Mud X 2.0’s from Triton for my Heckler. I’ve always used the same tyres all year round so will be interested to see how these work out.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for winter?’ is closed to new replies.